Scientists Create Gun That Physically Stops You From Talking

Eggsnham

Apr 29, 2009
Where can I get one?

Seriously, I could find about a thousand uses for this thing. Including but not limited to: forcing my little brother to SHUT. THE. FUCK. UP.

Eggsnham

Apr 29, 2009
Montezuma said:
Or, you could just point a regular gun at them, get the same result, if they aren't stupid.
With the added bonus of potentially condemning yourself to a prison sentence.

SaintWaldo

Interzone Vagabond
Jun 10, 2008
But what if you're a vocalist trained to listen to your voice through monitors, with a 200 ms delay effect for "space"?

See, I KNEW that garage band experience would pay off someday.

Dastardly

Imaginary Friend
Apr 19, 2010
Mike Kayatta said:
Scientists Create Gun That Physically Stops You From Talking
As someone who works with sound every day, I really don't see this being effective. Focused directional microphones are old hat, and lots of people already experience exactly this kind of delay when speaking into mics connected to sound systems.

When I'm doing the morning announcements at school, I get a delay like that. You learn to just tune it out and continue speaking.

That all said, this gun does not physically stop you from talking. If it somehow generated a wave that interfered with the vibration of your vocal folds, that'd be physically stopping you. This just kind of... maybe irritates you into stopping?

rapidoud

Feb 1, 2008
Proverbial Jon said:
Mike Kayatta said:
According to the team who put this 1984 2012 wonder together...
I see what you did there.

OT: I'm not even sure I understand how this works... so it just echoes the voice of the speaker? Does that stop them speaking simply because they can't comprehend their own words then? That would mean the actual stopping part would be entirely voluntary on the speaker's part.

Still quicker to just shoot them.

[sub][sub](I don't support the act of shooting people.)[/sub][/sub]
I've seen something similar done in person a decade ago, except they had headphones and it played back the voice I think 600ms later. The idea is that the person becomes fixated on the speech being played back rather than their own. Out of a dozen people that used it not a single one could speak a normal sentence coherently.

Although being a musician I'm used to people playing/speaking out of time :p.

dessertmonkeyjk

Nov 5, 2010
So it's simply the equivalent of turning on Playback on your headset microphone so you'll hear what it hears a second afterward... what?

So what stops them from using earplugs?

rapidoud

Feb 1, 2008
dessertmonkeyjk said:
So it's simply the equivalent of turning on Playback on your headset microphone so you'll hear what it hears a second afterward... what?

So what stops them from using earplugs?
The fact that they won't know you'll be using this in advance. That's about it really.

A directional 'playback' that will annoy you, and it won't be a continous feedback (i.e. it won't always be 200ms, it will vary as you move, if you try to avoid it it will be far harder to concentrate than 'morning announcements at school' in a hall once a week).

aashell13

Jan 31, 2011
unacomn said:
They actually made a gun that can kill freedom of speech. I see no way this can be missused in the wrong hands. Nope, nothing comes to mind, not a single thing.
oh, they've had those, this one's just quieter and makes less of a bloody mess...

And since the previous incarnations are regulated closely, this one ought to be too.

hexFrank202

Mar 21, 2010
I may not be the first to point this out, but this device will be available to buy at BDSM sites within five years.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
I grow just as tired of any ignorant loudmouth as the next guy, but in the end I am of the camp that sees more potential for abuse than for any benefit.
Slycne said:
Cool expierment. As someone that's accidentally been on the receiving end of this effect (we were testing a streaming set up, but you ended up hearing yourself on a delay) it's incredibly jarring and very hard to keep a train of though going.

Though a few of the doom and gloomers here are failing to account for the fact that you need to be able to hear this device.
And then we segue to:
antipunt said:
Couldn't you just wear a set of earplugs?
Innegativeion said:
Or... fuck it, just shove your fingers in your ears xD.
Amazing how mundane devices can defeat thousands or even millions of dollars worth of research and work. I wouldn't be surprised if we see sub-standard versions like these being sold on QVC after the government grows frustrated with it.
The side benefit is the potential for public speakers who are giving an awesome motivational speech, but instead look like: "Lah lah lah, I can't hear you!"
SurfinTaxt said:
I have a gun that can do that. Its called a shotgun
Samurai Silhouette said:
A normal gun can stop you from physically talking too.
Montezuma said:
Or, you could just point a regular gun at them, get the same result, if they aren't stupid.
TrilbyWill said:
Any of them think "why not just point a bullet-shooting gun at someone and tell them to shut up?"
gyroscopeboy said:
Im pretty sure a regular gun stops you from talking too.
*golf clap*
Nice to see we have a brain trust going on in the exact opposite direction here. You guys should take some time and think about the consequences of using such violence on someone who is just overusing their yap.
See you after 25 years to life.

Sporky111

Digital Wizard
Dec 17, 2008
I knew it was customary in Japan to avoid open confrontation, but I didn't expect them to start enforcing it.

Thomas Lyons

Mar 3, 2011
You guys do realize that this probably wouldn't work on everyone. For example, trained broadcast professionals like Rush Limbaugh have been trained over the years to be able to listen to themselves as they speak. When you call in to a radio show, they tell you to turn down your radio because most people who call do not have the ability to listen to themselves on the radio as they speak on the phone. I tried it once with my computer microphone and it definitely worked on me. Sorry to rain on the parade of you libs, but talk radio hosts would most likely be immune to this...

Valanthe

Sep 24, 2009
Voltano said:
OT: I'm not even sure I understand how this works... so it just echoes the voice of the speaker? Does that stop them speaking simply because they can't comprehend their own words then? That would mean the actual stopping part would be entirely voluntary on the speaker's part.
You can experience the exact thing this device replicates on any VOIP program, like Ventrillo or Teamspeak. If the person you are speaking to has voice activation on, and their outbound coming through standard speakers, as opposed to a headset, when you speak to them, your voice will activate their mic and send your voice back to you on a slight delay. As someone who uses these programs for a lot of things, I can assure you that it is nearly -impossible- to speak over yourself like that, you end up tripping over your own words and are rendered unable to complete even simple sentences.

Tropico1

Aug 27, 2008
This just sounds like the effect you get when some dumbass on your voice chat in a game isn't wearing a headset and you hear yourself speaking with a short delay everytime you say something.

If it is in fact just that, I can testify that while annoying, it's pretty easy to overcome after a while if you put your mind to it.

Then again, the way the quote is talking about it makes it sound like they just want to use it in very short bursts in specific instances, where the shock of experiencing the effect by surprise would be what shuts people up more than anything else, in which case it would work fine.

But it's not by any means a "make you quiet and keep you quiet" thing, but more of a "startle you out of what you're currently saying" thing.