Scientists Make Shocking Sports Game Breakthrough

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
Just for the sake of science I would like to meet that 1 female gamer who plays Madden but hates sports. I might bring a psychologist to see if she might in fact be dysfunctional.

MorganL4

Person
May 1, 2008
Tony2077 said:
i vote really!!! so much money wasted on something most people already knew
Not necessarily, I would have put money on the median age being 27 turns out it is 26.....

But in all fairness in science you have to quantify the obvious so that you can make observations about things that are not so obvious.

As for the 6% my guess is that they are the girlfriends of the 98% of guys who like them, and they just want to play a game with their guy for the social aspect.

Forgetitnow344

Jan 8, 2010
What an awful study. What does "sports videogame fan" mean? Does it mean someone who buys a game every year? Someone who buys them every couple of years? Someone who just has NFL Fever 2002 and keeps their old Fatbox around just to play that? Wouldn't it be interesting to see a trend that identifies if the more radical a sports video game fan is, the whiter/bigger sports fan/26-year-older they are? It just seems like a waste of resources to conduct such a poorly-structured study about something no one cares about except for those who would stand to profit from it without making it conclude something that would actually help them turn a profit.

Monster_user

Jan 3, 2010
Monsterfurby said:
I AM THE 6.7 PERCENT! WOO!
I suppose I am, also.

Although I don't buy sports games every year. I think I played a 2K football game on the Sega Dreamcast that was tons of fun. I also really enjoyed the NBA Jam titles on the SNES, shoes that left trails of fire on the courts, and 2v2 matchups. Also, I bought several NASCAR titles growing up, racing games were my favorites.

More recently I bought MLB2K10, Sega Bass Fishing, Cabela's Big Game Hunter, Need for Speed: Shift, and Tiger Woods PGA Tour. This didn't include the Wii Sports that came with the Nintendo Wii.

grigjd3

Mar 4, 2011
Well, I could make a comment about funding but on the other hand, I've personally seen some of the other ways we waste money in science.

Amaror

Apr 15, 2011
And here you see the result of what happens, when captain obvious is not around.
See, why he is the most important of all superheroes?!

Ashannon Blackthorn

Sep 5, 2011
Mocmocman said:
McMullen said:
I suppose you're right. This validation of a preconceived notion proves that there's really no value in testing such notions. After all, no significant discoveries have ever been made that were unexpected, right?
Exactly.

It's kinda odd that people also seem to believe that, whenever a study that came out has obvious results, that said study cost billions of dollars and took up the entire lives of some of the greatest minds in the world. It's a internet survey. Not very hard to make and helps put numbers to these things, which companies like better than some people's gut feelings.
Agreed. I'm surprised at all the people who seem a bit overjoyed to come on and yell "waste of time and money" whenever any scientific research is done that isn;t some cutting edge theoretical quantum physics. :p Not every piece of research is some break through. Most of it is this tedious, proving the obvious type of work.

Kinitawowi

Nov 21, 2012
In related news, it's just been reported that they've secured funding for their next study into the defecatory habits of the bear.

Bostur

Mar 14, 2011
DustyDrB said:
Who is this 6.7% who buy sports game despite not liking sports? We must find these people and test them with electrodes and ink blots.
I hate sports, but have bought a sports game occasionally. They can sometimes be found at a low price when they get a few years old. Fortunately sports games have very little in common with sports. It's hard to find other games to scratch the occasional management and bookkeeping itch.
Which reminds me, someone should do a remake of Capitalism.

bliebblob

Plushy wrangler, die-curious
Sep 9, 2009
Lotta snark going on in here... Just remember guys: your gut feeling doesn't mean squat when you're trying to publish your research.

Tests or GTFO.

Stu35

Aug 1, 2011
Well...

I'm a white male sports fan, and I enjoy the occasional NHL and Madden game, and as soon as they put out a decent Rugby Game(League or Union) I'll buy that (Rugby League Live 2 is terrible, as is RWC 2011).

So yeah, well done scientists... Now, go cure cancer for fucks sake.

Yossarian1507

Jan 20, 2010
rhizhim said:
who are the 6.7% masochists that aren't sports fans but still play sports games?
My friend for example. He doesn't play or watch any of the sports (the only exception I can think of was him watching basketball final game at the Olympics), but when he saw me playing NBA 2K11 "My Player" mode, he thought it was fun, and since then he's buying every new release.

Sometimes those things can have... You know, fun gameplay. Crazy, isn't it?

MetalMagpie

Jun 13, 2011
Aaron Sylvester said:
98.4% male?! Impossible, I saw a woman or two on these forums claim that 40% of all gamers across all genres are female.
Ah ha! You have been ensnared by vague wording! *maniacal laugh*

I'm assuming they meant that if you were to gather all video gamers of all genres together, 40% of that collection would be female. It's silly to suggest that different genres don't have a bias. I've always assumed (possibly wrongly - no numbers to back this up) that the majority of The Sims fans are female.