Scythes in Games

blaize2010

Sep 17, 2010
Double A said:
They're large, unwieldy, and their stick is really flimsy. It would be hard to use one in a tight space. I wouldn't use it unless I was fighting evil radioactive wheat stalks.
you, sir, have forced my hand. i know what my first indy game is going to be.

Leemaster777

Feb 25, 2010
Now, HERE is a good example of a scythe in a game:

Yes, that's a gunscythe. And not just any gunscythe, a SNIPER RIFLE gunscythe. Damn good combo, if you ask me.

Double A

Jul 29, 2009
blaize2010 said:
Double A said:
They're large, unwieldy, and their stick is really flimsy. It would be hard to use one in a tight space. I wouldn't use it unless I was fighting evil radioactive wheat stalks.
you, sir, have forced my hand. i know what my first indy game is going to be.
I think I just pulled off a Xanatos Gambit.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
A counterpoint to the main anti-scythe argument:
The scythe is an impractical weapon in real life, yes. But if we're looking for games that use a scythe as a weapon, then chances are we don't care about realism in the game anyway.

Bocaj2000

Sep 10, 2008
Zasalamel from Soul Caliber comes to mind as the only practical application of the scythe. It can be used in combat just like any other two handed weapon.

CarlsonAndPeeters

Mar 18, 2009
I love swords, but I don't like scythes at all. Visually they just don't appeal to me. So I haven't really been missing them from games. Though I didn't like hammers, either, and Bastion changed that. So if its a good weapon, I'll use it. If not, I'll slice and dice with something else.

twistedheat15

Sep 29, 2010
Souplex said:
We've been over this before; Scythes are a poor choice for a weapon, and those who think otherwise have poor opinions.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.70517-Scythes#694172
Oh plz, ever since yahtzee said it was a farming too, that's all ppl scream on this forum when it's brought up. I don't care about the realism shit, I wanna fight with a scythe duct taped to a pair a nunchuku, with a flaming chain whip in my teeth. If a game can have you use H2H has a serious weapon vs ppl wearing iron clad armor, and giant stone monsters, then a person can use a scythe w/e hearing the garden tool BS.

Annoying Turd

Jul 3, 2009
Belated said:
The scythe.

So epic.
We don't talk about the scythe often enough on this forum site. Scythes are just awesome. Scythes are sharp, pointy, and come in all kinds of different designs depending on who's drawing them. Scythes are intimidating, harbingers of death. And whether you're death himself [http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_2TVMxnrSCKY/TRDNyY212iI/AAAAAAAARMs/awPc2GYwBtQ/s1600/GrimReaper.jpg], or you just work for him, [http://gallery.fanserviceftw.com/_images/72ce1bfb8bb9e0e07d3863c3f3dfa0a5/741%20-%20maka_albarn%20soul_eater%20wallpaper.jpg] there's no denying the pure badassery of the scythe. They're just plain cool.

If you're into anime, there's plenty of scythes to be found. But what about video games? We had Dante [http://www.productwiki.com/upload/images/dante_s_inferno.jpg], and we had Ryu Hayabusa [http://gaygamer.net/images/ryustatue.jpg], and we had Zasalamel [http://www.fightersgeneration.com/characters4/zasa-sc3-big.jpg]. And we've had plenty of others. The scythe is to blades, what the desert eagle is to guns. It's an awesome, impractical weapon mostly chosen for aesthetic purposes. And though they sometimes seem childish, you secretly love them. I'm always disappointed when a fantasy game involving swordplay doesn't have scythes. Sure lots of games have had them, but I feel like it's not enough. I need more scythes! More more more!

Maybe I just play too many shooters, and simply don't know about enough games that have scythes. So, what are some good games that have awesome scythe usage? What are some upcoming titles you hope will have scythes?

For one, I'm really hoping Bethesda will think to include them in Skyrim.
The scythe was used in Grim Fandango, but mostly as a puzzle solving tool. In the last parts of the game it becomes pretty symbolic (thanks to juxtaposition).

Dr. wonderful

Dec 31, 2009
Souplex said:
We've been over this before; Scythes are a poor choice for a weapon, and those who think otherwise have poor opinions.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.70517-Scythes#694172
Bubblegum got a point.

Scythes are piss poor examples of weapons. You need to have the perfect balance between distance. Too far, won't hit shit. Too close Still can't hit shit and you going to end up hit.

Oh and the fact they are freaking farming tools.

Still, I do love this styce in this video.

dancinginfernal

Sep 5, 2009
I like how so many people are criticizing the practical usage of scythes in the real life, even though the thread has nothing to do with that.

This thread is about games with scythes people, not how useful the things are.

OT: Dungeon Fighter Online, a free MMO, has a Priest class that can specialize in Scythes if you so choose. They can be pretty effective. Fastest weapon that class can have.

sanquin

Jun 8, 2011
The scythe was actually used as a weapon in kung-fu...they used the scythe BECAUSE it was a farming tool, and because they couldn't have normal weapons. It does take a TON of practise and it's only useful in a 1 on 1 fight though.

Prof.draco

Oct 22, 2009
How has no-one mentioned Marluxia yet? He kicked my ass idk how many times in CoM (partially because I was crap at that game)

Lim3

Feb 15, 2010
I love the look of the sythe. You should put a poll in next time asking if people like the use of sythes in video games.

Edit: oh and Karst from Golden Sun uses a sythe: http://goldensun.wikia.com/wiki/Karst

Dan DePuy

Jun 15, 2011
Scythes are not weapons. THREAD OVER.

To go a bit more into detail, A scythe would be a poor choice of weapon, even in a game. The underside of the scythe blade is sharp, kind of like a reverse machete. Also, it's engineered to cut in a "scooping" motion, at or below the knees. The problem with using this as a weapon should be obvious. Even if you were to pick it up and hold the "blade" at the top like a polearm, there is still the problem of the curved staff which makes it less aerodynamic and makes it take longer to cut with. If you're not convinced, try it some time. Grab a scythe and try to cut something with it. Anything. I promise you'll have a very had time of it, unless that thing you're trying to cut happens to be some wheat.

As always, good reality-based info is only a wikipedia link away: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scythe

Basically, a scythe as a weapon is like a halberd or naginata, but not as good. So, if you'd like a weapon that is scythe-like, look there. All that being said, video games rarely if ever follow the rules of reality so a scythe would be a perfect weapon for any video game ever and will do umpty billion damage to whatever target you use them on, even if the attack animation makes no damn sense. Examples: The fire axe in L4D2. Have you ever used an axe on anything before? Has it ever passed through in one stroke? Does it always get stuck in whatever you chop at with it? Also, the male night elf in World of Warcraft shooting a bow. Do you know what would happen if you actually tried to shoot a bow that way? Most likely you'd hurt yourself more that whatever it is you're shooting at.

So, in video game logic, everything is an excellent weapon. Reality be damned!

Kakashi on crack

Aug 5, 2009
As a dnd fan, I can tell you that the scythe is a farming tool that has ridiculous stats at 2d4 critical: (17-20)x5 damage in the hands of a WM

no one should be that powerful with a farming implement

Hence I hate the scythe as a weapon >.>

I'm hoping bethesda brings back spears, and maybe crossbows though I know both are doubtful...

sanquin

Jun 8, 2011
@Dan DePuy:
Battle scythes aren't shaped liked regular farming scythes though. But your point does still stand. It's like a hallbert, but less effective. Just not as less effective as you claim it to be.

Dan DePuy

Jun 15, 2011
sanquin said:
@Dan DePuy:
Battle scythes aren't shaped liked regular farming scythes though. But your point does still stand. It's like a hallbert, but less effective. Just not as less effective as you claim it to be.
This would be a good point, but a battle scythe is not a thing. At no point in history has any culture ever used a scythe as a weapon. If you still disagree, I await your attempt at using a scythe in this manner. A halberd can cut in multiple directions and be utilized and maneuvered in the way a quarterstaff is used. A scythe, as a weapon, could cut at or around the knee level of your enemy. That is it. It has no defensive utility nor can a missed cut be followed up with another, and the haft is curved and too cumbersome to be used as a staff.

Aug 17, 2009
But they're big, unwieldy things that could very easily get stuck in whatever you're hitting. They have most of the drawbacks of bladed weapons with very little advantage outside of any psychological effect they'd have, and as Scipio proved in the Second Punic War, you can play as many mind games as you like, it won't matter when you're out-gunned, out-manned, and out-maneuvered.

I'm more upset that Classical-era weapons don't get much use in games. I mean, the Gladius conquered almost all of Europe, a few Darkspawn or Argonians shouldn't be a problem.