Scotch

Aurgelmir

WAAAAGH!
Nov 11, 2009
c_westerman13 said:
So, are there many Scotch drinkers on the escapist?

What are anyone's favourite malts or regions?
How do you prefer drinking it?

My favourites are the Glenfiddich 15, and basically anything that Laphroaig ever produce (their quarter-cask is *brilliant*). Drank over plenty of rocks.
*Turns around looking over at the shelves behind him, counts 14 bottles*
Hmm yes I think I do like Scotch. and I'd like mine plain.

What I like depends a lot on my mood, sometimes the peaty stuff is really good, other times I want a mild smooth one.

Currently I have been enjoying a Cragganmore 12 year a lot.

Mandalore_15

Aug 12, 2009
Being a Scot myself I'm pretty well acquainted with my whiskies... my favourite at the moment is Jura Superstition, but Talisker is always my old fallback. Simply awesome!

Cheesepower5

Dec 21, 2009
Togs said:
SckizoBoy said:
Coke?! COKE?! No wonder you can't stand the taste/smell. That's just butchering the drink (if that's even possible)... well, both drinks in fact (the scotch more, for obvious reasons).
I once bought a £75 bottle of Caol Ilsa 16 year old- pretty much the final word in Islays, decided to share it with my new housemate as a "getting to know you by getting pissed on fine booze" thing- dude went out the room and came back with a bottle of coke, I so very nearly strangled him.

Cheesepower5 said:
I can't say I'm a big fan of scotch, I prefer whiskey. But Glenmorangie is really good, none the less.
Not sure if serious.....
There's a difference between scotch whisky and whiskey, you know...

Togs

Dec 8, 2010
Cheesepower5 said:
There's a difference between scotch whisky and whiskey, you know...
Not until 5 seconds after I posted that rather dickish comment- sorry about that mate.

Oh actually though Ive got a question if you wouldnt mind? I generally only drink scotch, having never really found an Irish whiskey I enjoy- have you got any you'd like to recommend?

YesIPlayTheBagpipes

Oct 27, 2009
The Famous Grouse is very good. Also as a note; "Scotch" as describing something being from Scotland should only be used for 1 Whiskey and 2. Scotch eggs. Using "Scotch" to describe people will only get you beaten up.

Cheesepower5

Dec 21, 2009
No problem, misunderstandings happen. I'd reccomend Wiser's Special Blend as something that's cheap and good, or Tullamore Dew if you like it strong.

Do4600

Oct 16, 2007
I have a bottle of Aberlour A'bunadh Batch No. 30 behind me, best I've ever tasted

surg3n

May 16, 2011
I like Glenmorangie with coke and ice, or Glenfiddoch neat. Glenfiddoch has a more distict, earthy taste to other whiskeys IMO which would be killed by any additives.

I have to say though, that there's no point in being a purist when it comes to whiskey... In Scotland, we drink what we like, how we like, when we like. There's no rigmarole or custom, just people who miss the point of whiskey; which is to get you absolutely hammered in a short space of time. When you pour someone a whiskey, you ask them how they want it and are just glad to have someone to drink it with. With a decent Scotch, you might encourage them to try it neat, but it's no big deal - neat whiskey is a pretty heavy drink, it's probably best that people are willing to soften the blow.

I tend to refer to it as Scotch when it's like 12yo single malt stuff - we have a wide selection of blended, cheaper stuff which does the same job, but I'm not a fan - I'm Scottish but I'd still rather drink rum or brandy than blended whiskey. In fact, I'd rather have a bottle of Remy Martin cognac than any whiskey I've tried.

antidonkey

Dec 10, 2009
Macallan 12 year is my scotch of choice. Nice oaky with a hint a vanilla taste and the smell......oh the smell is heavenly. I saw a bottle of 50 year old stuff up in Maryland going for around $1000. I'd love to try some but not way am I willing to pay that much for it.

Jul 22, 2009
I don't really know how to differ and classify the types of whiskeys, so I'll just throw them all out there.

I have so far tried Teachers, Bells, JD and a very cheap whiskey known as Harry's House (don't waste your time with it, it's awful) I'd like to try Famous grouse and some matured scotch whisky, though I have yet to choose which.