Science Unlocks Big Head Mode For Ants

War Penguin

Serious Whimsy
Jun 13, 2009
Alright, it appears that I'm the only one thinking it, so I guess I'm going to be the only one saying it:

That shit actually looks kinda tasty.

ThunderCavalier

Nov 21, 2009
Surprising. I wasn't aware that animals could form societies where they recognize and care for their own that have genetic abnormalities, as well as using them for the betterment of their colony. I thought that they operated on the Darwinism, "You screwed up somewhere, so you die." type of system.

At the same time, though...

Grey Carter said:
In fact, you could say I anticipate them.
Boooooo.

Bad Grey. Never try to be punny again.

Angus565

Mar 21, 2009
AAAH. THE ANT PUNS!
Oh god the ant puns!!
It would be fantastic if I could resist making my own...

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
Ah, puns. They are the candy of the literary world. Small and sweet, but if you have to many, you get sick.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
THEM!

Aw shit, just wait until the rest of their body grows to that size.
BehattedWanderer said:
Very, very close to an actual film :p.

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
xXxJessicaxXx said:
They better stop fiddling with them or we might be looking at shooting their antenna to protect Greyditch...
That was my first thought too... damn I hated those things!

Also:

"Those of you who volunteered to be injected with Praying Mantis DNA... I've got some good news and some bad news. Bad news is we're postponing those tests indefinitely. Good news is we've got a much better test for you. Fighting an army of Mantis Men! Pick up a rifle and follow the yellow line. You'll know when the test starts."

We're one step away people, one step...

Alleged_Alec

Sep 2, 2008
Baresark said:
cardinalwiggles said:
I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords. ....... GOD DAMN IT.

personally messing around with ANT DNA is going to be bad. i predict DOOOOOOOOMMMMM DOOOOOMMM!!!!
Haha, well said. But, as an aside, this isn't genetic engineering. As a matter of fact, you can put this as one check mark into the epigenetics column, where it's a phenotypical trait controlled by the environment.
I wouldn't call this epigenetics either; I'd reserve that term for things like DNA/histon methylation and acetylation and the like. This is just adding more of a hormone.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Way a go for adding fuel to my nightmare and I wasn't afraid of ants in the first place. I mean the huge head is creepy as hell!!!

Risingblade

Mar 15, 2010
xXxJessicaxXx said:
There is no words to describe how much I love the title of this article. I already saw it on Twitter,

Their bitey things (mandibles?) look huge.

They better stop fiddling with them or we might be looking at shooting their antenna to protect Greyditch...
Look on the bright side, you'll get +1 strength or perception for killing ants!

kittii-chan 300

Feb 27, 2011
Thank you so much for this!!! You've taken my mind of off Russian sleep experiment! Not any more though cause I'm a moron and started typing again! God damn it, why did i read that?!!! I have to shout to drive insanity away! Curse you slender man ;(

OT: Yeah, these things are scary. End of the world by ants... getting eaten by that thing would hurt. Either that or their heads get too heavy / big and break the ants neck/ explode.

(DO NOT LOOK UP RUSSIAN SLEEP EXPERIMENT OUT OF CURIOSITY.)

TheLazyGeek

Nov 7, 2009
So this would make Ehab Abouheif the AntAgonizer. Someone adamantly call the Mechanist before these mutants get out of hand. Or maybe just have a can of antifreeze ready at all times.

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
omicron1 said:
These aren't your father's ants.
These are great ants.
Which, I suppose, does make them your father's ants...

Confused?
Ant->aunt
Except I'm English, so aunt = 'arnt'.

madster11

Aug 17, 2010
Why, scientists?

I swear they all get together once or twice a year and say "So, what can we do this year to scare the shit out of ordinary people?"
"I have an idea, Sir"
"Yes Arthur?"
"Let's supersize Ants. But only the parts that can cause pain."
"EXCELLENT."

Flames66

Aug 22, 2009
Grey Carter said:
And now, I bet I'm going to see a lot of "I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords," references in the comments. In fact, you could say I anticipate them.
Oh my goodness that was funny in a terrible way.

lRookiel

Lord of Infinite Grins
Jun 30, 2011
Scientist 1: "Should be start on that cure for cancer?"

Scientist 2: "Nah, lets grow ant heads for fun"

Scientist 1: "...... Good idea"

and this is exactly why we know scientists have too much free time...

M0rp43vs

Most Refined Escapist
Jul 4, 2008
Best stock up on ammunition, flamethrowers, magnifying glasses and a big ol' boot.

(Aside: does anyone remember cheat codes, where you enter bunch of button presses and wacky stuff happens? Are they still around?
In fact, are big head cheats going the way of the record scratch sound effect? Everyone knows about it but no one knows where it comes from?)

Blunderboy

Apr 26, 2011
Science, I implore you. STAY AWAY FROM GOD MODE!

Also, what happens if you can make the DNA sequence read like the Konami code?

Supersoldier ants are far larger than their regular soldier counterparts and use their comically oversized noggins to block nest entrances should enemy ants draw near.
Now that's using your head.
:p

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
I actually find this quite interesting!

Kinda wish they would start doing this with other insects aswell ! would make for some funny pictures :)