Scott Pilgrim gets dominated.

acosn

Sep 11, 2008
RAKtheUndead said:
This line says a lot; I do resent the nerd community becoming marketable, but what I resent even more is the suggestion that nerds in general are any good at romance.
Something inside me died when I discovered that you had to wear the right t-shirt to let everyone know you were nerdy.

What, we weren't the easiest group of people to pick out of a crowd in high school already?

The_Puppy_Prince

Jul 28, 2010
I agree with some past comments
Expendables had big name actors blah blah blah
But Id much rather see a movie that tries something different,
I guess the majority would rather see something blatant and something that colors inside the lines
Than something that tries something different and frightens the majority.

child of lileth

The Norway Italian
Jun 10, 2009
All I know about that Scott Pilgrim movie is that, "It's Twilight for boys." That was enough for me to never even care if I found out anymore beyond that.

Sightless Wisdom

Resident Cynic
Jul 24, 2009
Well, this big mass of hatred that was formerly a thread is certainly a good advertisement for the movie if noting else. I may actually watch it now... The expendables however, maybe not. I like seeing things blow up just as much as the next guy but I'm not paying to see explosions and an average plot.

stubbmann

Jan 25, 2008
child of lileth said:
All I know about that Scott Pilgrim movie is that, "It's Twilight for boys." That was enough for me to never even care if I found out anymore beyond that.
...What.

So someone told you it was Twilight for boys... and you were instantly turned off forever? By one comment? One... really weird comment?

child of lileth

The Norway Italian
Jun 10, 2009
stubbmann said:
child of lileth said:
...What.

So someone told you it was Twilight for boys... and you were instantly turned off forever? By one comment? One... really weird comment?
I had no interest to begin with. I was turned-off from it forever, when it was confirmed there was no reason for me to have interest in it to begin with anyway.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
The Critic cartoon in the 90's accurately predicted the outcome of the Expendables.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMSPNaakm4A

sketch_zeppelin

Jan 22, 2010
That does suck. I really enjoyed scott pilgrim. I didn't hate the expendables as baddly as movie bob but i do think it was overated.

Diver Down

Aug 21, 2010
Michael Cera is not a terrible actor, its called being "typecast". That's when an actor is written into the same sort of character in several roles. You know, actors like:
Sylvester Stallone - action guy
Arnold Schwarzenegger - action guy
Jim Carrey - wacky, white-friendly funny guy
But yes, I will concede that he's made some terrible films.
i.e. - Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist

G-Force

Jan 12, 2010
Hugh Mann said:
OT: Scott Pilgrim felt like it stopped every five seconds to wink at you and say "Hey remember this video game, aren't we clever?!?" or "Hey we're breaking the fourth wall, isn't that imaginative?!?", Expendables looks a lot more straight forward, and less pretentious
Curious, how do you define the word pretentious?

OceanRunner

Mar 18, 2009
So a film is successful just because they dump in a bunch of celeb actors? That just isn't right.

Paradoxrifts

Jan 17, 2010
I think that more than a few people have made a grave mistranslation concerning the seething, belligerent but much justifiable rage that has sprung up right across the Geekdom in response to Micheal Bay and his Transformer flicks. You don't butcher a much beloved and cherished childhood memory without getting a fair amount of backlash the original audience. Movie Bob does have a rather nasty habit in his reviews of trying to associate with transformers every big budget Hollywood flick he finds exception with.

It doesn't work, so here's the straight dope.

The majority of us just would not care if Michael Bay was making squillion-dollar movies about anthropomorphic robotic lifeforms from space, provided they had nothing to do with the transformers brand. It'd just be just yet another disappointing, quickly forgotten summer blockbuster among many.