Scott Pilgrim gets dominated.

wrecker77

May 31, 2008

Friends, I bring terrible news. And the worst part is, you probably already know on the inside.

Friday, Scott Pilgrim and The Expendables opened, and Scott Pilgrim got DESTROYED. The Expendables grossed around $35 million, while Scott Pilgrim was took in around $10.5 million.

The most crushing news of all is that it apparently took $60 million to produce.

This CANNOT end well.

And I honestly don't see the appeal of the expendables. Yeah all the great actors, but the movie itself looked sub par.

Its not fair... Now I know how Cabela feels...

tomtom94

aka "Who?"
May 11, 2009
wrecker77 said:
And I honestly don't see the appeal of the expendables. Yeah all the great actors,
You just answered your own question :p

OT: I guess it's a combination of the Cera-haters and the fact it's going up against a film with an amazing cast (which, let's be honest, the "casuals" are more likely to want to see).

Ah well. I haven't seen either yet, I want to see both...but I need money.

Yokai

Oct 31, 2008
Noooooooooo!

I stand by my belief that Scott Pilgrim was the second best film this year after Inception, but honestly I'm not surprised. A movie full of retro video game references based off a small-time graphic novel doesn't really stand a chance against a movie with every action star ever in it, regardless of how awesome the former is and how terrible the latter.

I don't care though, I mark it as another success in Edgar Wright's perfect record. It was so great.

Peteron

Oct 9, 2009
So...? Expendables was bad, but Scott Pilgrim is about 4 times as bad. Some things should just stay comic books, and Michael Cera is a terrible actor.

Jul 22, 2009
Scott Pilgrim releases in the UK on August 25th and I have seen pretty much no worthwhile competition.

I'm seeing it day one anyway ;D

SantoUno

Aug 13, 2009
Many people must have thought it was a stupid, childish, concept. That's exactly what I thought when I saw the trailers.

Then some people suggested to me that it was actually a more interesting concept because it was based off the comic book which I never knew existed.

Who cares anyway? Just because it didn't make that much opening weekend doesn't mean it's going to stay that way.

nunqual

Jul 18, 2010
I didn't see what was so awesome about all this hype for this film. From what I saw it had a weak premise.

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
Meh.

Scott Pilgrims premise sounds horrible in my ears. I'm getting a lot of Spy Kids 3D vibes here!

The Expendables on the other hand was by far the best film this year.

no oneder

Jul 11, 2010
I just finished reading Scott's Vol. 6 and I really have to say this:
Stephen Stills is gay!

As for the OT, I don't plan on seeing The Expendables until they apologize.

wrecker77

May 31, 2008
GamesB2 said:
It releases in the UK on August 25th and I have seen pretty much no worthwhile competition.

I'm seeing it day one anyway ;D
Which one, Scott or the expendables?

tellmeimaninja said:
Plus, as I've said: People are drugged monkeys who are easily entertained by random flashing coloured lights. That's the main reason The Expendables has made money at all.
Well, by that logic Scott pilgrim is really the same thing. Except Scott is done MUCH better, and with more substance.

z121231211

Jun 24, 2008
tellmeimaninja said:
Plus, as I've said: People are drugged monkeys who are easily entertained by random flashing coloured lights. That's the main reason The Expendables has made money at all.
No offense to Scott Pilgrim, but I'm sure it had at least 3x as much flashing coloured lights as The Expendables.

JWW

Jan 6, 2010
Seems like you could use a button [http://www.nooooooooooooooo.com/]

But seriously, I'm not shocked at all. The actors in the expendables are extremely good at what they do (action movies), and getting them all together is a guarantee for (financial) success.

dfphetteplace

Nov 29, 2009
I have zero interest in either movie. The Expendables is just retarded looking, but Scott Pilgrim isn't any better. It just looks like a bunch of boring teenage romance crap served up with a lot of flash. I don't have time for that crap.