Scientists Create Extra-Long Life Beer

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
DVS BSTrD said:
Bara_no_Hime said:
DVS BSTrD said:
I wonder how much beer I'd have to drink before that looked attractive.
Is this better?

I was tempted to go with this one in the first place, but there was just something so wonderfully absurd about the first one.

Ah, the Oatmeal.

... which you can also use to make beer. See, I'm On Topic. ^^

That IS a lot sexier, but the first one doesn't look like a bad photoshop.
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8528/8525248782_0772392a5b.jpg
What do you MEAN "bad" photoshop? BAD? It even has drop shadow shit going on in that. Thats some serious pro level shoopin

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
VanQ said:
Grey Carter said:
Shamanic Rhythm said:
Grey Carter said:
Now, what any self-respecting ale-head will tell you is that strong beers already age very well. This new barley is really only relevant to the flavorless goat pee that makes up the vast majority of successful canned beers. To wit; This new barley probably won't make Foster's taste any better, but at least it can't make it any worse.
Are you trying to tell me that people actually drink Fosters?
Not "people" per-se. Australians.
You won't find any Foster's here, mate. We export that shit because we refuse to drink it yet Americans pay top dollar for it because it's Australian and Beer at the same time.

Toohey's and VB are what you want to be drinking if you want good Aussie beer.
I don't drink beer but my mates do and sometimes they drink Fosters
Basically depends what's cheapest at the moment

Finland reporting in :p

Boris Goodenough

Jul 15, 2009
Big_Boss_Mantis said:
Evil Smurf said:
Beer does not last long around me so all this science may be wasted.
I just came here to say that. Seems like my work has been done for me.

So, if anyone needs me, I`ll be at the bar... Bye.
Damnit, double ninja'ed

Paradoxrifts said:
Aged goat's urine is still goat's urine. Enzyme or no enzyme.
Well if you drink goat's urine because you thought it was beer, I can understand why you don't like beer.

Scarecrow

Jun 27, 2010
Yaay, now idiots can get drunk for longer on less money! That's just wonderful. I'm so glad this is a thing.

Boris Goodenough

Jul 15, 2009
Scarecrow said:
Yaay, now idiots can get drunk for longer on less money! That's just wonderful. I'm so glad this is a thing.
No? I just makes the beer have a longer expiration time, and not smell so bad when left unattended for a night.

Scarecrow

Jun 27, 2010
Boris Goodenough said:
Scarecrow said:
No? I just makes the beer have a longer expiration time, and not smell so bad when left unattended for a night.
So it lasts longer, so people can buy more and not worry about it going off, so they overall buy less over time. Really, the last thing Australia needs is more kinds of beer, or things to make beer better.

Starik20X6

Oct 28, 2009
VanQ said:
Grey Carter said:
Shamanic Rhythm said:
Grey Carter said:
Now, what any self-respecting ale-head will tell you is that strong beers already age very well. This new barley is really only relevant to the flavorless goat pee that makes up the vast majority of successful canned beers. To wit; This new barley probably won't make Foster's taste any better, but at least it can't make it any worse.
You won't find any Foster's here, mate. We export that shit because we refuse to drink it yet Americans pay top dollar for it because it's Australian and Beer at the same time.

Toohey's and VB are what you want to be drinking if you want good Aussie beer.
You didn't really just call VB a good Australian beer did you? VB is just the worst, James Squire is where it's at.

Boris Goodenough

Jul 15, 2009
Scarecrow said:
So it lasts longer, so people can buy more and not worry about it going off, so they overall buy less over time.
Maybe? Most beer gets drunk before expiration, at least that I know of.
Really, the last thing Australia needs is more kinds of beer, or things to make beer better.
You're worse than Hitler! (slight hyperbole).

SpAc3man

Jul 26, 2009
This is irrelevant to my brewing needs. A good quality high strength beer with a focus on malt will age very well without this new barley while a good beer that has a focus on hops and therefore does not age well will not benefit at all because it should be drunk as soon as possible before the hop flavour mellows too much.

As the article states: this is a development to prolong the shelf life of mainstream flavourless "premium" (piss) lagers that have next to nothing in terms of malt, hops or flavour.

Boris Goodenough

Jul 15, 2009
SpAc3man said:
As the article states: this is a development to prolong the shelf life of mainstream flavourless "premium" (piss) lagers that have next to nothing in terms of malt, hops or flavour.
Heineken is in dire need of it.
Don't judge, it was a very good sale, which I have regretted ever since, also the second time because I thought it would be different.

Paradoxrifts

Jan 17, 2010
Boris Goodenough said:
Paradoxrifts said:
Aged goat's urine is still goat's urine. Enzyme or no enzyme.
Well if you drink goat's urine because you thought it was beer, I can understand why you don't like beer.
Beer is an acquired taste, as in people generally acquire it from their alcoholic parents. :p

Boris Goodenough

Jul 15, 2009
Paradoxrifts said:
Beer is an acquired taste, as in people generally acquire it from their alcoholic parents. :p
Then all my friends are children of alcoholics, time to revise the alcoholic statistics, speaking of which the guy in your avatar is a spitting image of the guy I drank beer with yesterday.

Paradoxrifts

Jan 17, 2010
Boris Goodenough said:
Paradoxrifts said:
Then all my friends are children of alcoholics, time to revise the alcoholic statistics, speaking of which the guy in your avatar is a spitting image of the guy I drank beer with yesterday.
What definition of "alcoholism" are we talking about here? The one that is pushed by the preventative healthcare lobby wherein if you touch a glass of alcohol on consecutive days and you're a raging drunk, or the more widely accepted version that centers more on the type of people who destroy their livers by drinking themselves to sleep most every night?

And that's a picture of a young Aleister Crowley. He's been dead for almost sixty-five years.

Boris Goodenough

Jul 15, 2009
Paradoxrifts said:
What definition of "alcoholism" are we talking about here? The one that is pushed by the preventative healthcare lobby wherein if you touch a glass of alcohol on consecutive days and you're a raging drunk, or the more widely accepted version that centers more on the type of people who destroy their livers by drinking themselves to sleep most every night?
You know, you should really polish your hyperbolic practice because it is very misleading.

But I guess most would fall in the former, I don't personally know any functioning (real) alcoholics (I can smell it on people's skin). And I tend to view alcoholism as if you have to get a (or half a bottle of scotch) drink in the morning to just to be able to function.
Speaking of which, saw a few guys sitting and drinking 7:50 this morning on the way to swimming (which was closed for repairs *sadface*)

And that's a picture of a young Aleister Crowley. He's been dead for almost sixty-five years.
Well it looks like by friend in that picture, not so much in others.

gyroscopeboy

Nov 27, 2010
Grey Carter said:
Shamanic Rhythm said:
Grey Carter said:
I am a 27 year old beer swilling, footy watching Australian male, and i've never drunk a Fosters in my life...In fact the only time I've seen it advertised was in a closed bar window in Seattle.

Fosters is the most famous Australian beer we never drink.

Boris Goodenough

Jul 15, 2009
gyroscopeboy said:
Australian male, and i've never drunk a Fosters in my life...In fact the only time I've seen it advertised was in a closed bar window in Seattle.

I like how you take offense to being told you drink Fosters but not to the implication that you're not a real human because you live in Australia.

TheIronDuke

Nov 19, 2009
Boris Goodenough said:
gyroscopeboy said:
Australian male, and i've never drunk a Fosters in my life...In fact the only time I've seen it advertised was in a closed bar window in Seattle.

I like how you take offense to being told you drink Fosters but not to the implication that you're not a real human because you live in Australia.
The implication that we drunk Fosters had much higher priority on the scale of insults.