Second Photo of Rumored PS4 Controller Emerges

klaynexas3

My shoes hurt
Dec 30, 2009
worldfest said:
[HEADING=1] fear of risk[/HEADING]

Sony is now an Analog competitor in a Digital world. This industry is suffocating behind the fear of risk. "Safety" is not how you grow a business; it's how you survive. And the Sony Playstation has been surviving for years instead of leading it's competitors.

[HEADING=2]1994 PS Controller. 19 Years. Let that sink in.[/HEADING]
This is an Innovation Economy. Consumers need to realize this: you should not be loyal to any console, any publisher, or series. You should be loyal to excellence, ambition and innovation. It's why we didn't like the PSMove, because it was a copy of hardware developed way back when in 2006 (Wii). We can't keep letting these juggernauts -- that is, Nintendo, Microsoft & Sony -- be content with normality!

I'm very close to giving up on this Visceral Medium as gaming has become very ordinary and mundane. Why? Not enough competition. Nintendo, Microsoft & Sony are stymieing console innovation.

[HEADING=2]Why So Much Change?[/HEADING]
Mobile Gaming is the Future Cell phones have undergone so much innovation within the last ten years: 9 button press; and then a qwerty keyboard; and then a resistance touch display; and now we're at full HD: Retina capacity screens. Why? Because of all of the competition. But now that the phone competition has been narrowed down, we've seen the innovation halt dramatically. All of the iPhones look exactly the same! and people go crazy for them.

[HEADING=2]Admit it, You Gamers are the new iPhone-crazed fans.[/HEADING]
You're so used to this technology acting exactly like x & y. You've grown comfortable with the looks and the feel of how a game should be, and you don't want to change. Then you celebrate a new (boring) console with your $. But that's human nature.
That's a lot like saying that books are stagnate because they still use paper and ink on them. It's not the book itself, its the contents.

I don't care as much about the consoles themselves. I'm in it for the games. The games are the part of the industry that people really care about, which is why, say, the Vita isn't doing well, or why people were so weary of upgrading to the 3DS on release. We do get hyped about consoles, yes, but only because it means a slew of new games, and much more functionality for the games and newer ways for the games to play out(gameplay wise). While I do find that the WiiU has the coolest in terms of the actual consoles of the new generation, I find it pointless to get because the games, the whole reason why I'd get it, are hardly new and innovative themselves and hardly even use the gamepad themselves, or at least to its full potential. I'm not saying that of all games, but for the most part, the developers don't seem to know what to do with it.

I couldn't play the different games that my PS3 can play on my PS2, and so I rejoice at the thought of playing games that will be able to play differently than that of those on my PS3.

OT: This controller is ugly even without the touch screen, but with it I can't help but laugh at it. Hopefully by the 20th we'll get something else, hell, I'll be fine with the old one just the same if you ask me. Or something new, it'd be nice to see something that we haven't seen yet. Just not more touch screen stuff.

Mojo

Jun 2, 2011
Baneat said:
Mojo said:
That image is clearly fake.
Everyone knows this is the real deal:

If you made that, nice job. If you found it good find.
I found it here [http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=47728857&postcount=1191]
Should have given credit in that post, gonna edit now.

lostlevel

Nov 6, 2008
crepesack said:
Looks better than all the previous ps controls imo. The stick to button transition looks a lot more comfortable and natural. This is coming from an ardent fan of the 360 controller design.
I agree, I used to be an avid Playstation fan but my favourite controller was the Gamecube one in the previous gen and the Xbox controller this gen. My main problem with the Ps3 controller was the new triggers and the fact it felt small and not at all ergonomic. It wasn't really a problem until I got used to nice controllers post-PlayStation.
worldfest said:
MikeWehner said:
worldfest said:
The original dual shock wasn't available until 1997. Just FYI. Before that it had no analog sticks or rumble.
Model SCPH-1010 was released with the Sony Playstation in 1994. You're right, it had none of those capacities that you listed. I'm pointing toward the problem of innovation.

You see, the argument you made is one an iPhone fan would have for the 1st Generation compared to this 6th G coming out. I'm saying that we have not had major steps toward innovation because we have had such a shortage of competition in the industry. Only three juggernauts have competed against each other; and that's all that they're doing -- its just enough to edge one over the other, or stay safe in the profit margin.

I'm so disappointed.

The Cellphone industry should be light years ahead of what it is right now. Everyone's giddy over Operating Systems that add just a touch more response, or making widgets more colorful. Really? That's why I'm upgrading my phone? (I haven't upgraded my phone in 3 years; that's right, I've still got the Galaxy S.)
Competition in the cellphone industry, like the console wars, are so indistinguishable that it's uninspiring. Those console wars of 2007-08 look ridiculous now as the tech each console emerges with in this upcoming generation will be virtually the same. And now even Nintendo has taken a step back. They've gone back to hand-held pads.

I won't spend another $400 and six years with virtually the same controller. I can't celebrate an industry that refuses to adapt, that only wants to survive.

I believe that the future is in tablets.
If your happy with your current console then don't upgrade or buy a different one. Maybe tablets are the mass market future but it is very hard to play anything fast and skillfully on them (for example Tetris). It's a bit like iPad owners typing a touch screen - you'll never get any real work done because when you want to type fast and well you need something real, tangible beyond haptics. So ergonomic keyboards keep selling.

I think similarly maybe serious gamers may prefer a controller over an often laggy interface, so perhaps Sony air towards caution because not everyone likes Move or the now ancient EyeToy.

I can see why your frustrated but think their still going to keep motion control accessories for a while but the controller is simply what most games are best played on for the moment.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
It's almost like Sony is admitting they can't actually innovate so they just try to copy the people that do. What the HELL could they actually do with that touch pad?

Burst6

Mar 16, 2009
Aiddon said:
It's almost like Sony is admitting they can't actually innovate so they just try to copy the people that do. What the HELL could they actually do with that touch pad?
Just what do people expect from a controller? It's a controller. All it needs to do is provide buttons and be comfortable. I don't like the motion controls (which are pretty much a gimmick at this point), but the touch pad could be used for extra buttons. The headphone jack is a nice feature too.

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
Eh, looks good enough. I'm just concerned about the L2/R2 buttons. Hate them sooo much on the PS3 controller.

Jfswift

Hmm.. what's this button do?
Nov 2, 2009
SonOfVoorhees said:
The extra grip is great, i like that. But the little touch screen is even more small and pointless than in the other image. It looks about big enough to show your life left or scores. But useless for actual touch screen gaming.

Hope this fad dies. Even the WiiU isnt using it properly in multiplayer as only one remote is useable. Hat the fact companies are adding stuff just because.....no reason, just because others have used it.
yea, I can't see much use for that little screen. The last time I actually found that feature useful was with the life gauge while playing resident evil: code veronica on Dreamcast.

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
SonOfVoorhees said:
The extra grip is great, i like that. But the little touch screen is even more small and pointless than in the other image. It looks about big enough to show your life left or scores. But useless for actual touch screen gaming.

Hope this fad dies. Even the WiiU isnt using it properly in multiplayer as only one remote is useable. Hat the fact companies are adding stuff just because.....no reason, just because others have used it.
To be fair, with that, I kind of like the idea of something holding various important bars.

We can get some first person games with a nice, unobstructed HUD. Or maybe use HUD space more creatively.

Any interactive touchscreen elements can die in a fire, though.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
also, THIS recently turned up:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/02/15/sony-patents-tablet-controller-called-eyepad

There is no way for me to properly facepalm this

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
Where is everyone getting this idea that the touchpads are LCD touchscreens?? Most of the sources identified them as VITA-type touchpads.

Not Lord Atkin

I'm dead inside.
Oct 25, 2008
you know what, I like it! Sure, all the touchpad/motion control gimmickery is stupid, BUT it looks a bit more robust and comfortable to hold this time around. and the concave analog sticks are a step forward.

Either way, let's wait for the actual announcement before we start throwing our feces around and screaming murder because the controller is sightly different to what we're used to, shall we? Because from what I've seen, that's what a vast majority of the internet is doing right now.

Adon Cabre

Jun 14, 2012
klaynexas3 said:
worldfest said:
That's a lot like saying that books are stagnate because they still use paper and ink on them. It's not the book itself, its the contents.

I don't care as much about the consoles themselves. I'm in it for the games. The games are the part of the industry that people really care about, which is why, say, the Vita isn't doing well, or why people were so weary of upgrading to the 3DS on release. We do get hyped about consoles, yes, but only because it means a slew of new games, and much more functionality for the games and newer ways for the games to play out(gameplay wise). While I do find that the WiiU has the coolest in terms of the actual consoles of the new generation, I find it pointless to get because the games, the whole reason why I'd get it, are hardly new and innovative themselves and hardly even use the gamepad themselves, or at least to its full potential. I'm not saying that of all games, but for the most part, the developers don't seem to know what to do with it.

I couldn't play the different games that my PS3 can play on my PS2, and so I rejoice at the thought of playing games that will be able to play differently than that of those on my PS3.

OT: This controller is ugly even without the touch screen, but with it I can't help but laugh at it. Hopefully by the 20th we'll get something else, hell, I'll be fine with the old one just the same if you ask me. Or something new, it'd be nice to see something that we haven't seen yet. Just not more touch screen stuff.
Games are not books in the same way movies aren't table-top fun. They are completely different.

[HEADING=2]This is a Simple Business Model[/HEADING] When you have few corporations handling the same technology, you will get a low quality, low innovation product with large costs.
The PlayStation 3. The Wii U. Both of these products were already outdated when they came out. In fact, Sony has just started making a profit from their PS3. The Wii-U is in serious trouble because of its clunkly/absent software, not to mention the shortage of exclusive games. Nintendo is not playing a think-outside-the-box card anymore, and so I seriously doubt its recovery. I think the Nintendo empire as we knew it will severely diminish in the coming years because of their outdated vision. There was no luck in the success of the Wii. Now their execs will praying for it in the coming years.

Games are apart of the industry, but are not solely married to these consoles. That's why I'm saying that tablets are the future. They are powerful enough to run mid-tier software. You could easily fit the entire Final Fantasy VII game on the Google Nexus, even GoldenEye007. Even Final Fantasy X doesn't seem like a graphical stretch for the Ipad.

But because there are so few industries controlling consoles and cellphones, we'll never get a true breakthrough like the Mozilla Seabird. Why? Because businesses are afraid of risk.

Aaron Sylvester

Jul 1, 2012
Anyone who says "this is boring and not innovative" can feel free to come up with something better and recommend it to Sony. Until then, please STFU. It worked in the 90's and it works today because it does the job and does it extremely well, it is 100% functional.
All attempts to "move on" from gamepad-style controllers have been a giant step backwards (see: Wii, Kinect, Move, etc).

Also it's hilarious when companies dig themselves into deep shit by first inventing new controls, saying "look, amazing potential!" and then fuck-all games coming out that use those controls effectively/intuitively. They forget that controllers should be made for games, not the other way around.

It's the reason why wheels are still round, why keyboards still exist, why monitors/TV's are still rectangular, etc. You don't innovate for the sake of innovation.

It's like inventing a car that runs on liquid gold instead of regular old boring petrol.

Adon Cabre

Jun 14, 2012
lostlevel said:
Snip
crepesack said:
Snip
worldfest said:
MikeWehner said:
Snip
If your happy with your current console then don't upgrade or buy a different one. Maybe tablets are the mass market future but it is very hard to play anything fast and skillfully on them (for example Tetris). It's a bit like iPad owners typing a touch screen - you'll never get any real work done because when you want to type fast and well you need something real, tangible beyond haptics. So ergonomic keyboards keep selling.

I think similarly maybe serious gamers may prefer a controller over an often laggy interface, so perhaps Sony air towards caution because not everyone likes Move or the now ancient EyeToy.

I can see why your frustrated but think their still going to keep motion control accessories for a while but the controller is simply what most games are best played on for the moment.
The PSMove was rehashing tech from 2006(Wii). Add to that the clunky software, and it's just a half-hearted reiteration. I'll get into why this happened later on.

[HEADING=3]Most Gamers Aren't Technologically Ambitious, They Just Want to Stay Comfortable[/HEADING]They don't like scaling back, but they don't care to push forward as far. I mean, graphics turn us on instead of new and more visceral ways for immersion. It's just like people upgrading their phones because of the OS System.
You listed the technical limitations of the Tablets. You're right again. This is a Simple Business Model: When you have few corporations handling the same technology, you will get a low quality, low innovation product with large costs.

The Phone Industry is only dominated by three major corporations: Apple, Samsung and Microsoft. Because they see each other as the only threat, they will only do enough to outperform the other. (I'll leave the console transliteration to you.)

[HEADING=3]Current Market Tablets Could Easily Play Final Fantasy X. Even ICO.[/HEADING]

I mean, the solitude of ICO panders to a Tablet! You don't think even the lag-riden interface could accommodate these? These games aren't interface intensive.
I would encourage you to dream ambitiously with technology.

[h4]As for me, I'm not settling for a "Low Risk, Low Innovative" market to entertain me.[/h4] I'm finished at gawking at hired textured grass, or at a pop-in landscape. There's far more achievable, if people would only risk big to gain big.

Adon Cabre

Jun 14, 2012
Aaron Sylvester said:
Anyone who says "this is boring and not innovative" can feel free to come up with something better and recommend it to Sony. Until then, please shut up. It worked in the 90's and it works today because it does the job and does it extremely well, more importantly all attempts to "move on" from gamepad-style controllers have been a giant step backwards (see: Wii, Kinect, Move, etc).

It's the same reason why wheels are round, why keyboards still exist, why monitors/TV's are rectangular, etc. You don't innovate for the sake of innovation. Ask the guy who tried rectangular wheels.
The PS Move is not innovation. It's a rehashed Idea from 2006 (Wii). The Wii surged in popularity becuase it was different. But how the mighty have fallen, Nintendo. (I'll talk about later.)

[HEADING=3] Sony doesn't care about innovation; they just want to edge Microsoft[/HEADING] Don't fool yourself. This Console War is not about innovation and risk, it's about doing something just a little better than the competition; it's why the Wii U's specs are just a little better than the PS3 and Xbox360. And we've all seen how it's panned out in these recent months -- i.e abysmal sales. And now, tragically, the entire industry is adopting that motif.
My parents still don't care about the PlayStation controller, but how they love their new phone Operating Systems. One is satisfied with what it is, while the other is pushing ahead and trying appease them.

[HEADING=3]Keyboards and Mouse Pads Still Exist in Gaming Because Gamers are Lazy[/HEADING] It's human nature to like what's comfortable, instead of trying something new, something that just might turn the entire industry upside-down. And we punish people with new ideas like DRM. This guarantees that as much $ goes to the publishers and developers as possible. But this needs to happen to keep this industry surviving. You've overrated the gaming community vision-wise.
[h4]I mean, c'mon! Gamers gawk at High Definition Textures, blades of grass and landscapes with scrawling pop-in. This is what we've settled for?[/h4]

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Aaron Sylvester said:
Anyone who says "this is boring and not innovative" can feel free to come up with something better and recommend it to Sony. Until then, please STFU. It worked in the 90's and it works today because it does the job and does it extremely well, it is 100% functional.
All attempts to "move on" from gamepad-style controllers have been a giant step backwards (see: Wii, Kinect, Move, etc).

Also it's hilarious when companies dig themselves into deep shit by first inventing new controls, saying "look, amazing potential!" and then fuck-all games coming out that use those controls effectively/intuitively. They forget that controllers should be made for games, not the other way around.

It's the reason why wheels are still round, why keyboards still exist, why monitors/TV's are still rectangular, etc. You don't innovate for the sake of innovation.

It's like inventing a car that runs on liquid gold instead of regular old boring petrol.
-Wacks upside head- You're missing the problem spectacularly. That touchpad is obviously a sign that they're TRYING to innovate...but it's also obvious that they're ripping off a competitor because Sony can't come up with anything ORIGINAL. And frankly, from what I've seen the reason stuff like the Move and Kinect didn't work is because developers were too lazy and complacent to try something new for a change. Obviously stuff like those could work as was evidenced by whenever Nintendo used the Wii to its full potential, exposing most game makers as creative cowards.

klaynexas3

My shoes hurt
Dec 30, 2009
worldfest said:
klaynexas3 said:
worldfest said:
snip
Games are not books in the same way movies aren't table-top fun. They are completely different.
All I'm saying with that is that the way we get to play the games should not be the top priority, it should be the games.
Books are not games, I know that, but they are both means of artful expression.

worldfest said:
[HEADING=2]This is a Simple Business Model[/HEADING] When you have few corporations handling the same technology, you will get a low quality, low innovation product with large costs.
The PlayStation 3. The Wii U. Both of these products were already outdated when they came out. In fact, Sony has just started making a profit from their PS3. The Wii-U is in serious trouble because of its clunkly/absent software, not to mention the shortage of exclusive games. Nintendo is not playing a think-outside-the-box card anymore, and so I seriously doubt its recovery. I think the Nintendo empire as we knew it will severely diminish in the coming years because of their outdated vision. There was no luck in the success of the Wii. Now their execs will praying for it in the coming years.

Games are apart of the industry, but are not solely married to these consoles. That's why I'm saying that tablets are the future. They are powerful enough to run mid-tier software. You could easily fit the entire Final Fantasy VII game on the Google Nexus, even GoldenEye007. Even Final Fantasy X doesn't seem like a graphical stretch for the Ipad.

But because there are so few industries controlling consoles and cellphones, we'll never get a true breakthrough like the Mozilla Seabird. Why? Because businesses are afraid of risk.
I will admit that we could use some newer ways to play, but as I said before, it shouldn't be our absolute top priority, it should be about the games. And I don't think absolutely that tablets will be the future, they might be apart of it, but I don't see them as being the market head for all things internet, phones, or games. Phones, sure, it seems like that's where the phone market is going, but not for games. Yeah, certain tablets can do certain things graphically speaking that are pretty cool, but none of them could run a game like, say, any Bethesda game. That's just too much to handle. And maybe at some point they could, but for right now the consoles work just fine and they do push the limits to what they can do for the software. The player might not feel that full impact, but the games that the player plays are what's feeling the impact, and so it transfers to the player. Players might not see it, but they wouldn't get the experience that they get without the help of these console creators.

The Lugz

Apr 23, 2011
the whole controller sucks, the finish sucks, the shape sucks, the materials look crappy and cheap, even the buttons and placement of the screen sucks the d-pad looks like it was ripped from a 5 year old camera and why with the holes?
is that a microphone? in an object you tap and rattle and rumble? really? .. really really?

if sony releases that as a finished product i shall simply laugh

however i suspect it is some kind of beta/demo controller

xPixelatedx

Jan 19, 2011
Wow, that looks horrifically uncomfortable.....

It's grips are so fat, like a 360 controller. I can't use 360 controllers for long without cramps in my palms.