Scott Cawthon (FNaF guy) cancelled

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Up until June 10th Scott Cawthon was just another blameless white dude with a net worth of $60 million when Twitter uncovered the unimaginable: the fabled Boomer Texan zillionaire was, shocker, a Republican. Not only that but he'd donated some of that sweet FNaF money - a little under $40,000 - to assorted Republican ghouls over the years.

On a side note, he also donated $500,000 to St. Jude Children's Research Hospital.

Consequently Cawthon is stepping down from copy/pasting FNaF spin-offs and letting someone else run the money machine.

Scott, I've never played any of your shitty games but for what it's worth I think I watched the Game Grumps play one of them back when they used to be funny. So from the bottom of my heart: eh.

PS: I don't know how to cancel people but if anybody cares Jonathan Blow (Braid , The Witness) gave Ron Paul $400 back in '07.

Last edited:

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Up until June 10th Scott Cawthon was just another blameless white dude with a net worth of $60 million when Twitter uncovered the unimaginable: the fabled Boomer Texan zillionaire was, shocker, a Republican. Not only that but he'd donated some of that sweet FNaF money - a little under $40,000 - to assorted Republican ghouls over the years.

On a side note, he also donated $500,000 to St. Jude Children's Research Hospital.

Consequently Cawthon is stepping down from copy/pasting FNaF spin-offs and letting someone else run the money machine.

Scott, I've never played any of your shitty games but for what it's worth I think I watched the Game Grumps play one of them back when they used to be funny. So from the bottom of my heart: eh.

PS: I don't know how to cancel people but if anybody cares Jonathan Blow (Braid , The Witness) gave Ron Paul $400 back in '07.
HOW DARE SOMEONE VOTE FOR THE EVIL ORANGE MAN!!!!! WE MUST BAN TOGETHER TO RUIN HIS LIFE!!!!

Fuck off people. Disagree all you want politically, but people have the right to hold differing opinions. And support those politics as they wish. And frankly what someone does with their money is none of your business.....at least not until the death satellite is complete.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
I mean, how dare some lgbt people be mad that somebody they looked up to donated the maximum to various anti-lgbt shitheads, he also donated to a religious children's hospital.

Although, like pewdiepie, it's somewhat hilarious that a game industry figure that gamers regularly take the piss out of is suddenly somebody we shouldn't criticize as soon as they do something that might actually end up mattering.

Hack dev for making various meme jumps are games? Dump on him all you want. Sends material support to politicians making life worse for a subsection of innocent people? Hey now, he can do what he wants.

Last edited:

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I mean, how dare some lgbt people be mad that somebody they looked up to donated the maximum to various anti-lgbt shitheads, he also donated to a religious children's hospital.
It's almost as if religion holds a common thread among these issues.

Buyetyen

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
USA
Sadly, there are plenty of people who would say this without irony.

Reactions: BrawlMan

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Does this count as one of those "death of the author" things in which people can't separate the art from the artist? And thus must attach the new evil reputation to existing works because private personal details come to light.

Reactions: Dwarvenhobble

Buyetyen

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
USA
Does this count as one of those "death of the author" things in which people can't separate the art from the artist? And thus must attach the new evil reputation to existing works because private personal details come to light.
No more so than any other decision of where you choose to spend your money or not.

Cheetodust

Elite Member
Jun 2, 2020
Country
Ireland
And frankly what someone does with their money is none of your business.....at least not until the death satellite is complete.
So a whole bunch of people saying "well I'm not giving FNaF another dime as long as that guy is in charge." is none of our business. This is the free market at work. New Coke tastes like ass? Don't give them your money. I haven't spent a penny on amazon since 2019 because fuck Jeff Bezos. I buy my groceries in the local butcher and green grocer because fuck tesco. I go to a not-for profit gym run by an elected committee of members because fuck Ben Dunne. I mean there's a lot of shitty companies I do support just because living in the world and not giving money to a shitty company is basically impossible so we all have to choose what brand of shitty we don't buy. Some people don't buy this guys brand of shitty. Easy for me to do because his games are garbage.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
So a whole bunch of people saying "well I'm not giving FNaF another dime as long as that guy is in charge." is none of our business
I think it's a stupid knee jerk reaction to realizing that some author or artist or actor or whomever is actually a real person with their own ideals.

Someone who grew up with Harry Potter, suddenly is demonized because the author doesn't have progressive enough ideals? So all that enjoyment of the series throughout the years has to be erased now right?

People have loved the Fnaf games for a long time, but now people want them off Steam and nobody can be allowed to buy those game anymore because some people don't like who Scott supports.

It's a destruction of ideas. It's a destruction of opinion and conversation. You aren't allowed to disagree because disagreement makes you Satan and therefore everything you've ever done should be eradicated.

Fine don't like these people and don't buy there shit if you dont want. But their products have a right to remain as there is still a customer base for that stuff. Some people just want to read books about wizard kids, or play games about Chuck E Cheese robots murdering people, without having to worry about other shit. Nor should it be any justification for someone having to step down from their job or company because crazy people online disagree with them.

Disagreement is fine, don't support what you don't like.

Buyetyen

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
USA
I think it's a stupid knee jerk reaction to realizing that some author or artist or actor or whomever is actually a real person with their own ideals.
No, it's a reaction to this person monetarily supporting bad things.

Someone who grew up with Harry Potter, suddenly is demonized because the author doesn't have progressive enough ideals? So all that enjoyment of the series throughout the years has to be erased now right?
No, they're free to continue reading it. I just choose not to. That's really as simple as it gets dude.

It's a destruction of ideas. It's a destruction of opinion and conversation. You aren't allowed to disagree because disagreement makes you Satan and therefore everything you've ever done should be eradicated.

Let's be real. The boogeyman of cancel culture is just that: a boogeyman. A fictitious threat. Will FNaF get taken off Steam? Probably not. We're not living in a military junta. Yet.

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
Some people just want to read books about wizard kids, or play games about Chuck E Cheese robots murdering people, without having to worry about other shit.
Which gets quite hard when it turns out the one making it thinks you're a subhuman and funds the people wanting to do you direct harm.

Last edited:

Cheetodust

Elite Member
Jun 2, 2020
Country
Ireland

People have loved the Fnaf games for a long time, but now people want them off Steam and nobody can be allowed to buy those game anymore because some people don't like who Scott supports.

Fine don't like these people and don't buy there shit if you dont want. But their products have a right to remain as there is still a customer base for that stuff. Some people just want to read books about wizard kids, or play games about Chuck E Cheese robots murdering people, without having to worry about other shit. Nor should it be any justification for someone having to step down from their job or company because crazy people online disagree with them.

Disagreement is fine, don't support what you don't like.
Yeah dude but those ideals are "trans people bad" and they give money to people who will do things that harm trans people. If I give them my money then they can use that money to give it to people who will do bad things to trans people.

Like let's say I was trying to sell you a rare pokemon card. And off hand I happened to mention that I needed the money because I wanted to see what a purebred French bulldog tasted like and they weren't cheap from the local breeder. Like you would be less inclined to give me that money right? You would probably try and see if someone else had that card for sale?

Beliefs aren't just beliefs they have real world consequences and the real world consequence of this scenario is that a bunch of people who want to hurt trans people are gonna get a bunch of money and like that's a bad thing. And a bunch of people are like "hey, we're not gonna let our money be funnelled through this company into the pockets of people who want to harm people I care about.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
Unless he's advocating for violence why are we banning him? Granted I voted against Trump twice, and the only thing I like about him was that he didn't start any new large wars especially in the middle east. But I hated his climate policy, hated his tax cuts, hated the wall, hated him axing the individual mandate of the Affordable care act or Obamacare or ACA. So I understand why people would hate Trump, but to cancel tens of millions of people, some of whom we can covert is a bad strategy, optics, and bad political philosophy.

And Trumps' not even the worst Republican president in recent history, George W Bush was, he started two wars in the middle east that were unpaid for, and had a large tax cut bill that increased the debt to give to the rich. But I don't see society cancel GWB. Oh, and Bush canceled the proto-Paris Accord before it was a thing it was called the Kyoto Protocol.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
dude but those ideals are "trans people bad" and they give money to people who will do things that harm trans people. If I give them my money then they can use that money to give it to people who will do bad things to trans people.
Well here is this thing. You can agree and or support someone or something without agreeing with everything they do. Those politicians could have views on taxes, local policies, police reform, and any number of other causes that one can agree and support. While that politician also doesnt support some other cause.

Nobody is 100% good or bad. It isnt black and white and you have to weigh those things. Often it boils down to not liking the guy because of trans issues, but what if there are a lot of other things that the politician also supports that are genuinely positive changes?

Would you sacrifice one ideal for ten others? Or would you sacrifice the ten for the one?

But they paint this shit as such black and white that they dont look at anything else going on. Sterling has that problem as well.

In a perfect world everyone would support everyone, but we dont live in that reality.