Scientists Make Shocking Sports Game Breakthrough

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
I feel bad for people who have to do test like this. The kind of test where you know the answer but you to do it so that you can point to an official study instead of using hearsay. I salute you, scientist of the obvious! Your sacrifice of interesting study for necessary studies will not be forgotten!

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
Aaron Sylvester said:
98.4% male?! Impossible, I saw a woman or two on these forums claim that 40% of all gamers across all genres are female.
Over 90% male?! Impossible, I saw 40% of these gamers claim that they were women and..

>_>

oh god why

(inb4 MMO)

DrunkOnEstus

In the name of Harman...
May 11, 2012
Tomorrow's study...98.4% of MMO players claim that 9 out of 10 friends are in their guild. (Please don't hurt me too bad)

Monster_user

Jan 3, 2010
I don't see why anybody is taking about this? Why is this news?

I can fully understand having to confirm a hypothesis, to proove a greater theory.

DrunkOnEstus said:
Tomorrow's study...98.4% of MMO players claim that 9 out of 10 friends are in their guild. (Please don't hurt me too bad)
9 out of ten members of their guild are their friends, but I doubt that 9 out of ten of their friends are in their guild. That is a somewhat narrow base of friends. It could also be due to a narrow sample size, focused on areas where MMOs are the most popular (Korea?).

I know three people who play MMOs, and consider me a friend. I doubt I account for that "one in ten" for all three individuals.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
Must be a lot of funding going around if this is what they're studying.

And since everything meaningful has already been said (summed up as no duh), let me personally state that I am glad they used THE WORLD'S (GRIDIRON) FOOTBALL TEAM (the steelers) as the thumbnail, because clearly only the best should be used for this article.

EDIT: Though im curious to know what the criteria of being a "sports fan" entails cause thats probably why nearly 7% labeled themselves not as such.

Issurru

Jun 13, 2010
I feel the incredible need to post this picture

Because really, why waste all that perfectly good money when i'm right here? Could have just gave me the money instead...

Headdrivehardscrew

Aug 22, 2011
OK, I need about $ 2 billion cash in funding for a study to prove that most people driving cars also own driving licenses.

Bvenged

Sep 4, 2009
Holy hell I can't believe this. 98% male and 93.3% sports fans?

I... I can't explain how relieved I am to hear this news. I've been pondering this question for years. FINALLY, now I can sleep easy at night knowing one of life's greatest mysteries is solved.

What next? People over the age of 50 have wrinkles around their eyes? Twilight fans are predominantly teenage girls? The majority of people who listen to rap wear their trousers around their ankles? Most drivers have driving licenses and insurance?

Fucking Science. Put those great minds to good use; unless this is how great minds like to wind down on a Friday evening with a nice mug of hot chocolate - taking useless and mundane surveys.

How is someone who takes a survey a scientist anyway? I could do that and I practically failed my sciences at A-Level.

Grabehn

Sep 22, 2012
Who... Why? was it that necessary to have scientists researching these? who put them to do it? And who was so lost as to actually wanting to know that male white guys play are the ones that play the most sports games?

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Name _Tippy2k2
Male [X] Yes [ ] No
Sports Fan [X] Yes [ ] No
White [X] Yes [ ] No
Age _26_

...holy shit! I'm the perfect sports gamer!

Although I suppose this isn't quite true. I have owned most major sport games (except basketball because...well...I hate basketball) but I don't follow most sports. The only sport I actively follow is football, although I suppose I watch Soccer (really any of it since ESPN seems to be under the impression that Americans explode if a soccer game is on TV), MLB, or NHL (oh wait...) when the possibilities arise.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
DustyDrB said:
Who is this 6.7% who buy sports game despite not liking sports? We must find these people and test them with electrodes and ink blots.
That would be "My grandma bought it for me", or the occasional freak such as me who likes a sports game or two but doesn't identify as a "sports fan" (why watch it when you can play it yourself? Or pretend you're the coach for the team, if nothing else?).

SoulSalmon

Sep 27, 2010
This has to be fake, next thing they'll tell us is that people who buy puzzle games like puzzles!

Myeth

Aug 28, 2010
Mostly male because I have yet to see a sports game or an IRL league that isnt sexist and actually represents equality. Until that is fixed, of course we will have mainly males playing. If ALL sports games featured only women, wouldn't you expect less male players and more female? Pretty obvious, really. Glaring!

Mocmocman

Dec 4, 2012
McMullen said:
I suppose you're right. This validation of a preconceived notion proves that there's really no value in testing such notions. After all, no significant discoveries have ever been made that were unexpected, right?
Exactly.

It's kinda odd that people also seem to believe that, whenever a study that came out has obvious results, that said study cost billions of dollars and took up the entire lives of some of the greatest minds in the world. It's a internet survey. Not very hard to make and helps put numbers to these things, which companies like better than some people's gut feelings.