Second Sandy Hook Shooter Ceasefire Planned For Dec 21st

Drummodino

Can't Stop the Bop
Jan 2, 2011
Yes, lets stop shooting virtual guns in response to a real life massacre.

Why not stop shooting real guns you ask? Oh no that wouldn't make any sense.

Candidus

Dec 17, 2009
I think I'll go ahead and play whatever I like because I think symbolic virtual gestures like this are a stupid idea. But some options for those inclined to play along:

RPG: Witcher 2.
Most MMOs: thinking maybe TERA or FFXIVARR.
TBS/RTS: Shogun 2.
FPS: Dark Messiah of Might and Magic, Dishonored.

Yozozo

In a galaxy far, far away...
Mar 28, 2009
Drummodino said:

Because not everybody actually has access to a real gun of course. And those that do have access to a real gun probably understand that this is silly anyways. This was the doings of a real life disturbed person who used a tool irresponsibly to murder people.

I'm not advocating guns for all, I'm just saying, he could have done so much more damage in a high pedestrian area with a vehicle, and there are WAY more people licensed to use those. Put blame where it belongs, on the MURDERER.

No, don't even do that. It only encourages more nut-jobs to do the same kind of thing. As awful as what happened is, more attention and media coverage over it is NOT what is needed. Saying, "it was a crazed psycho" and never even mentioning the murderers name would be the even better thing, but too bad the news loves plastering their names all over.

Dark Knifer

May 12, 2009
I'd be a bit upset if my child was killed by a crazed kid with a gun then everyone just wants to say video games did everything.

No, I'd rather blame the fucking murderer who pulled the trigger thanks.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
You know what I'll do? Toss in GTA V, drive while observing rules of the road, impose a speed limit on myself (if I can judge relative speed) and not use any weapons. Go sight seeing, take selfies of my day of non-violence in a violent sandbox and prove that I can still have fun without wanton destruction and violence... Of course if I off-road on my ATV and happen to get hurt, well thats my fault. Maybe go base jumping too... Golf a few rounds, play some tennis. Actually that sounds like fun... I would do that anyway whether or not its a cease fire day.
Proving that one can choose note to be a psychopath in GTA is a hard thing to do, I welcome the challenge.
Oh and I'm serious, totally serious. No sarcasm, no facetiousness here. I want to do this.

The_Echo

Mar 18, 2009
Karloff said:
GamerFitNation's organizing another shooter cease fire [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/121157-Call-Goes-Out-For-Shooter-Cease-Fire], in memory of Sandy Hook.
So, what about every other school shooting [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/School_shooting]?

Why just Sandy Hook?

And why is it only video games? Why not the many books, TV series and films which use guns? Or music which references them in the lyrics?
"It's about us as gamers coming together to do something positive," says Pearman. "I'm not worried or concerned. I feel like we should just do something because it's right, not because it's politically-correct."
But... it's neither. Would it be wrong of me to play a game with guns on December 21st? Would I be morally reprehensible for doing so? Would it offend anyone?

I doubt it. Any of that could only be true solely because this ceasefire has been established.

All this does is perpetuate incorrect correlations and milk the latest tragedy. I will not be participating.

chikusho

Jun 14, 2011
*raising my glas*

This is to the noble heroes who choose to valiantly sacrifice an unrelated source of entertainment for a single day.

I mean, jesus christ, if you can gather the attention of 3000 people, get together and protest or something. Gather a collection to the victims families. Show off the gaming community as a source of good, don't make the implication that not playing shooters is actually doing good.

Yozozo

In a galaxy far, far away...
Mar 28, 2009
chikusho said:
*raising my glas*

This is to the noble heroes who choose to valiantly sacrifice an unrelated source of entertainment for a single day.

I mean, jesus christ, if you can gather the attention of 3000 people, get together and protest or something. Gather a collection to the victims families. Show off the gaming community as a source of good, don't make the implication that not playing shooters is actually doing good.
Precisely, sacrificing an unrelated source of entertainment for a day does NOT make anybody a hero, or noble. What it makes them is lazy. NOT doing something to "show support" is at the height of facebook lazy "click thumbs up if don't hate bunnies!" type stupidity. THIS is why people ignore online petitions. It takes so little effort, it doesn't demonstrate or mean anything.

Unsilenced

Oct 19, 2009
What? I... what? What does this accomplish? Is Sandy Hook something people need to raise awareness about? Is there any symbolic link between shooters and Sandy Hook? Why not fast or something equally unrelated? Unless, of course, you think violent videogames had something to do with the shooting. Which is what this is implying in every way possible.

If you want a day to not play shooters on, do September 21st, which is the UN's ceasefire day. The idea is to give humanitarian aid workers safer access to war zones. It would make sense then not to play online shooters for that day. Or, if you're brave, try to convince people playing to peacefully resolve matches. It wouldn't really do or change anything, but I think it would be a cool symbolic gesture.

BoredRolePlayer

Nov 9, 2010
So if we want to make change we should stop playing games for a day that has shooting? This sounds as stupid people who did the "We will not buy left4dead2" online group and still bought it.

ForumSafari

Sep 25, 2012
Even by the impressively low standards set by white people protests this is a stupidly ineffectual idea.

Frost27

Good news everyone!
Jun 3, 2011
This is just more Progressive Leftist bleating. Completely idiotic. Adam Lanza took a day off from playing shooters and that is what started this crap.

"It's about us as gamers coming together to do something positive," says Pearman.
By not playing shooters, directly implying that playing shooters is doing something negative.

Drummodino said:

You're right. It wouldn't.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Sgt. Sykes said:
Please post your best ideas about what to play instead of 'violent' shooters for that day.

I'm thinking Carmageddon.
Well, I have Saints Row 4 now. Maybe I'll see how much carnage I can cause with nothing but fists and fireballs.

snekadid said:
This..... is...... repulsive. Yes, stupid people like to link real life violence to video game violence where no actual connection exists, but you DON'T HAVE TO VALIDATE THEM!
Playing into the hands of fundamentalists and extremists is what we do in this country. I'm surprised the games industry didn't make another completely voluntary compromise to no good end.

Personally, I'm thinking a mandatory waiting period for M rated video games. And it has to be longer than that for firearms, because, well, let's be reasonable eh?

amaranth_dru said:
You know what I'll do? Toss in GTA V, drive while observing rules of the road, impose a speed limit on myself (if I can judge relative speed) and not use any weapons. Go sight seeing, take selfies of my day of non-violence in a violent sandbox and prove that I can still have fun without wanton destruction and violence... Of course if I off-road on my ATV and happen to get hurt, well thats my fault. Maybe go base jumping too... Golf a few rounds, play some tennis. Actually that sounds like fun... I would do that anyway whether or not its a cease fire day.
Proving that one can choose note to be a psychopath in GTA is a hard thing to do, I welcome the challenge.
Oh and I'm serious, totally serious. No sarcasm, no facetiousness here. I want to do this.
I do this fairly routinely. Los Santos has a lot of fun that doesn't require killing. Parachuting and off-roading. I know it's a violent murder training program or whatever, but I always appreciate just how much I can do in it without ever pulling out a gun.

Not that I do it all the time, mind. It's also fun to shoot up things.

But, of course, it's still a game.

The_Echo said:
Would it be wrong of me to play a game with guns on December 21st? Would I be morally reprehensible for doing so? Would it offend anyone?
I know people from the area whose first response was to go out and buy guns when it happened. but clearly, playing a shooter on that day would be over the line.

chikusho said:
Please be taking the piss....

But that's the thing. Protesting is doing something. Gathering people is doing something. Not playing a game is quite literally doing nothing. People aren't heroic for doing nothing. There's no demonstration of positivity here. It's an ultimately lazy and thoughtless symbol. Will this become the gaming equivalent of putting a yellow ribbon on your car? Do we really need empty gestures?

Xukog

May 21, 2011
So anyone got reccomendations for a decent shooter to rent? I don't normally like most shooters,but this makes me want to play one...

Infernal Lawyer

Jan 28, 2013
If this is all about pandering to the conservatives, then I guess I'll be getting out my copy of The Binding of Isaac. What? No guns!

Seriously, this entire thing is just plain... stupid. Not only are video games a completely unrelated topic... Who the hell actually thinks that they're doing something noble by not playing a particular genre for one day? Oh right, it's because not playing a certain game is easier than getting off your ass and actually doing something. Pointless and stupid.

At best this 'event' achieves nothing, at worst it validates the idiots who actually think that the blame lies with the games, that this is some sort of global act of going a day without our 'fix'.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Ok, lets see.

Grim Dawn, Deadpool, yada, yada, where the hell did I put all my FPS's...

OHH! POSTAL 2!

Must remember, on the 21/22 of Dec play POSTAL 2 and remain thankful that my country has some half-decent gun laws and isn't insane.

Cid Silverwing

Paladin of The Light
Jul 27, 2008
idarkphoenixi said:
All this does is further the myth that "violent" games had anything to do with this tragedy.
This, so fucking much.

When are we going to criminalize this anti-gaming attitude? Seriously.

DerangedHobo

Jan 11, 2012
OH SHIT, YOU MEAN THOSE PEOPLE WHO LIKE, LOST THEIR LIVES TO UNJUSTIFIED VIOLENCE!?
HOW HORRI- no wait, that's been happening for the entirety of human existence. Fucking bleeding heart liberals.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Lets see. 21st is 3 days after i have to turn in my masters paper. factoring work in i will definitely be playing X3: Reunion on that day. I am currently running a peaceful industrial tycoon run (or, rather, starting. Only 5 ships so far). So i wouldnt be shooting anything either way on that day.
That being said, i may just fire Wordl of Tanks up that day just to do the opposite.