Scrabble Attacked for Lesbian Slang

Logan Frederick

Aug 19, 2006
Scrabble Attacked for Lesbian Slang

Ubisoft's portable Scrabble game gets attacked for gay terminology.

Zachary McAdam, an Ulster, Ireland, man, is calling for a Nintendo DS Scrabble game published by Ubisoft to be recalled after discovering that the word "lesbo" is counted in its anagram section. McAdam, an IT project manager from Holywood, was playing Junior Scrabble 2007 with his 7-year-old daughter Ellen, but halted when the word appeared on screen.

He said, "We were stuck trying to find the last five-letter anagram so I hit the give-up option and the term 'lesbo' appeared on the screen. I nearly fell off my chair. The term 'lesbo' is a slang name intentionally meant to cause offense. I looked it up on the website dictionary.com just to make sure I wasn't overreacting, and it described the word as a noun, slang, disparaging and offensive."

Junior Scrabble 2007 is based on the word list provided by the Chambers Official Scrabble Dictionary. The Chambers definition for "lesbo" reads: "Derogatory slang short form of lesbian. Although lesbo did not become current until 1940s: previously used by heterosexuals as derisive insults to gay women, though it seems that gay women are now using the words to describe themselves in positive terms."

Northern Ireland Gay Rights Association spokesman PA MagLochlainn said, "I would never use the word. The correct term is lesbian. I am not in the least bit surprised it is included because the young men who design these games are not taught by schools that these words can be used as a form of homophobic bullying."

Ubisoft released a statement apologizing to Mr. McAdam's and any others who were offended by the term:
[blockquote]We are sorry if Scrabble 2007 for the DS has caused concern to any of our customers. Ubisoft develops games for entertainment, with the goal of bringing enjoyment to the players, and it is of course never our intention to upset them.

In the case of Scrabble 2007, the game uses a word list based on the Chambers Official Scrabble Dictionary and all approved words contained in this dictionary are playable in the game. There are over 277,000 approved words in the dictionary.

The dictionary includes words used in the English language, but that may be considered unusual or offensive. It is for this reason that the game includes a 'junior' option which will prevent the player and computer using these 'unusual' or 'offensive' words in playing. However, 'lesbo' is not considered as offensive by the official dictionary and therefore is playable in both options.[/blockquote]

Source: Belfast Telegraph [http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/article3002922.ece]

VanishedOne

Oct 9, 2007
I may be lacking some context, but what do game designers who are young men uniquely have to do with this?

Bongo Bill

Jul 13, 2006
I have difficulty comprehending how a word, by itself and without context, can be offensive, short of being outright obscene. Then again, I've been burned by vocabulary choice often enough in the past to have developed a Pavlovian sort of aversion to using words which the mysterious social voodoo deems offensive, and it does seem reasonable to expect Ubisoft to play by those rules as well.

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
I'm torn on this one. On the one hand, I'm outright sick of folks getting all uppity and aggro about words, books and ideas they don't personally agree with, expecting the rest of the world to bend to their short-sighted, closed-minded idealism.

On the other hand, seriously, how hard would it have been for the dev team to chuck "lesbo" into the right category and avoid all this folderol to begin with?

Joe

Jul 7, 2006
Shouldn't the gay and lesbian community be getting up in arms about the people who wrote Chambers Official Scrabble Dictionary and not the people who designed a videogame based on it?

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
Joe said:
Shouldn't the gay and lesbian community be getting up in arms about the people who wrote Chambers Official Scrabble Dictionary and not the people who designed a videogame based on it?
I would imagine it's because the book doesn't have a "junior" mode, purported to be safe for minors. Besides, people don't read anymore.

Joe

Jul 7, 2006
Russ Pitts said:
I would imagine it's because the book doesn't have a "junior" mode, purported to be safe for minors. Besides, people don't read anymore.
No junior mode? How will kids ever learn to spell?!

Virgil

#virgil { display:none; }
Legacy
Jun 13, 2002
Russ Pitts said:
On the other hand, seriously, how hard would it have been for the dev team to chuck "lesbo" into the right category and avoid all this folderol to begin with?
Ubisoft said:
However, 'lesbo' is not considered as offensive by the official dictionary and therefore is playable in both options.
I believe the developers' response is intended to mean that they didn't do any of the flagging of words at all. It would make sense, given the number of Scrabble-based video games, that a digital version of the official dictionary is given to licensees to just 'drop in' once the engine is built. If that dictionary is supposed to be pre-filtered to flag offensive words, which is what I believe they were implying, I doubt that they'd assign someone to double-check all the words in the dictionary (other than spot-checking the obvious ones, just to make sure the flagging is working).

So yeah, I'm inclined to go with a data source error, technically leaving Chambers to blame for not 'properly' flagging the word as offensive, which was probably just an oversight by some menial data entry guy. Which in reality means little, because despite the problem being an honest mistake, it's now a Cause. For The Children.

Alch

Dec 4, 2006
Lesbo is not offensive. Clicking on a link with that in the title usually leads to great joy.

:)

Redfeather

Sep 18, 2007
Hmm, I was hoping it was a typo and it was actually 'Lesbos' (as in Isle of) but no. I think the poster who questioned whether or not "nigga" should be included (or the reaction if it was) is pretty apropos.

Is 'felching' a word in the Official Scrabble Dictionary? I mean, if we're shooting for offensive...

Easykill

Sep 13, 2007
I dont blame Scrabble, it seemed like an honest mistake, but I also have to agree about the "nigga" comment so some blame should definitly fall on the dictionary.

Ruairi iliffe

Sep 13, 2010
Having Grown up in the North, i'd say i can understand why they are attacking this as hard as they are, I dare anyone to go into a primary school or high, and find out some of the most used insults and 'Lesbo' tops for most to girls, They have Really really trying to weed out terms like this from schools now for 15 odd years.

Rack

Jan 18, 2008
Russ Pitts said:
I'm torn on this one. On the one hand, I'm outright sick of folks getting all uppity and aggro about words, books and ideas they don't personally agree with, expecting the rest of the world to bend to their short-sighted, closed-minded idealism.

Easy, just go through all 277,000 words in the scrabble dictionary and comb through the definitions to make sure you agree with the official demarkations as to which words are offensive.

Megacherv

Kinect Development Sucks...
Sep 24, 2008
Russ Pitts said:

277,000 is a lot of words to check through. I think they just got the info from the official dictionary and just trusted Chambers to have sorted it out already.

Also, if that came up, I'd probably laugh. We play rude-word scrabble in our house and that there is solid gold.

Now I just have to put it on a 'double word' square...

SomeLameStuff

What type of steak are you?
Apr 26, 2009
Whoa there, a thread bump from 2007? The past is here!

It is quite ridiculous how the spokesman's raging on about how the game was designed by 'ill educated' young men, therefore having "lesbo" in the game is no surprise.

... What?