Scientists Create Deus Ex-Style Biofuel Battery

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Patrick_and_the_ricks said:
So jerking off with my robotic hand would require candy bars?

:D
Not just Snickers and Baby Ruths, but special candy bars!

OT: That is freaking awesome! I want one now!

Don Savik

Aug 27, 2011
Now all I need is a HUD in my eyes and I'm set. And maybe a grappling hook in my arm......yea...

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
Hevva said:
Biofuel cells could also be useful outwith the human body. Sony, for instance, has expressed an interest in biofuel cell research for its phones and laptops.
Does anyone else find it a strange set of coincidences that their latest UELA makes it impossible to take legal action against Sony, and now they're interested in turning human beings into batteries? I'm just saying... uh-oh.

ckam

Make America Great For Who?
Oct 8, 2008
I'm not very happy about the going under the knife thing with augmentations, but this does sound pretty fucking awesome.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
I can't help but suspect people will be surgically implanting biofuel cells into their bodies to power their cellphones.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
I am fully willing to embrace my new augmented body parts complete with biofuel cells. Where's the nearest limb clinic?

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Anyone remember this old jingle; A Mars a day helps you work, rest and play! That candy company saw the future alright.

Would it need actual sugar though? American candy uses that corn substitute in most of its candy and fizzy drinks.

How did we go from protein based candy bars in DE:HR to the Soylent Green-esque candy in the original DE?

Blind Sight

May 16, 2010
DRes82 said:
This is awesome. It seems that Deus Ex was quite accurate in its timeline. It will be really cool if I can get an augmented limb or something in my lifetime. haha
Well, cept the fact that there was no RoboCop statue in Detroit haha. I just know they're going to end up building one.

I'm interested in the applications of this, but I'll wait to see them before I get all excited. Remember the cancer-preventing chemical being researched at the University of Alberta? Thought not, cause it hasn't worked out that well. Or the cold virus-based cancer killing program? Still working on that. Science moves in small steps, so I prefer to wait to see the results before I'm excited, rather then the theory.

Racecarlock

Jul 10, 2010
I wonder if I'll wake up tomorrow and we'll have invented wormhole or FTL drives. We have lightning that sings, quantum levitation, commercial space travel, antimatter held for 16 minutes, quark-gluon plasma, lightning that sings (look up the zeusaphone), computers in our pockets (Tablets), wireless controllers, body tracking cameras that can translate movement into game controlling and also have computer voice control from star trek(kinect), and portable 3d gaming platforms (3DS). And the last two are considered mere gimmicks rather than incredible innovations. Also we have infra red lasers than can indeed burn through shit. And intelligent robots. Yep, this is definitely someone's future vision in its infancy.

LorienvArden

Feb 28, 2011
samsonguy920 said:
(There are days when I am at work I could probably power NYC for a month with what I do.)
When working out, you'll roughly generate around 120 Watts of energy through physical activity that could be used. Not exactly enough to power NYC for more then a fraction of a second.

If you want to tap into the chemical energy of your body - well if you cremate yourself and used your whole bodymass to power a generator you would get considerably more... but I wouldn't suggest trying that.
The problem with energy generated by the body is simply that said body generates that energy for a specific reason and if you tap into that to use the energy for something else - you'll most likely feel sideeffects.

Btw - you would NOT lose weight by charging a battery like that. You'ld feel weak, hungry and get a headache from not having enough sugar in your blood.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
lol. sounds like games are no longer fiction. well, at least with a SIFI story.
so in future we can expect that our mars, twix, snickers etc will recharge our batteries? sounds alright to me. as long they keep it healthy and it tastes alright of course.

The Lugz

Apr 23, 2011
Xanadu84 said:
...Hypothetically...does this mean that you can burn a few hundred calories by charging a cell phone? Can I lose weight by charging my DS instead of running?

Anyone who says that the world is going downhill is an idiot. The future ROCKS.
you'd burn the fat, but you'd still be unhealthy
same deal as the drinks that make you loose 200 calories or more

they work, but you'll never be healthy doing it.

this is more of a 'technological parasite'
than anything else
it just steals your oxygen.

SamuelT

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2009
Country
Nederland
Don Savik said:
Now all I need is a HUD in my eyes and I'm set. And maybe a grappling hook in my arm......yea...
No man! Don't you know!

A grappling hook in your arm requires a human brain to function, preferrably one that is close to you. Like your wife!

THEY'LL KILL YOUR WIFE.