Scotch

c_westerman13

Mar 29, 2011
So, are there many Scotch drinkers on the escapist?

What are anyone's favourite malts or regions?
How do you prefer drinking it?

My favourites are the Glenfiddich 15, and basically anything that Laphroaig ever produce (their quarter-cask is *brilliant*). Drank over plenty of rocks.

LostAlone

Sep 3, 2010
Glenfiddich is certainly a decent scotch, but I prefer Glenmorangie myself. Maybe its just me *shrug*.

Also, Johnny Walker Black. Mmmm.

I wanna try the really sexy expensive versions, but I've never been that wealthy/drunk.

EvilPicnic

Sep 9, 2009
I can't say I'm a connoisseur, but I do like a bit of Laphroaig of a cold evening. I also tried a Yamazaki (the 12yo) the other day and, while not technically Scotch, it was actually quite nice.

As for how I drink it; neat. It's the only way.

arrjay93

Mar 9, 2010
Only Americans call it Scotch. They are objectively wrong.

I like me a Bowmore 15.

c_westerman13 said:
My favourites are the Glenfiddich 15, and basically anything that Laphroaig ever produce (their quarter-cask is *brilliant*). Drank over plenty of rocks.
Gotta love that Laphroaig, you're right there.

c_westerman13

Mar 29, 2011
LostAlone said:
Glenfiddich is certainly a decent scotch, but I prefer Glenmorangie myself. Maybe its just me *shrug*.

I wanna try the really sexy expensive versions, but I've never been that wealthy/drunk.
Get them as presents for occasions, thats how I do it!
I do like the Glenmorangie, but not so much as the ones i listed...

@evilpicnic, even most conniseurs say you should add about 1 part water to every 2 scotch...

Marowit

Nov 7, 2006
Bourbon drinker her; scotch is alright, but I prefer the vanilla, caramels and toffees in Bourbon.

When my dad visits he'll bring a bottle of Michel Couvreur scotch...mmmmmm...it's so delicious, but I can't afford that stuff on my own.

Megalodon

May 14, 2010
EvilPicnic said:
This indeed, it's claimed that a little highland spring water improves the taste, but I've never noticed a big differance.

I've currently got five different single malts sitting on my booze shelf. Pride of the bunch is a 21 year old single cask Clyneleish.

arrjay93 said:
No, they are subjectively wrong. Scotch whisky is the correct name. It's just that only Scotch deserves to be called whisky.

c_westerman13

Mar 29, 2011
Marowit said:
Bourbon drinker her; scotch is alright, but I prefer the vanilla, caramels and toffees in Bourbon.
ooooh Bourbon. I've only really tried Wild Turkey, and JD, if you count that as Bourbon...
Recommend me a good one...?

arrjay93 said:

I like me a Bowmore 15.

c_westerman13 said:
Gotta love that Laphroaig, you're right there.
*ahem* i'm no american!
i'd've said Whisky, but there was bound to be some fail trying to correct the spelling...

Marowit

Nov 7, 2006
c_westerman13 said:
Marowit said:
ooooh Bourbon. I've only really tried Wild Turkey, and JD, if you count that as Bourbon...
Knob Creek is a nice, $25 USD, bottle that you can get. Buffalo Trace is also some good stuff. Those two kinds are generally what I have on top of the fridge.

Booker's is even better, but that's topshelf stuff (>$50). And, if you're lucky enough to find a bottle of 12 year old Pappy Van Winkle's buy it, regardless of how much it'll cost you, it's incredible.

arrjay93 said:
Well, it's because there are several types of Whiskey, and by calling them Scotch, Bourbon, etc..., you're able to better distinguish what you're looking for. If you walk into a liquor store and ask for a bottle of Whiskey, at least in NA, you'll be directed towards a nondescript bottle of brown liquor.

c_westerman13

Mar 29, 2011
Marowit said:
c_westerman13 said:
Marowit said:
Knob Creek is a nice, $25 USD, bottle that you can get. Booker's is even better, but that's topshelf stuff. And, if you're lucky enough to find a bottle of 12 year old Pappy Van Winkle's buy it, regardless of how much it'll cost you, it's incredible.
Isn't Booker's one of the Jim Beam ones?
and i'll try remember the Pappy Van Winkle (and hell, its a memorable name, not to mention something i wouldn't feel safe googling!)

Thanks

LostAlone

Sep 3, 2010
arrjay93 said:
Where are you from then where you don't call it scotch ? Seriously, what other word are you looking for ? Scotch is scottish whisky. I (English) call it that, my former house mates (scottish and irish) call it that, and every bar tender on earth knows that Scotch is Scottish whisky.

Unless the whole world is wrong and you are right of course. But thats statistically unlikely.

s0p0g

Aug 24, 2009
The Glenlivet double wood - really nice :)

don't you DARE throwing ice or some shit into a good Scotch - killing just isn't right, be it people or Scotches.

also, it has to be rather warm (something around room temperature - unless you've got your windows open all day, even if the air temperature is well below 0°C)

and don't even think about pouring it into a tumbler - nosing glasses are the only way to go <3

i bet OP has no qualms doing all of the above :'(

Megalodon said:
EvilPicnic said:
it's claimed that a little highland spring water improves the taste, but I've never noticed a big differance.
that's for Scotches somewhere around cask strength; not the ~42 vol % - that's make them way to thin.
the water "extends" the Scotch, making space for all the flavours somewhere hidden in it.
make sure it does not have too many minerals/electrolytes in it, they change the taste.

well, 'nough being said - Sláinte!

Megalodon

May 14, 2010
c_westerman13 said:
i'd've said Whisky, but there was bound to be some fail trying to correct the spelling...
You would actually have been right here. Scotch is Whisky, Stuff from Ireland is Whiskey (plus other places use whiskey as far as I'm aware).

Marowit

Nov 7, 2006
c_westerman13 said:
Marowit said:
c_westerman13 said:
Marowit said:
Knob Creek is a nice, $25 USD, bottle that you can get. Booker's is even better, but that's topshelf stuff. And, if you're lucky enough to find a bottle of 12 year old Pappy Van Winkle's buy it, regardless of how much it'll cost you, it's incredible.
and i'll try remember the Pappy Van Winkle (and hell, its a memorable name, not to mention something i wouldn't feel safe googling!)

Thanks

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Booker%27s

Seems to be the case - I didn't realize that, but Booker's is quite good all the same.

I wouldn't recommend buying Jim Bean for anything other than putting into coke though.

Marowit

Nov 7, 2006
Megalodon said:
c_westerman13 said:
You would actually have been right here. Scotch is Whisky, Stuff from Ireland is Whiskey (plus other places use whiskey as far as I'm aware).
Whiskey just means a distilled spirit from a fermented grain mash - it's not indicative of a liquor from Ireland (just stereotypical of Ireland).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whiskey

Knock yourself out.

The best analogue would probably be like saying, "beer," since there are so many different variations.

Snake Plissken

Jul 30, 2010
c_westerman13 said:
Yep, Booker's is a Beam one, but it's fucking phenomenal. I work evenings at a liquor store and picked up a bottle for my father at cost. Even at cost, that shit ain't cheap. But well worth it.

atol

Jan 16, 2009
I dreamt I was in the mood for some scotch last night, even though I'm not sure I've ever tried it. Odd.

rodneyy

humm odd
Sep 10, 2008
c_westerman13 said:
even most conniseurs say you should add about 1 part water to every 2 scotch...
not all of them ive seen some long debates round the table when my family gets together some say like you, others say that is way to much and it should be a little dribble.

Glenfarclas is a personal favourate of me, aberlour is nice as well and cant go wrong with a macallen.

speyside for me region wise but think im a little bias as thats where my family is from. highland is ok but not a fan of the isla to much peat for my tasts.

LostAlone

Sep 3, 2010
c_westerman13 said:
LostAlone said:

Get them as presents for occasions, thats how I do it!
I do like the Glenmorangie, but not so much as the ones i listed...

@evilpicnic, even most conniseurs say you should add about 1 part water to every 2 scotch...
You have far better friends than I that will buy you £130 bottle of johnny walker blue... And tbh thats about the cheapest 'premium'. You can get up past £1000 for the REALLY mythic stuff :p

c_westerman13

Mar 29, 2011
s0p0g said:
The Glenlivet double wood - really nice :)

don't you DARE throwing ice or some shit into a good Scotch - killing just isn't right, be it people or Scotches.

also, it has to be rather warm (something around room temperature - unless you've got your windows open all day, even if the air temperature is well below 0°C)

and don't even think about pouring it into a tumbler - nosing glasses are the only way to go <3

i bet OP has no qualms doing all of the above :'(

Megalodon said:
EvilPicnic said:
it's claimed that a little highland spring water improves the taste, but I've never noticed a big differance.
that's for Scotches somewhere around cask strength; not the ~42 vol % - that's make them way to thin.
the water "extends" the Scotch, making space for all the flavours somewhere hidden in it.
make sure it does not have too many minerals/electrolytes in it, they change the taste.

well, 'nough being said - Sláinte!
I take offence to that! I store it at room temperature, then pour it onto Ice (yeah, ok, i do that bit!) in a Glass i got free with
Famous Grouse
. though, it was the 100th (i think) anniversary one...

Megalodon said:
c_westerman13 said:
Yeah, I'm aware it would've been right, but barely anyone else seems to.
and anywhere except Scotland, it's Whiskey...