Scientists Resurrecting Woolly Mammoths

Mike Kayatta

Minister of Secrets
Aug 2, 2011
Scientists Resurrecting Woolly Mammoths

With the help of global warming and a mouse zombie, science is finally ready to make a woolly mammoth for the 21st century.

It seems like ever since self-proclaimed chaotician, Dr. Ian Malcom told the world that "life will find a way," there have been news stories regarding plans to bring prehistoric creatures into the modern age through advancements in genetics and cloning. While the idea of seeing a newly born Tyrannosaurus rex is absolutely terrifying cool, we don't happen to know of any just lying around in giant Siberian ice cubes to experiment on. What we do have, however, are full-on woolly freaking mammoths, so why not bring one of those cuddly little fellows into the twenty-first century? That's exactly what a team of mad scientists from the Sakha Republic mammoth museum and Japan's Kinki University plan to do.

Jokes about Russian museums dedicated solely to mammoths and "kinky" universities aside, the actual plan to bring everyone's favorite form of elephant back from the dead is quite brilliant. Here's the step-by-step for any of you do-it-yourselfers out there: First, get a batch of elephant egg cells and some undamaged genetic material from a frozen mammoth bone. Next, extract the nuclei from the elephant cells and replace it with the nuclei of the mammoth. Then, inject your batter into the modern female elephant of your choosing and sit back on your couch to play some Skyrim while she does all of the gestation work for you. By the time you've actually beaten the game, the pachyderm you recruited will likely have formed a brand new batch of embryos chock full of mammoth DNA and birthed a giant furry creature previously known to be extinct for over 10,000 years.

The idea to make modern mammoths by swapping genetics with contemporary elephants has been around since the nineties but, up until earlier this year, has been impossible. First, there was the issue of the performing the procedure itself. Sucking out and replacing nucleic material is actually, if you'd believe it, a mite harder than it sounds. That changed only recently, when in 2008, a Japanese scientist resurrected a mouse that had been frozen for sixteen years using a similar method. With that procedure finally in place, it became a simple a matter of finding the right sample to continue. Just a few months ago in August, researchers discovered just that, a frozen mammoth thighbone with its marrow perfectly intact. Apparently, the team was only able to find it because global warming thawed the dirt on top of it that had been frozen solid for thousands of years. Take that Al Gore!

As exciting as this is, don't start crafting a giant leather saddle quite yet. The process is probably going to take about four years from when they get started: two to impregnate the elephant, and another two for gestation. Then there's the question of if they get lucky. Currently, our cloning success rate for cattle is only 30%, and we've been doing that for years. If it does work though, the mother is in for one hell of a birth, as your typical woolly mammoth can grow to twelve feet tall and weigh upwards of 16,000 pounds. Ouch.

Source: [a href="http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/315513"]Digital Journal[/a]

Caveworm

Jun 8, 2011
Will they be able to levitate though?

Mammoths of the past... Mammoths of the future!

EmperorSubcutaneous

Dec 22, 2010
Considering I'm just about finished playing Syberia for the first time, this story amuses me. I never would have thought mammoths would be so interesting.

Frizzle

Nov 11, 2008
As cool as this really would be, I don't really think this is the greatest idea.. It would be screwing up that mother elephant for sure, as I'm pretty sure mammoths were a lot bigger than even today's African elephants. Second, why can't we do this to get more of the animals we already have that people are killing on purpose? Rhinos and gorillas anyone?

As a positive, I guess Russia really is the one place that a mammoth would be happy with the weather...

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
My dream of recreating that scene from Futurama with the T-rex kiddy ride is one step closer...

omicron1

Mar 26, 2008
I can see things getting a bit hairy with this method. But as long as their funds fon't get frozen, and they don't pack their trunks and hide, this will be a mammoth accomplishment.
Still, I'd like more sources. I don't like taking stories of this magnitude on earsay.

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
Why? What purpose does this serve except our own twisted amusement. Let the past die, the world is no longer a place for mammoths. Fuck, we can barely take care of the species that are already on this planet, why are we trying to add more.

AugustFall

May 5, 2009
Can anyone help me find a source? I don't doubt this is true but I'd like to read the original. So far the Escapist's post links to another website who's sources are The Daily Mail, Fox News and Huffington Post.

Freaky Lou

Nov 1, 2011
I heard about this SOME time ago, like 2 or 3 years. Is it just now being posted here or is this another attempt at the same thing?

algalon

Dec 6, 2010
While intriguing, I'd hope that the scientists at least look at the lineage of the herd they pull this elephant from. The size difference between elephants and mammoths could cripple the experiment in any number of ways.

AugustFall

May 5, 2009
Frizzle said:
As cool as this really would be, I don't really think this is the greatest idea.. It would be screwing up that mother elephant for sure, as I'm pretty sure mammoths were a lot bigger than even today's African elephants. Second, why can't we do this to get more of the animals we already have that people are killing on purpose? Rhinos and gorillas anyone?

As a positive, I guess Russia really is the one place that a mammoth would be happy with the weather...
We do use artificial insemination to get more Elephants and such. However it doesn't work any faster than normal reproduction which clearly isn't enough to keep up with the dropping numbers of these species.
Woolly Mammoths actually aren't that much bigger although a bit bulkier. I would imagine the Scientists working on this have considered the size difference and either baby Woolly Mammoths are of the same size or they are going to go for a Caesarean section.

AugustFall

May 5, 2009
algalon said:
While intriguing, I'd hope that the scientists at least look at the lineage of the herd they pull this elephant from. The size difference between elephants and mammoths could cripple the experiment in any number of ways.
I cannot imagine the scientists doing this have not considered this. Also a bit of googling have revealed that woolly mammoths while bulkier than African elephants are about the same height so I guess babies are about the same size. I don't know but I imagine those working on it have made sure the crux of their research will work.

Boris Goodenough

Jul 15, 2009
Oh and @ Joe Wike from facebook, Dodo's tasted horribly, the onyl reason they were eaten was because it was "fastfood".