Scientists Create Deus Ex-Style Biofuel Battery

ryo02

Oct 8, 2007
Dr. wonderful said:
"which uses the oxygen and glucose found within the bloodstream to create electricity by breaking down the glucose molecules"

...Is it strange that my Teacher and I were discussing this shit last week. It started as a joke about how the body is like abattery and would need some type of fuel like a candy bar.

We had a good laugh.

He's going to flip later when I tell him.
let us all know how that goes when you tell him heh

this breakthrough is good news along with all the others real working prosthetics arent far away I think just a few more years if were lucky?.

Jan 27, 2011
marurder said:
Wont somebody PLEASE think of the oil and coal companies!?
...Coal powered pacemakers?!

0_o

"Dude, you should stop smoking! I see puffs of smoke coming from your mouth all the time!"

"oh, that? That's just my coal powered pacemaker! Which reminds me, I need to go fill it up again! *opens chest, and starts shoveling coal into it*"

Tharwen

Ep. VI: Return of the turret
May 7, 2009
There must have been some effect on the rat. Was it more hungry? Did it have low blood sugar levels? Also, how did they measure the output of a battery that was inside it?

Hevva said:
I am more than happy to settle for the prospect of charging my phone using nothing more than water and sugar.
Or, better yet, just bleed on it.

UltraXan

Mar 1, 2011
This is awesome! And guys, think about this: Not only will be be able to power robotic limbs using this technology, but if we can power these batteries using only sugar and water, this provides an alternative to gasoline! And to think, it's just sugar and water! Oh, the possibilities... The world may not be in the shitter after all! :D

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
Sweet. Now, I really hope that one of the unmentioned augmentations in DXHR is something like a self-cleaning set of teeth, seeing as I can't see scarfing down four or five energy bars as being terribly good on them.

Now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure Adam Jensen's dentist must be depressed.

Dentist: "Shit, Adam. We're going to have to go for a bridge, now. Didn't I tell you to brush your goddamned teeth more often?! And what happened to flossing?!"
Jensen: *with mouth full of Novocaine* "Ah nuvuh askth fuh thish."

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Not all that surprising, given the electrolytic potential that exists in just our blood.
Why not sugars and fatty acids as well?

Jonci

Sep 15, 2009
That BBC article is a bit late to the game. I read about this biocell technology two years ago. Still good to see good research staying in the light.

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
I guarantee this will be a weight-loss surgery in the next few years. "Just one short surgery and then dial up your metabolism. Simply increase the output of your battery to burn calories, and decrease it when you've reached your ideal weight!"

Don Savik

Aug 27, 2011
SamuelT said:
Don Savik said:
Now all I need is a HUD in my eyes and I'm set. And maybe a grappling hook in my arm......yea...
No man! Don't you know!

A grappling hook in your arm requires a human brain to function, preferrably one that is close to you. Like your wife!

THEY'LL KILL YOUR WIFE.
Good thing I've never had a girlfriend :D
The outcasts with no attachments make the best supersoldiers
plus I always wanted this as my theme song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPtHTroVWPM
(video embed aint working srry)

FarleShadow

Oct 31, 2008
IamLEAM1983 said:
Dentist: "Shit, Adam. We're going to have to go for a bridge, now. Didn't I tell you to brush your goddamned teeth more often?! And what happened to flossing?!"
Sarif: "Replace his teeth with the jaws of life"
Dentist: "But Mr Sarif.."
Sarif: "REPLACE HIS TEETH WITH THE JAWS OF LIFE OR YOU'RE FIRED".

Now Jensen sounds even more like a piece of construction machinery.

Dutch 924

Making the impossible happen!
Dec 8, 2010
Very interesting.
The sooner they create this stuff, the sooner I can start saying, "My vision is augmented"

GamemasterAnthony

Dec 5, 2010
Metalrocks said:
lol. sounds like games are no longer fiction. well, at least with a SIFI story.
...and this wasn't the first time either. Star Trek has had an effect on real life as well. Not only do people believe that the original flip-open design of cell phones were based on the old style Star Trek communicator, but it would be hard not to notice the connection between tablet PCs and the PADDs of Star Trek.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
"If you were in a country without electricity, and needed to re-charge a bio fuel cell, all you would have to do is add sugar and water,"

Yeah, because in such countries clean water and lots of sugar are soooo easy to come by....

Frost27

Good news everyone!
Jun 3, 2011
Patrick_and_the_ricks said:
So jerking off with my robotic hand would require candy bars?

:D
Would this be called the "wired stranger"?

Also, couldn't they just design a machine that absorbs bio energy and expends it harmlessly and install it as a weight loss/toning aid?

Macheteswordgun

Jul 24, 2010
MercurySteam said:
Hmm...

Step 1. Eat candy

Step 2. Pull someone's head off

Step 3. Repeat step 1 + 2

Step 4. Profit!
Some might say with this logic....
/sunglasses

It will blow your head off your shoulders

YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
MercurySteam said:
Hmm...

Step 1. Eat candy

Step 4. Profit!
You forgot the ???? step.

OT: I'm suddenly a lot less scared of losing a limb in my Royal Marines service.

MercurySteam

Tastes Like Chicken!
Legacy
Apr 11, 2008
binnsyboy said:
MercurySteam said:
Hmm...

Step 1. Eat candy

Step 4. Profit!
You forgot the ???? step.
Don't need it, as this process works so well (in theory anyways).