Scientists Developing Tornado Power Plant

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
It cost 3 cents, but when they add on the profit from the company that will own it and doubt it will be that much cheaper than what we pay now.

UltimatheChosen

Mar 6, 2009
weirdguy said:
I'm not sure if something like this is exactly safe, per se...
Worst case scenario, you have a loose tornado. I mean, sure, it's bad, but compared to the kind of disaster you get from a nuclear meltdown or an oil spill, it's relatively minor.

MiskWisk

Mar 17, 2012
I'm a little annoyed at this. I've been saying variations on wind energy will never work and now some engineers and scientists are proving me wrong!

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
Notsomuch said:
Yes... Yess... YEEESSSSSS! I am so hot for this, no joke.

"The power of a tornado is undisputed,"
Boss.
Now say it in a French ascent, it sounds evil that way :) This is why I love Canada (along side LRR, ice hockey and maple syrup.)

Notsomuch

Apr 22, 2009
Evil Smurf said:
Now say it in a French ascent, it sounds evil that way :) This is why I love Canada (along side LRR, ice hockey and maple syrup.)
French? Try Belgian. I'd like to see the energies try to oppose this.

"I believe that natural gasses-"

"Yeah... That's cute and all but could you pipe down, we're making tornadoes over here. Sucking gas from the ground, that's nice. How about bending the weather to our whims? Ha ha ha, I just realized, pipe down! get it?"

"I don't think any of that-"

"Ever flown a kite in 300 mile per hour winds? I plan to in the tornado I'm making."

"Do you like your job? I work in a tornado factory. No big deal, just thought I'd mention it."

Sewa_Yunga

I love this highway!
Nov 21, 2011
Magichead said:
What other field of human endeavour even comes close to science? Particle accelerators smashing atoms at fractions below the speed of light that cross national borders. Creating and harnessing artificial suns. Generating electricity by capturing tornadoes. SCIENCE! >:D
You forgot about extracting gasoline from air [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/120241-British-Scientists-Make-Gasoline-From-Air]! I think these two companies should fuse and call their product Tornado Fuel and use "Ride the whirlwind!" as a slogan.

Jowe

May 26, 2010
JellySlimerMan said:
That sounds like a perpetual motion machine, to the point that its bound to fail.

How is it that the energy consumed by making a TORNADO is lower than the energy we receive from it?
Sounds as much a perpetual motion machine as solar power, i.e. not at all, but powered by the sun.

(the sun drives the wind and waves)

The Hungry Samurai

Hungry for Truth
Apr 1, 2004
freebiewitz said:
Sounds like a load of hot air.
They're just taking us for a spin.
The big twist is that it won't work.
This will blow over eventually.
This news is just static.

Okay I'm done now but seriously this is pretty electric!
Don't be such a blowhard. ;)

Bobic

Nov 10, 2009
rhizhim said:
and in 2 weeks we will enjoy another cheesy "what would happen?: tornado apocalypse!" """""documentary""""" on the syfy channel...

Jowe said:
JellySlimerMan said:
That sounds like a perpetual motion machine, to the point that its bound to fail.

How is it that the energy consumed by making a TORNADO is lower than the energy we receive from it?
Sounds as much a perpetual motion machine as solar power, i.e. not at all, but powered by the sun.

(the sun drives the wind and waves)
wait, what?

please specify and add some sources

since i dont think the sun affects the wind that much.
One example was a study to see if the solar cycle affected wind patterns on Earth. In 1949, H.C. Willett looked to see if the solar cycle affected long-term changes of wind patterns. He saw the solar cycle as a definite factor in influencing wind variations. He did admit that, "the physical basis of any such relationship must be utterly complex, and is as yet not at all understood." However, attempts to confirm his conclusions were not successful.

In fact, over time and with more and more studies and better instruments (especially satellites outside the Earth's atmosphere), connections between the solar cycle and Earth's weather have been found more and more unlikely.
One exception to this seems to be that solar cosmic rays do affect Earth's cloudiness.
http://www.windows2universe.org/sun/sunspots_and_wind.html
He probably is referring to the fact that winds are caused by differences in pressure, which is related to temperature, which is obviously governed by the sun.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Let's see that pic again!

http://cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/412/412093.jpg

NUCLEAR TORNADOES.

Quick, anyone wanna start a band?

OT: This is amazing. I just hope they have a foolproof way of containing said tornado.

Jan 27, 2011
Sweet! Not only is this really cool and potentially a breakthrough in green energy, but Canada, my own country is making this!

Wait...Canada is making this... Harper hates the environment, is doing tons of stuff to screw over green alternatives and protected wildlife and...

.....Bah. Watch this get defunded next week for "Not showing any progress" while his big oil buddies pat themselves on the back for another successful interruption of progress.

>_< I hate that guy...

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
Tornado power? BEST. IDEA. EVER!!

Also, cheap power that's as good as what we got? Good idea! Canada, give these guys more money, we need to fund this!

aba1

Mar 18, 2010
JellySlimerMan said:

This comes down to how much energy does it take to make a tornado vs how much energy does a tornado give off. Tornado's are made from contrasting sets of temperatures for the most part so how much energy does a tornado give off compared to heating and cooling the designated areas. It is a interesting question but obviously there must be something to it or else the government would not have invested all this money.

aba1

Mar 18, 2010
aegix drakan said:
Sweet! Not only is this really cool and potentially a breakthrough in green energy, but Canada, my own country is making this!

Wait...Canada is making this... Harper hates the environment, is doing tons of stuff to screw over green alternatives and protected wildlife and...

.....Bah. Watch this get defunded next week for "Not showing any progress" while his big oil buddies pat themselves on the back for another successful interruption of progress.

>_< I hate that guy...
I can't believe he hasn't been kicked for incompetence to be honest.

aba1

Mar 18, 2010
Yokillernick said:
What could possibly go wrong...

Seems cool enough if they can keep everything under controller. I'd hate to see Canada engulfed by tornadoes.
If the tornado somehow got out of hand it would just dissipate when leaving the area unless outside had the exact conditions to support a tornado in which case we would have had one already anyways.

Jubbert

Apr 3, 2010
Oh my GOD,

THOSE GIANT FAN TUBES IN HALF LIFE 1 MAKE SENSE NOW!

That game really WAS ahead of its time.