SCOTUS Actually Played "Violent Video Games" Before Ruling On Them

chimeracreator

Jun 15, 2009
The fact that they don't use email makes sense to me, and I say this as someone who works in the field of information technology and who has configured email solutions. The trick about any technology is that it has to have an appropriate use case, and email is designed to allow for near instantaneous long distance communication of messages of varying length of formality to an arbitrary number of recipients at the same fixed cost. Due to its speed however email tends to demand a more immediate response than a traditional memo, and because of this is often less formal.

The Supreme Court when in session has a collection of seven individuals with equal voting power all in the same building, which is filled with clerks and interns. In the past these clerks and interns have relayed communications and it has, in some cases, been considered an honor to do so. As the number of endpoints for a particular communication never exceeds six for any one justice and the communication must be highly formal and proofed traditional email editors are ill suited for this task.

Which brings us to what often shows up for formal emails, i.e. drafting it in a word processor first along with the appropriate letterhead and having it proofread formally to ensure that no mistakes are made. In the SCOTUS' case they simply choose to transmit these using intern-net rather than using their own intranet mail server.

Likewise for those unfamiliar with how decisions are handed down by the court a single justice writes the majority opinion, and other justices can either join the opinion, write a concurring opinion or write a dissenting opinion (other justices can also join in a dissent). Also please remember, that these opinions are not delivered instantly. The court deliberates for several months after hearing the oral argument for a case and having all of the parties file before handing down a decision. So the fact that it takes Justice Kagan's memo an extra ten minutes to reach Justice Ginsberg's is a fairly minor issue given that they will end up talking about the facts of the case at lunch, and both are busy going over prior case law anyways.

Xenowolf

Feb 3, 2012
Robot Number V said:
Yeah, all I took away from this is the Supreme MOTHERFUCKING Court still doesn't use email. The technology is at LEAST 20 years old. (Probably. I was born in 1991, OK?). I get that they're old, but maybe if they can't keep up with, you know, modern society, they should've retired by now.
The first ever e-mail was sent on ARPANET in 1971, which really says quite a lot about them...

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Daymo said:
Supreme Court Justices' doing Let's Plays, make it happen.
I want this so much. Couldn't hurt their public image, either.
Robot Number V said:
Yeah, all I took away from this is the Supreme MOTHERFUCKING Court still doesn't use email. The technology is at LEAST 20 years old. (Probably. I was born in 1991, OK?). I get that they're old, but maybe if they can't keep up with, you know, modern society, they should've retired by now.
In their defense, I never check my email. Even when I get on it, I usually only skim the inbox to see if anything that isn't spam was sent to me. If you know me, you'll call or text me on my cell phone. Even then, I might miss you if I am at work or simply left my phone in another room. The absolute worst way to get in touch with me is email. Unless I have a reason to check it, I don't really bother.

You'd probably be better off messaging me on Escapist than emailing me.

runic knight

Mar 26, 2011
I just keep thinking of them playing bioshock and throwing bees at enemies. Not sure why, just was the first thought I had. Of course, them playing bioshock probably would have been good to support the idea of art as well, so maybe it is wishful thinking?

JenSeven

Crazy person! Avoid!
Oct 19, 2010
runic knight said:
I just keep thinking of them playing bioshock and throwing bees at enemies. Not sure why, just was the first thought I had. Of course, them playing bioshock probably would have been good to support the idea of art as well, so maybe it is wishful thinking?
It seems to me more like clubbing random dudes into trees with purple giant dildo bats to the beat of camp 80's pop songs.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
Well that's good to hear. I'm glad these people had enough common sense to actually play the games before they decide whether or not they should be banned.

I will say though, the fact they don't seem to use e-mail, especially in this day and age, is kinda weird. Kinda odd that people with such power are a bit behind on the times.

Denizen

Jan 29, 2010
I figured that's what they did back in that ruling. They probably found a bunch of video games notorious for "violence," played them, and laughed at the awkward and ineffectual violence. Most video game violence is cartoony and awkward, never for the sake of being offensive like what the media wants people to think. The only 2 who ruled against it probably stuck to the media's interpretation but it all comes back to the cycle of new art mediums.

Those judges probably remember when rock n' roll or even jazz was supposed to be the devil's music but liked it anyway. But 2 of them chose to be like the generation that demonized those two musical art genres.

History repeats itself, different names, same problem.

GamemasterAnthony

Dec 5, 2010
Trippy Turtle said:
I just deleted my entire post because as I was typing it I thought of the most amazing thing ever.
Imagine this, but the judge making one. It would be golden.
"I'm Elena Kagan, and I'm a Pandarian warrior! What's your game?!"
Seconding this. This would have been fun to watch.

Mind you...I am still disappoint Jack Black didn't make one as a Pandarian Monk, but that's just me.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
Yuuki said:
Now we just need the retards in Australia to do the same thing.

No, wait, that would just end up with them banning MORE games following the "law of ass backwards".
Fairly certain that's a requirement of the ratings department anyway...

Though to be honest, the number of Australians I saw leaving facebook comments about how it was entirely appropriate to ban whatever they personally didn't like didn't inspire much confidence.

Seems the heart of the problem isn't limited to the government trying to ban things...

faefrost

Jun 2, 2010
Lyvric said:
I think you're taking email bit way out of proportion. Some of these judges actually do, some actually don't. Lots of smart people I know (of varying ages) don't have Email or Facebook or whatever by choice even though they are fully aware of it.

Kudos to them for trying it out. I have respect for people willing to give something new a try. With the flurry of rumors and pointed fingers, games need a fair chance like this to assessed properly.
One of the more recently retired Justices (Souter I believe) was noted for disliking electricity. he would drag his desk around the office to keep it in the sunlight from the window rather than turn on an electric lamp. Although it is possible that whale oil was still considered an acceptable alternative in his world view.

No, they really don't live in the same world as the rest of us. Kagan is probably the most technology savy of the lot of them. (Athough the thought of Ruth Badder Ginsberg screaming out HEADSHOT in a CoD match is oddly arousing?)