Scream out the name of your favorite attack

Greg White

Sep 19, 2012
Only time I'd call it acceptable is if someone is repeating back a firing order of some kind.

FIRING FOR EFFECT!

Harley Q

Oct 11, 2009
ATTACK HUG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Then I lunge towards my opponent, arms spread, ready to clamp around their weaselly little thoraxes and crush their souls...

Bluestorm83

Jun 20, 2011
Leemaster777 said:
So, one of the most common tropes in Shonen anime and manga is the whole "I'm going to scream out the name of my attack before I use it!" thing.

Dragonball Z does it:

Pokemon does it:

They even parody it in Despicable Me 2:

Starting at :42

Though there are always those moments where it doesn't go so well:

So my question to you is: What is your favorite instance of this? Attacks where, for some reason or another (I suspect brain damage), the user MUST announce the name of the attack before they can use it. My personal favorite is probably:

Baller. Oh, and if you're feeling sassy, make up your own attack for yourself, too. It's easy, just take two words, the first being a description, and the second being some kind of attack-sounding thing, and add them together. Like, Electric Knuckle, or Ultimate Blaster, or Golden Sword, or something like that.

I'll go with *takes in deep breath* Destiny Rescinder! I dunno, just made it up.
From what I was once informed, which I will admit may just be a cool story, this trope actually originates in the way Samurai fought back in the day. Apparently, as a sign of respect, you'd announce your style or technique's name to your opponent, so if you killed him, he could die knowing exactly what it was that you knew that he didn't, and rest on that. And vice versa, too. Like I said, might not be true, but it's cool if it is.

Dec 14, 2009
Johnny Impact said:
Japanese version is better, 'cause they say it in Engrish: "GIIIIGAAAAAAAAAAAA...........DURIRUUUUUUH..........BUREAAAAAAAAKUUUH!!!!!!!"

I second this :D

Here's the Japanese version

[HEADING=1]giguuuh... duhrilll... breaaaaaaaaaakaaaaaaaah![/HEADING]

SuperFrankieLampard

Jan 25, 2013
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiT5Ji6r8t0

Don't know how to get videos to show up but can't beat a bit of DROGBAAAAAAAAAA whilst Gary Neville explodes in the background.

Mister K

This is our story.
Apr 25, 2011
Furueru zo haato!

Moetsukiru hodo hiito!

Kisamu zo, ketsueki no biito!

Sunlight Yellow Overdrive!

*pose*

One of the most badass scenes I've seen. Only Whitebeard is more badass, but sadly he does not name his attacks.

Leemaster777

Feb 25, 2010
Daystar Clarion said:
Johnny Impact said:
Japanese version is better, 'cause they say it in Engrish: "GIIIIGAAAAAAAAAAAA...........DURIRUUUUUUH..........BUREAAAAAAAAKUUUH!!!!!!!"

I second this :D

Here's the Japanese version

[HEADING=1]giguuuh... duhrilll... breaaaaaaaaaakaaaaaaaah![/HEADING]
You know... I'm not normally one to post ponies without context, but if you guys are going to post EVERY version of that scene... I have to get in on the action, too.

Glongpre

Jun 11, 2013
Back leg round kick!

Feel it. Muay Thai kicks are satisfying to land. Anyone see the Edson Barbosa fight recently? Damnnnnnn, tko by leg kicks. My hero.

MorphingDragon

Apr 17, 2009
Why hasn't anyone mentioned the greatest attack shout of all?

Glongpre said:
Back leg round kick!

Feel it. Muay Thai kicks are satisfying to land. Anyone see the Edson Barbosa fight recently? Damnnnnnn, tko by leg kicks. My hero.
Muay Thai kicks are brutal.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Easily the FALCON PUNCH!!! Since Melee gave us that glorious move I can't help but scare the hell out of my friends every time I reckon it's gonna connect.

I also really like Gaara's calls in Naruto. I always get hyped up and call it with him cause he's such a badass and I just find the idea of crushing people into nothing awesome.

KOMega

Aug 30, 2010
HERE I GO!
ERUPTING BURNING FINGER!

Angie7F

WiseGurl
Nov 11, 2011

A rough summary of Sailor Moon

I am sooo waiting for the new series to begin this summer!

AgedGrunt

Dec 7, 2011
It's a toss up between "Mirror Slice!" and the concentrated power of chi energy exhuming from Fei Fong Wong and Citan Uzuki during their deathblows.

http://youtu.be/yL-_0Yo4ZMQ