Scientists Debate Magical DNA Teleportation

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
Beefious Maximus said:
I really don't want to sound pretentious, but as someone who works with DNA I find it extremely difficult to believe that DNA was replicated using water as a template. It raises a lot of questions that I'm sure will come up in peer review. I could be mistaken, but it appears that this has been submitted for publication, but not actually accepted and published. I would wait and see where this article ends up before taking it too seriously.
Ideally transcriptanase can replicate a-t/u, g-c base combinations right? So logically you could imprint a polypeptide as long as the medium and solution is pH neutral right? (been 10 years since I studied this crap)

I mean we already know an electro-magnetic field is uniform in wavelength. What's to say you can't xerox a genetic template onto essentially a compatible series of protein chains design to facilitate that vrery purpose within a uniform-magnetic field?

Coould explain the relationship between cancer and EM radiation from com towers.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
All I can say is "prove it"

Poor scientists dream of ideas. Great scientists dream of proofs.

Publish an experiment proving this effect would be far more interesting.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Creos said:
Baresark said:
I don't understand why it's so hard for people to believe that people's and the planets electromagnetic fields are so intertwined. On a purely scientific and evolutionary level, everything on the planet evolved as it is today on this planet. Migratory birds, for example determine their path at least partially according to earths magnetic fields. And all things on this planet produce a magnetic field. Yet it is outside believability that cells have a way of copying DNA that science is only now potentially discovering.

Creos said:
This... sounds very much like the absolute crap that homeopathy is supposed to be based on. That water can 'remember' stuff that was put in it, from which they can then sell pills that don't actually have /any/ active ingredients in them and claim that it's functional medicine.

Homeopathy has failed every legitimate, large subject group test it has ever been put to. It should have passed them if it was possible for water to 'remember' DNA in a similar way, so I'm pretty darn skeptical and I'll want a detailed explanation of why this new thing works and Homeopathy does not.
You shouldn't lump all forms of homeopathic medicine together. That is just stupid. There are many forms of it, and a lot of them are bullshit. Then there are some that are very effective, two that immediately jump to mind are herbology and "Japanese" Acupuncture. Many have argued, and quite successfully for some, that simply because science is only just catching up to them, doesn't mean they don't work or are ineffective. I myself had an acupuncture treatment that pretty much cured my blown knee. I went from limping and wearing a knee brace 24/7 to walking unassisted without a limp since then. I met a guy who every doctor in the book said he would never walk again, walking up and down stairs, going to the bathroom and everything. He shattered his C4 and C5 Vertebrae in a diving accident.

On the flip side, I once met someone who was convinced Acupuncture could cure her cancer, and that didn't work out. Both sides of the argument are completely legitimate. Usually, in Western thought, breaking it down and codifying it makes it work and makes the spread of the knowledge better. In Eastern though, things go deeper than what can be transmitted in books. There are examples of both things being true though.

On a final note, this is not at all DNA "transportation" as much as it is DNA copying. Cells have been doing this since they have existed in a multi-cellular system, and I know for a fact that not all forms of cellular reproduction are understood completely.
Well... now I'm slightly pissed.

Not at you mind you. You bring up good points. I am pissed that things like acupuncture, which have some pretty interesting and remarkable, if inconsistent, results behind them are being associated with homeopathy, which /never/ performs better than placebo when put to proper tests.

Seriously. Homeopathy takes two fairly far out claims and puts them together.

The first is that water can remember stuff that was dissolved and/or mixed with it. The very fact that people don't fall over dead from drinking water that came from a water treatment plant proves that this idea is ludicrous.

Second, it makes use of the idea that 'dilution increases potency'. This should immediately raise eyebrows as to what people who make this snake oil are trying to pull. Really, if using a diluted active ingredient worked better than using the real thing, big buisiness would be all over this, and if they really worked better, real doctors would be prescribing these pills and homeopathy would not be considered alternative medicine.

But, there's wierder ideas in the world that are actually true. So lets be fair and consider just how much dilution is done on average to true homeopathic medicine. To steal a properly geek-acceptable analogy from rationalwiki to show just how insane this idea is, pretend one pixel in your computer monitor is our sample of active ingredient... that term is too fumbly. Lets say it's aspirin. One pixel on your computer monitor is your starting ammount of aspirin. Now take a disc the size of our solar system made out of same sized pixels to be the water and add your single pixel of aspirin to it. Then shake it all up (actually, beat it against a piece of wood. No seriously. This is the part that lets them get away with selling it as something other than the water it really is) and fill up your pills. That is the level of dilution homeopathy does. Do you really think you're going to get any aspirin in that? Oh wait, the water is supposed to know what to do to make your headache stop now.

well... that was.... off topic in the thread... oh well
LoL, interesting fact about me, I am a professional foot in mouth guy. In other words, I read homeopathy, and my brain spits out Holistic. See what I did there?

You make fantastic points. It's the opposite idea that most medicines, including herbology and acupuncture use. The idea is to refine and concentrate something. Whether it be more herbs in the same amount of solution, or energetic tweaking along certain meridians. We see this same example in what drug companies do when they research new drugs.

The only thing it doesn't counteract is the general consensus that the overall health of your psyche is important in medical treatments. Oncologists say that if a person optimistic about their treatment, the treatment is more likely to be successful. But, I am convinced that no matter how optimistic you are about the aspirin in your example, it's not going to help you at all, haha. I stand corrected good sir, thank you for setting me strait.

TheEvilCheese

Cheesey.
Dec 16, 2008
Twilight_guy said:
Meh, I've heard of crazier stuff in quantum physics. Now quantum entanglement, that's magic.
Pretty much exactly what I was thinking, I mean really, if we are to believe in quantum entanglement then this doesn't sound that far fetched.

But to be honest, I highly doubt that it is true.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Treblaine said:
All I can say is "prove it"

Poor scientists dream of ideas. Great scientists dream of proofs.

Publish an experiment proving this effect would be far more interesting.
The argument, "absence of evidence is not evidence of absence", comes to mind here. In other words, he said A happened and caused B. But just because A didn't happen, doesn't mean that B didn't happen. Perhaps this did take place as he stated, only the methodology of the actual interaction and way it occurred could be negative. Time will tell. He didn't return (according to him anyway) a null value, he returned a positive value (once again, according to him).

Can't wait to see what happens with the peer review.

Even if this article is complete bunk, it's fun to think about it. :)

Feb 13, 2008
Ghengis John said:
Well not that I believe the operation Rainbow story but that was supposed to be a cloaking field. Even if that was remotely possible in the 1940's it's not the same thing.
PaulH said:
If I'm not mistaken it caused quite a controversy amongst ufologists ... but wasn't the entire experiment debunked as a hoax?
Well, the Philadelphia Experiment [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philadelphia_Experiment] (Project Rainbow) is infamous as never being proved or disproved.

The original idea (using a variation on the Unified Field Theory) was to render the ship invisble by surrounding it in a huge electomagnetic field, which would supposedly deflect light.

What actually (supposedly) happened was that it disrupted the fabric of reality and teleported to Norfolk, Virginia before bouncing back - with 99% of the onboard crew burning, stuck in the floors or completely insane.

Anyone who's played Assassin's Creed, Shadows of the Vashta Nerada or Command and Conquer:Red Alert will have run into it.

The theory behind it is sketchy at best, but is based on quantum states - which are believed to exist - and could cause the DNA 'teleportation' : Although, if it has happened, it's more likely to be setting up resonant frequencies that allow it to form as the other dissolves - rather than travelling between two points.

Or it could all be a fetid pile of dingo's kidneys. :)

Feb 13, 2008
Creos said:
well... that was.... off topic in the thread... oh well
Minor point. Snake oil actually works. The original snake oil salesman sold stuff that worked but at a huge profit. Strangely it's now been applied to fakes as well.

Lord Legion

Feb 26, 2010
Um...what the hell? This is a basic explanation of quantum entanglemant, a PROVEN FACT of quantum dynamics, where particles can interact and exchange information over LIGHT YEARS of space. Or in these terms - LOL MAJICK!!!

What this is clearly debating is if there is an upperbounds to the limit of this informational exchange, and DNA being an extremely complex writ of info, would definately push the bounds of many theories.

And before you rely on the peer review system...remember, it kept the earth at the center of the universe for much of history.

But by all means, instead of attempt to understand or even dwell on the possibilities, point fingers and laugh.

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Ghengis John said:
Well not that I believe the operation Rainbow story but that was supposed to be a cloaking field. Even if that was remotely possible in the 1940's it's not the same thing.
PaulH said:
If I'm not mistaken it caused quite a controversy amongst ufologists ... but wasn't the entire experiment debunked as a hoax?
Well, the Philadelphia Experiment [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philadelphia_Experiment] (Project Rainbow) is infamous as never being proved or disproved.

The original idea (using a variation on the Unified Field Theory) was to render the ship invisble by surrounding it in a huge electomagnetic field, which would supposedly deflect light.

What actually (supposedly) happened was that it disrupted the fabric of reality and teleported to Norfolk, Virginia before bouncing back - with 99% of the onboard crew burning, stuck in the floors or completely insane.

Anyone who's played Assassin's Creed, Shadows of the Vashta Nerada or Command and Conquer:Red Alert will have run into it.

The theory behind it is sketchy at best, but is based on quantum states - which are believed to exist - and could cause the DNA 'teleportation' : Although, if it has happened, it's more likely to be setting up resonant frequencies that allow it to form as the other dissolves - rather than travelling between two points.

Or it could all be a fetid pile of dingo's kidneys. :)
Or it could be a joke by Naval officers or government hoaxers in order to maybe scare the Japanese of invisible ships.

As I said, Elridge -> Eldritch -> Elrich

Something completdely uncanny or unseemly. Beyond material means.

So one big laugh by the government on people that might not notice it (Such as the Japanese).

If they could make a ship disappear and reappear elsewhere they would have made smaller scale machines (which would be easier) and used them to transport soldiers, equipment or warheads to other parts of the world covertly by now.

The US can't even figure out who fired a missile off (East?) their Coast in their own US exclusion zones because someone is A: Not very good at stocktaking or B: Because it's too much of an embarassment for therm to discover the test why they would be testing experimental rocketry OFF THE COAST OF POPULATED US CITIES WITHOUT NOTIFYING PEOPLE.

As I said ... it's probably was just a propaganda stunt to scare the Japanese. But also pretty comical in that you mispronounce the ship name slightly it's the USS Magic so the higher ups would have a laugh.

Edit: Coincidentally ... logic dictates that if it was true the ship just disappeared and reappeared it is more thank likely it would be in space or the center of the Earth given we are still shooting through space from energy produced by the big bang.

I mean if you can transcend light speed and just materialize somewhere else, the time dilation would be infinite ... it is also mathematically impossible, that even if the ship rematerialized into real space, that it would still be on the planet.

Hoax .... the odds are mathematically insignificant beyond all reason.

Actual

Jun 24, 2008
Remote cloning!

I can scan your body from a mile away using a large electro-magnetic field and create a perfect DNA clone of you.

Then if we kill the original et voilà; teleportation!

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
Ill ask my sister about it. She told me that the guys with aresnic-based life forms had pretty shoddy methods of deducting so. :(

Actual said:
Remote cloning!

I can scan your body from a mile away using a large electro-magnetic field and create a perfect DNA clone of you.

Then if we kill the original et voilà; teleportation!
The Prestiege?

Ironic

Sep 30, 2008
Daemascus said:
This is either a great step forward for science or there is more bullshit here than a dairy farm.
Dairy Farms use lady-cows, not bulls, so there would be very little bullshit in a dairy farm :p

OP: I don't think we should write it off until extensive replication of the experiments has taken place and it's all validated etc, but we could be looking at another case of "cold fusion" methinks. Probably just misunderstood, yet simple, science that has been wrongly interpreted.

Three Eyed Cyclops

Apr 27, 2009
We should all just ignore him. He has done some great work in the past (read he won a NOBLE PRIZE!). That said, it was in a very different field and subject matter that what this paper is on. There are so many problems with what he is suggesting from a chemical perspective that I would be surprised if any journal would even consider accepting this article to even go through a peer review process. The guy is almost 80 years old and is more likely just losing his mind and saying things he shouldn't. Not the first noble laureate to do so (Watson).