SDCC 2014: Dawn of Justice's Wonder Woman Revealed

webkilla

Feb 2, 2011
In a word: Drab. There's no color.

Oh well - until the movie comes out we won't know how bad this turns out

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Everything about these DC movies just seems like WB is saying: "Marvel does it and they make so much money so we wanna do it too". And that's why I can't get excited for anything DC related. They don't have a real plan for all of this like Marvel. They're making it all up as they go along, hoping for the best. And they don't seem to get why Marvel movies are so successful. They're trying to reinvent the wheel, while Marvel just took a normal wheel and put some spinners of it to make it flashier. Man of Steel was completely average because it tried to be edgy and cool. And we just had a good Batman trilogy. It's not time for more Batman yet.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
These look good in the same way that my sketches look good meaning, "That isn't bad but I can't wait to see the finished product. I'm imagining all of the awesome color now!" and then I never go back to work on that sketch again. If this movie is going to be taking the Frank Miller route (ie: moody with dull colors so as to make it look more like certain kinds of comics) that's one thing but if not, then why are these photos refusing to show off the colors?! I'm going to assume Batman is wearing Purple and, Wonder Woman is wearing puke-orange until I'm proven wrong.

Kenbo Slice

Deep In The Willow
Jun 7, 2010
Atary77 said:
What happened to the color? Where is the color? Is nothing allowed to be BRIGHT in these movies? Where's the red, white, blue, and gold? Why are the movie makers borrowing ideas from the Call of Duty color palette? Why is a movie about comic book super heroes have such washed out looking posters? WHY?!
Because DC thinks colors aren't "mature".

Aerosteam

Get out while you still can
Sep 22, 2011
Are... are those highheels? Right, I HAVE to see how she fights in those.

Edit: Aaand it turns out she's had them before. I don't read comics. Erm... where's the colour? That's something I can complain about!

marscentral

Where's the Kaboom?
Dec 26, 2009
I'll reserve final judgement until I see her in action and with less sepia, but I think she looks great.

Atary77

Feb 27, 2008
Kenbo Slice said:
Atary77 said:
What happened to the color? Where is the color? Is nothing allowed to be BRIGHT in these movies? Where's the red, white, blue, and gold? Why are the movie makers borrowing ideas from the Call of Duty color palette? Why is a movie about comic book super heroes have such washed out looking posters? WHY?!
Because DC thinks colors aren't "mature".
I think someone needed to tell Warner Bros. that using the shit crayon on everything isn't mature either.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
I'm wondering about the actual colour as well. It's hard to tell if there's much colour in the outfit at all.

Overall, I like the outfit. It's very classic looking and, at least in this image, Gadot actually pulls off the look much better than I thought she would. Good stuff.

luvd1

Jan 25, 2010
That will do me. Classical Greek armour as it should be. Yep, that will do me fine....those heels? She's in heels?

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
MovieBob said:
The sepia toned filter of the poster makes it a little difficult to discern what color everything is supposed to be
In other words, Zack Snyder doing his Zack Snyder thing. He always goes overboard with color grading to ensure that there's never more than one or two colors on the screen at once. With Man of Steel it was predominantly blue, with 300 it was predominantly brown, and with with Watchmen it was actually excusable because the graphic novel was like that to begin with.

I'm of the opinion that he needs to hire a competent colorist and stay the hell away from doing any color work himself, because I'm fairly certain he has no understanding of color theory himself.

P.S. Thanks

endtherapture

Nov 14, 2011
I think it's cool. Of course this site is Marvel fan boy central and everything about this film is reviled in accordance with what MovieBob tells you guys to think. There is no colour because they are going for an aesthetic tone, if you saw images from on-set there would likely be colour but they've gone for a very artistic style.

Who cares about high-heels breaking "realism" when you are watching a film about an orphaned alien from another planet and a man who dresses up as a bat and beats people at night?

But it's cool. I think it's good, there is room for a fun, over the top, colourful superhero franchise and a more drab, mature, and brooding one, because if DC wen for the exact same tone as Marvel they would also be accused of "ripping off".

Also Arrow is an amazing TV show, and Flash looks promising, hopefully they can both be in the Justice League.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
Hm. I was sort of hoping a god damn Amazonian warrior-superheroine would have some at least some muscle definition to speak of. The outfit's not too bad, a little too brown, but I was expecting something along those lines given Man of Steel.

Ratty

Jan 21, 2014
I still wish they'd have gone with an actress who had some muscle. One of the less bizarre casting choices attached to this project though. I probably won't see it until someone loans me the DVD or something years after it comes out so whatever.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
To anyone complaining that they gave her high heels.

Many incarnations of Wonder Woman's costume have had high heels.
In fact, she had them in her very first story in Sensation Comics #1.
I don't know why William Moulton Marston and Harry Peter included them into her design. Maybe to fit in with the bondage themes Marston liked to use, combining high heels and the whip for some kind of dominatrix-like effect or something. Still doesn't make a lot of sense for someone who mainly fights hand to hand to wear high heels, but there is definitely a precedent for them.

Whether or not it is sexist or otherwise not ok is another question, but let's not pretend they have never been part of her outfit.

madwarper

Mar 17, 2011
Wait... Why is Xena standing in between Superman and Batman? And, where is her chakram?