SDCC 2014: Dawn of Justice's Wonder Woman Revealed

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
Ok, the armour design itself isnt that bad. Treaks i would make would be to have maybe shoulder straps on the cuirass, make the gladiator skirt longer, give her flat boots rather than high heels and GIVE IT SOME FUCKING COLOUR!

However i do think the design is good, i still dont see Wonder Woman when i look at the actress, she doesnt have any presence nor the physic at all. Seriously WW should look like she could crush you with her thighs and be able to have atleast a decent chance against Thor in an arm wrestling competition.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
"Where's the color?"
"DC hates color!"
"Why is this movie so drab?"

Really? I mean, really?

It's a standard character promo poster. It's part of a series of posters featuring the main characters from the film; each featuring it's own color tone. These are almost never indicative of the final look of the film.

Do the Marvel fanboys complain when Marvel does the same thing?

I doubt it, unless you want to argue that the above posters were indicative of the final look of The Avengers, Captain America, etc.

Anyway, as to the look:
I like the design, so far. It's "new-age-y" while retaining the "classic" look of the original character.[footnote]Whether that's a good thing or a bad thing is up to each person.[/footnote] Not sure about the actual actress portraying the role but I'm not convinced she's unfit to do it either. Will have to wait for the film to find out.

Meinos Kaen

Jun 17, 2009
... Jesus, this is so bleak. So god damn bleak. Wonder Woman is bleak. Superman is bleak. Batman is even bleaker than before, if possible. This movie looks like it will be anything but fun... And DC still can't get why Marvel Movies make double their own ones? It's because they're fun. The Avengers, Iron Man, the Guardians too, I bet, they're all fun to watch. Man of Steel was maybe gigantic according to some people, dramatic, but it sure as hell wasn't fun. Batman is the only one who's allowed not to be, because that's what Batman is. Enjoy playing catch-up forever, DC:

P.S.: Also, way too skinny. She's got the look on her face right, but she's not built enough to pass off as a convincing WW. Especially not after seeing the animated movie -oh god, that version of WW is awesome-.

Edit: @Vigomortis problem is, we got Man of Steel as convincing proof that yeah, what we see there is what we're going to get.

Coreless

Aug 19, 2011
HELL YES, exactly what I was hoping from Wonder Woman... I am definitely getting more and more excited about this movie the further we go.

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
Found a hi-res version of Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman.

http://wac.450f.edgecastcdn.net/80450F/comicsalliance.com/files/2014/07/y74HKHY.jpg

Original source: http://comicsalliance.com/wonder-woman-looks-like-wonder-woman-first-image-from-batman-v-superman-dawn-of-justice/

As everyone else has pointed out, the color pallet for this image makes it difficult to tell if the costume is color accurate. The corset looks more bronze than red and I can't tell if she's sporting a blue skirt or a black one. The only thing I can clearly see is that the magic lasso is now silver instead of gold. Is Zack Snyder allergic to an actual color scheme or does he still think that everything he makes has to jerk off to the Call of Duty definition of "maturity"?

The design is hit or miss in some areas. Really don't care for the tiara, short skirt, and high heels to be honest. The corset, belt, longer boots, and wrist gauntlets, however, look pretty good. Overall, its good bit very underwhelming IMO.

There was news of a teaser trailer being shown at the panel. Got a description of it posted below via Superherohype.com. If anyone scores the real deal, please post it on the thread.

?Batman is standing on a Gotham rooftop in the rain. His costume isn?t what we?ve seen already. It?s big and bulky, like his armor in The Dark Knight Returns. His eyes light up, solid white. He?s moving a tarp, revealing the bat signal He turns it on and the camera tracks up to the sky. Superman is there, hovering in the light, and he doesn?t look happy. His eyes light up with heat vision as he glares at Batman.?
Original source: http://www.superherohype.com/news/310545-comic-con-description-of-batman-v-superman-dawn-of-justice-teaser-plus-wonder-woman-revealed

Based from the description, it looks like they're borrowing further elements from Frank Miller's Dark Knight Returns aside from the beefy Ben Affleck and his Miller-inspired Bat costume. We may be looking at the slug-fest of the 80s brought to life on the big screen.

Guess its too early into production to get anymore details on this movie. I'd really like to be more positive about this but, much like all the news regarding Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice, its either underwhelming official reports or very irritating rumors.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
I hope this is just her 'pre-world of man' costume...

Because, seriously?
That looks as generic as you can get without going into the parody level.

Adamantium93

Jun 9, 2010
Chimpzy said:
To anyone complaining that they gave her high heels.

Many incarnations of Wonder Woman's costume have had high heels.
That doesn't make it a good idea. Wonder Woman was originally the Justice League's secretary but I doubt many people would get behind that.

endtherapture said:
Who cares about high-heels breaking "realism" when you are watching a film about an orphaned alien from another planet and a man who dresses up as a bat and beats people at night?
The whole "why do you care about realism..." argument is something that grinds my gears. There is a certain level of acceptable implausibility allowed by the rules of the IP and by good ol' suspension of disbelief. Even past what is strictly plausible, there is a bit of wiggle room where the artist can create something that makes no sense upon investigation, but which is never investigated because its just too cool.

However, if one goes too far into that wiggle room, they create something that makes no sense in neither the universe of the IP nor in the real world and which so egregiously infringes upon those rules that suspension of disbelief fails. Hence one can indeed argue about "realism" insofar as it pertains to the established rules of the fictional universe.

Its implausible (in the real world) that she would be stunningly beautiful and super strong, invincible, an amazonian princess/demigod, etc. but we don't care because that's how it works in the world of DC comics. It is also unlikely (in the rules of the IP) that she and her allies could go through hundreds of battles without showing any scars or bruises, but we ignore it because "Rule of Cool" overrides it.

However, the fact that a warrior woman who often fights people of equal power to herself is also bone thin without a lick of muscle is not plausible either in the world of the IP or in the real world. Same goes for fighting in high heels. You simply cannot maneuver quickly enough or gain enough leverage when you have to worry about landing the heels just right.

endtherapture

Nov 14, 2011
spartandude said:
Ok, the armour design itself isnt that bad. Treaks i would make would be to have maybe shoulder straps on the cuirass, make the gladiator skirt longer, give her flat boots rather than high heels and GIVE IT SOME FUCKING COLOUR!

However i do think the design is good, i still dont see Wonder Woman when i look at the actress, she doesnt have any presence nor the physic at all. Seriously WW should look like she could crush you with her thighs and be able to have atleast a decent chance against Thor in an arm wrestling competition.
A-fucking-men.

Finally some reason in this thread. Thank you for this post. The posters are always heavily stylised, washed out or saturated and not indicative of the final look of the film.

This goes for every film and not just superhero films.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Better than expected, but worse than I had hoped.

I was kind of expecting Gal Godot to bulk up for her role as Wonder Woman, but apparently not. She looks like she could be blown over by a slight breeze. Her costume looks somewhat similar to the Regime skin for Wonder Woman in the Injustice games, which I prefer to the basic skin, or the New 52 look, but come on, she could have done with just a little more armour.

EDIT: WHY IS IS BROWN?! IT IS ALL BROWN! I get that the suit is made of metal, and the armour looks somewhat like it is made of bronze, but Wonder Woman is traditionally one of the more colourful superheroes, and this is the complete opposite. It would be like making Batman multicoloured.

EDIT 2: That sword looks more like a sparring sword as opposed to something that is meant to be used in a real fight. It just looks too blunt.

Exterminas

Sep 22, 2009
Huh. Costume is too brown. The woman looks to weak and puny.

Sure, you can strap her in a wire-suit and make her do the CGI-Combat-Routine, but really, that would end up looking silly.

I really feel sorry for the guys at DC who have to make this awful wreck. They are being forced to jump the bandwagon way, way too late.

endtherapture

Nov 14, 2011
Adamantium93 said:
However, the fact that a warrior woman who often fights people of equal power to herself is also bone thin without a lick of muscle is not plausible either in the world of the IP or in the real world. Same goes for fighting in high heels. You simply cannot maneuver quickly enough or gain enough leverage when you have to worry about landing the heels just right.
The heels aren't even heels, they are wedges, giving more surface area.

Anyway, Wonder Woman has super strength and can fly, why do you need to worry about fighting in high heels when you can just levitate?

Buckshaft

Jan 12, 2014
I think it's not bad, but seriously... are these costumes being designed by CliffyB?

endtherapture said:
I think it's cool. Of course this site is Marvel fan boy central and everything about this film is reviled in accordance with what MovieBob tells you guys to think.
You, my friend, speak some sense. I pray that the rain of hatemail be short and weak.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
Brownder Woman looks like a discount Xena cosplayer. And is she wearing heels? I guess they could count as a weapon of sorts...

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Eh. It's not horrible. What concerns me more than the look is...well, almost everything else.

Batman could be wearing a clown suit, Superman a thing, and Wonder Woman a flapper getup and it'd be cool so long as the it was well-written and well-acted. But since those are up in the air, I suppose it's a good thing they have decent costumes.

Silentpony said:
Completely underwhelming. She looks like a background character from Xena: Warrior Princess. And before you say 'great!' just know I like my Wonder Woman to have more self-respect than that.
Seriously with a skirt that short(if that even qualifies as a skirt) everyone is going to looking for the Wonder Woman cheese-shot during the movie.
Are you kidding? There'll be a cheese shot drinking game and mass hospitalisations.

endtherapture said:
because if DC wen for the exact same tone as Marvel they would also be accused of "ripping off".
I'd take a Marvel ripoff over the apparent direction here any day.

Arqus_Zed

Aug 12, 2009
Oh hey, I didn't realize Zack Snyder was involved with a new 300 movie.

What's that? Wonder Woman, you say? What are you on about?

http://images.cinemas-online.co.uk/0/4/82/300ROAE-FP-0005-2050.jpghttp://cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/774/774461.png

(I actually wanted a picture with Athens burning in the background, to get matching "ashes and fire" effect, but I was too lazy.)

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I gonna copy and paste my comment I had typed in the off topic forum-

Just when I thought I've seen a good real life Wonder Woman image today-

All I can say is that is an upcoming rule 34 Wonder Woman

While I do like the design but did they really have to give it such a dull colour with brown/ bronze? (I'm really hoping it's just the lighting.)

Ok it make sense if they want to disregard the star and stripes part of her origin (an American pliot crash on their island and told them about WW2 and they join the fray and the colours were a tribute to that pliot I think?).

Could they just went with the upcoming The Flash route by just making the red white and blue really dark looking (which I guess has also apply to Man of Steel now I think about it)?

V4Viewtiful

Feb 12, 2014
The boots (the heels I mean) are dumb and the colour pallet is o so typical but overall I like it.