Scott Pilgrim gets dominated.

-Orgasmatron-

Nov 3, 2008
Don't plan on seeing either to soon but Scott Pilgrim looked ridiculously bad in all the trailers and adverts I've seen for it.

PeterDawson

Feb 10, 2009
Not a giant shocker. Scott Pilgrim was a giant risk because of how crazy it is, and while it appeals to gamers and anime fans alike, Expendables appeals to people who grew up watching movies featuring guys like Stallone, Lundgren, Li and Statham, nevermind who else is in it. To turn this into a sexual competition, its a nerd boner versus a man boner.

Oh yeah, and the Expendables was fairly enjoyable. Had some blatant camera problems and the script while decent wasn't brilliant, but what were you expecting? Lundgren fighting Li was in of itself worth the price of admission. Granted Scott Pilgrim sold itself with its custom Universal Pictures logo...

Nerf Ninja

Dec 20, 2008
Oh dear what a shame how very awful that a bad film didn't make money.

It's probably because the target audience are too "hip" to go to the cinema.

It's twilight for guys and most of the people squeeling over it are displaying the same level of obnoxiousness they deride in fans of those films.

shogunblade

Apr 13, 2009
tellmeimaninja said:
Yokai said:
Noooooooooo!

I stand by my belief that Scott Pilgrim was the second best film this year after Inception, but honestly I'm not surprised. A movie full of retro video game references based off a small-time graphic novel doesn't really stand a chance against a movie with every action star ever in it, regardless of how awesome the former is and how terrible the latter.

I don't care though, I mark it as another success in Edgar Wright's perfect record. It was so great.
The lack of Samuel Jackson automatically renders the main selling point of The Expendables invalid.

I think we should all go see Scott Pilgrim. Right now.

Plus, as I've said: People are drugged monkeys who are easily entertained by random flashing coloured lights. That's the main reason The Expendables has made money at all.
Actually, I think "Scott Pilgrim" has more flashy colored lights than the "Expendables" explosions, blood and gun shots.

So in reality, the drugged monkeys didn't want epilepsy and went to "Sylvester Stallone presents Michael Bay's 'Explosions!'".

Does it really matter? I'd go see both, really.

Axolotl

Feb 17, 2008
What the large budget action film staring some of the most well known actors today outperformed a film aimed purely at uber-hardcore video game/comic/manga/anime nerds? Who could have possibly guessed?

I plan to see both on the opening day, The Expendables didn't dissapoint and I doubt Scott Pilgrim will either.

Eggsnham

Apr 29, 2009
I honestly didn't see the appeal of either movie.

Whoo. An awkward kid played by Michael Cera (again) who meets a beautiful girl who's undoubtedly out of his proverbial league and somehow convinces her to be in a relationship with him by using his charmingly awkward social skills (again).

But the twist is that there's music and superpowers involved. And fighting.

Whooptedy dee. A movie with all of the action movie actors from the eighties and nineties about blowing stuff up and killing dudes. Again.

Really, I don't see the "wow" factor of either movies, maybe I'm just being ignorant with a huge pine-cone up my ass, but I seriously don't see the appeal.

SalamanderJoe

Jun 28, 2010
Scott Pilgrim hasn't opened in the UK yet, but I'd imagine it'll do well seeing as it's directed by Edgar Wright, who wrote and directed Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz. And those two are British classics.

Mr.Squishy

Apr 14, 2009
From what I have heard, Scott Pilgrim's premise goes like this: Movie based on a (faux)manga about a lazy hipster-douche who just so happens to be "THE CHOSEN ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!". Also, it's a rom-com starring Michael "I can't act" Cera.

The expendables on the other hand, has: Sylvester Stallone, AKA Rocky, Jason Statham, Dolph Lundgren, Jet Li, AKA the awesomest kung fu guy alive save for Jackie Chan, plus plus plus. They all go kick ass without pretensions otherwise.

Gee, I wonder how this came to be.

David Bray

Jan 8, 2010
It'll make it back. Other, wiser, countries didn't open it against an action flick that brought mass favourites from the 70s onwards.

Yokai

Oct 31, 2008
tellmeimaninja said:
Yokai said:
Noooooooooo!

I stand by my belief that Scott Pilgrim was the second best film this year after Inception, but honestly I'm not surprised. A movie full of retro video game references based off a small-time graphic novel doesn't really stand a chance against a movie with every action star ever in it, regardless of how awesome the former is and how terrible the latter.

I don't care though, I mark it as another success in Edgar Wright's perfect record. It was so great.
The lack of Samuel Jackson automatically renders the main selling point of The Expendables invalid.
You know, that is a fair point. Could also do with a little Shah Rukh Khan, although pretty much no one in the western hemisphere has heard of him.

dathwampeer said:
Furburt said:
I would see Scott Pilgrim, but Michael Cera's faux awkwardness prevents me from doing so. However, I'm looking forward to the Expendables. Dumb, yes, but fun.

Anyway, I'd say it'll make it back in DVD sales. Those films popular with the indie crowd usually do.
I hate that guy too. I think practically every film he's been in has suffered for it... Well in my opinion.
Cera's performance is much better than usual in this case. He's still not exactly right for the spastic and naive role, but he does better than I expected him to. Even if you hate the guy on principle, the very well-written secondary characters make up for him.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Well, duh!

- Scott Pilgrim is a movie aimed at the geek demographic filled with nerdy references.

- The Expendables is movie aimed at the mainstream action-demographic filled with Stallone, Willis and Schwarzenegger.

Do the math.

IamQ

Mar 29, 2009
Axolotl said:
What the large budget action film staring some of the most well known actors today outperformed a film aimed purely at uber-hardcore video game/comic/manga/anime nerds? Who could have possibly guessed?

I plan to see both on the opening day, The Expendables didn't dissapoint and I doubt Scott Pilgrim will either.
Actually, The Expendables had a budget of 40 milion while Scott Pilgrim had a budget of 60 milion.

FaceFaceFace

Nov 18, 2009
tellmeimaninja said:
Plus, as I've said: People are drugged monkeys who are easily entertained by random flashing coloured lights. That's the main reason The Expendables has made money at all.
That's so offensive. To monkeys. Even drugged they have better decision-making skills than average film-goers.

Axolotl

Feb 17, 2008
IamQ said:
Axolotl said:

Actually, The Expendables had a budget of 40 milion while Scott Pilgrim had a budget of 60 milion.
But 40 million is still a big budget, meaning that The Expendables is a big budget film. The budget for Scott Pilgrim may be bigger but the target audience is, small, really small.

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
no oneder said:
I just finished reading Scott's Vol. 6 and I really have to say this:
Stephen Stills is gay!

As for the OT, I don't plan on seeing The Expendables until they apologize.
What? That happened all the way back in volume 5.

Swifteye

Apr 15, 2010
tellmeimaninja said:
Yokai said:
Noooooooooo!

I think we should all go see Scott Pilgrim. Right now.

Whoa. That didn't make you sound like an egocentric jackass at all.

Are you really surprised dude? This isn't news to me. Scott pilgrim is some no name comic being turned into a movie with the main character already being someone most people are tired seeing filled with a cast of second hands to non existents.

Another is the widely anticipated movie featuring all the guys from 80s schlock action movies everyone grew up with coming together for a last hurrah.

It's literally the mainstream game vs. the indie game. And it goes without saying the mainstream game would just make more money it's like inevitable.

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
I'm going to watch both.

Scott Pilgrim is for nerds/gamers/comic lovers, and despite my growing dislike for Cera (not yet hatred), an actor is never a reason to see/not see a movie in my opinion. Seeing how it was based on a comic that is filled with references to old-school video games, I think this movie is gonna hit home for me, being a comic nerd and gamer.

Expendables is a silly over the top action film. Sometimes a mindless film like that is just what the doctor ordered for stress/boredom. Plus, I like almost all the names involved. This movie goes against one of my pricipals (Never make an actor the selling point of the movie), yet this one has so many, I'm willing to make an exception.

Film of the Year? Neither are quite that, but I still plan on watching (and thoroughly enjoying) both. On the topic of sales: Yeah, I do feel it's a shame that about Pilgrim.

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
It's hurts me that there's so much hate in the thread for a film from the director of Hot Fuzz and Shaun of the Dead. Shame on you people.

This news saddens me. The Expendables hasn't gained my praise, even from an 80s action movie homage stand point. From what I can gather, your much better off just watching those movies.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
Unfortunately I took one look at the mail lead and wrote Scott Pilgrim off. Michael Cera is a terrible actor (I mean really bad like Toby McGuire bad) and he has only been in dumb teen movies. The Expendables has a bunch of old and famous action stars. Lots of people know the guys from the Expendables and it has an audience of everyone over about 20. Scott Pilgrim just has a more narrow audience (young guys and some young gals).