Scrolls May Go Free-to-Play

Alcaste

Mar 2, 2011
The moment it goes free-to-play or gets released (not as a "paid beta") is the moment I pick the game up. Until then...Nah.

TK421

Apr 16, 2009
Sofus said:
Free to play is a parasite, and it must be exterminated at any and all cost!

You may think that "free to play is good for both the consumer and the publisher" but you couldn't be more wrong. Games cost money to make, they cost money to distribute and unless they want to go out of business then they need to make some profit. Yeah go ahead and give me an example about the developer/publisher that only sells cosmetic stuff, I gurantee you that something in that shop has stuff that alters the gameplay in some way.
League of Legends. The only thing you can buy is name changes and skins. You can buy champs too, but it doesn't really change gameplay as you can get them for free just as fast.

DJTruthsayer

Mar 24, 2011
in reply about F2P games: Star Trek Online anyone? you can get anything in the game for free if your willing to put in the time and effort....

KoudelkaMorgan

Jul 31, 2009
I once watched a Let's Look At of Scrolls video on youtube. I had absolutely no idea wtf I was watching, but it was really boring and fairly complicated looking.

It didn't look like anything I would like to play, so for me at least the cost is a nonfactor.

Rack

Jan 18, 2008
Wow, that's a classy way to screw over the people who actually bought it. Don't bother updating the game to make it any better just introduce the same parasitic fun sucking free to play bullshit that makes every other online card game unplayable.

blackdwarf

Jun 7, 2010
yeah great, I bought this and I did enjoyed it. but the game is just not fun for newer players. One game takes easily more than half a hour and if you lose, you just have wasted that time, because the gold you get from doing that is almost non. I really liked the game, but it takes so long to make a good deck, and because I was one of the later players, I have to try and win from people who have finished their decks. that is the big flaw in that game.

At this moment I can't wait until I can play Heartstone.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Well I understand the dismay of people who already payed, but we also keep warning you about paying for early access.
And I absolutely understand why Mojang is going F2P, multiplayer games are nothing without someone to play with and by the looks of things their game is not standing out in the crowd so their user base will not last for long, CCG is a tightly filled market place with very refined games you don't just come in and get a spot to stay, especially now that super casual entries from Blizz are made that will overshadow many other games, trying to elbow through behemoths like that is no joke.

With F2P however no one is put off be the initial investment so they don't mind trying your game and keeping the existing players busy, it's no guarantee but it usually boosts user count by several factors.

Bostur

Mar 14, 2011
Rack said:
Wow, that's a classy way to screw over the people who actually bought it. Don't bother updating the game to make it any better just introduce the same parasitic fun sucking free to play bullshit that makes every other online card game unplayable.
I have a bit of the same feeling, on the other hand more players are badly needed and will improve things. It's a bit of a tricky situation for Mojang I imagine.

They do update it regularly. Latest feature is an interesting looking draft mode. and they add new cards regularly.

It does have some issues. The UI could do with some improvements, but I think the biggest problem is how games drag out. To me it feels like there are too many units on the field, making it more complex than it needs to be, and hard to manage with a 90 second turn timer.

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
At this point I don't care anymore if it goes free to play.

I am very content with Hearthstone at the moment and that is my CCG of choice that I play in my free time when there is no other games that get released.

Rack

Jan 18, 2008
Bostur said:
Rack said:
I have a bit of the same feeling, on the other hand more players are badly needed and will improve things. It's a bit of a tricky situation for Mojang I imagine.

They do update it regularly. Latest feature is an interesting looking draft mode. and they add new cards regularly.

It does have some issues. The UI could do with some improvements, but I think the biggest problem is how games drag out. To me it feels like there are too many units on the field, making it more complex than it needs to be, and hard to manage with a 90 second turn timer.
That's nice in theory but the draft mode is a paid feature. If they were interested in expanding the player base a freely available draft mode would have been a major usp. Instead Mojang seem more interested in strip mining their player base.

When it comes down to it Card Hunter is a better and more generous game than Scrolls even for free so I don't mind overly, but it paints a very bad picture on how Mojang behave when they aren't making $10,000,000 a minute with one of their games.

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
I'm seeing the complaints about the free-to-play model above, and I couldn't agree more.

I hate when the game developers literally (not figuratively) hold a gun to my head, and force me to purchase their multi-colored cosmetic hat with my hard-earned money! I can't stand the fact that I have no self-control, and thus can't play the game without trying out that optional mount! I especially hate how lazy I've become and would rather pay $10 than grind for 10 extra hours! It's all the game developers fault, not mine!

I understand the genuine criticisms with the model, like paying for those final ten levels, or being able to purchase the +10 Weapon of PvP, but notice how those games don't last that long? Meanwhile, games like CSR Racing (and the new CSR Classics) are doing very well for themselves because of the impulsive behavior I've mocked above.

But at the end of the day, you have to remember that you always have the option of not paying or not playing.

But of course, people love to *****.