Second Trailer For Marvel's Ant-Man Released

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
It's hilarious seeing everyone talk about the same thing. How this trailer is a turnaround for what we want to see.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
"Imagine a soldier the size of an insect."

"Now, imagine how many of those soldiers an ordinary tank could crush in ten seconds."

"Ha, ha ha ha. Now that we've all had a good laugh, what I'm really here to show you is..."

I like Paul Rudd. I hope it's a good movie. But it's going to have to walk a fine line in honoring and mocking its central premise, and I'm definitely going to need to read some reviews before I'm confident it can do that.

DrOswald

Apr 22, 2011
It looks like they are really thinking about the interesting and fun action you could have with a shrinking super hero. That was always going to be the make or break of this movie, and it looks like they are going to hit it right on the head.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Ok so, Ant Man's main thing is that he gets even stronger than a normal person when he's small? Or he still just maintains his normal strength when small? Which is it?

And in the comics, what was he usually fighting? Because I'm honestly having a lot of trouble figuring out what threat he would be called in for, when you've got all the other people in the MU to call on. What was his usual schtick? Like how Daredevil's thing is Hell's Kitchen and crime. Batman was Gotham and crime, etc. What was his thing?

ArcaneGamer

Dec 21, 2014
McElroy said:
I just can't buy Crap Bag being a superhero, even a small one.

The Antsuit doesn't register Newton's Third Law, does it?
That's part of the wonderful thing about comics. If you explain it or show it in a way that makes sense in context to the world itself, (or at the very least is believable) then you can pretty much get away with it. I'm looking forward to this.

DrOswald

Apr 22, 2011
templar1138a said:
I still don't really understand the appeal of this superhero. But at least this trailer showed off a few more instances of Whedon.

Unfortunately, I'm wondering if this is all we get in terms of hilarious moments. I mean, when Iron Man came out, its trailers had already shown off the best moments of Tony Stark dialogue. The fight scenes were still cool, but the experience had been watered down by the audience already knowing all the jokes.
The appeal of ant man is three fold:

1. Unique and interesting power set. The specific rules of Ant-Mans shrinking/growing powers require a unique and creative approach to action, and allows for unique and interesting set pieces that would otherwise be impossible. Ant man doesn't just slug it out like batman or captain america.

2. Ant Man is a team act, at least the incarnation they are going for in this movie. Two different people with very different world views and experiences that both need each other to make this super hero thing work. It is a super hero team contained within a single hero. You don't have to split the action spotlight like in X-Men or the Avengers, but you get the character moments of the team interaction dynamic.

3. Ant Man has historically been one of the more interesting heroes in terms of character. That, of course, cannot be easily communicated in a couple of sentences, you can look it up if you are interested.

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
McElroy said:
I just can't buy Crap Bag being a superhero, even a small one.

The Antsuit doesn't register Newton's Third Law, does it?
Dude, this is Marvel we are talking about
There are no laws of physics that can't be broken if when plot demands it

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
Happyninja42 said:
Ok so, Ant Man's main thing is that he gets even stronger than a normal person when he's small? Or he still just maintains his normal strength when small? Which is it?

And in the comics, what was he usually fighting? Because I'm honestly having a lot of trouble figuring out what threat he would be called in for, when you've got all the other people in the MU to call on. What was his usual schtick? Like how Daredevil's thing is Hell's Kitchen and crime. Batman was Gotham and crime, etc. What was his thing?
Fighting termite infestations?
Or a more serious guess- espionage and infiltration?

Knight Captain Kerr

May 27, 2011
It might end up being good but honestly the only reason I was ever looking forward to Ant-Man was because of Edgar Wright and then Marvel got rid of him. Still as I said, might be good and I'll probably end up seeing it.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Lightknight said:
Well damn, I may actually enjoy this movie... didn't see that coming.

I guess I could trust Marvel to make a good movie out of anything at this point. Not sequels, but most anything else.
Ya, I'm surprised too. I really wasn't expecting much after the teaser trailer, but damn, this actually has me kind of excited.

The only thing that kind of worries me is that it seems like the main character's personality is just going to be another variation of the wise cracking, somewhat bad-boy, character that is fairly prevalent in these movies already. Just seems like he might be a more mopey version of Starlord or Stark. I guess it's hard to tell from just a trailer though.

Ignatz_Zwakh

Sep 3, 2010
Ehhhhh, getting warmer I suppose. That first trailer had me writing the whole flick off. This one? Well, looks like potentially good cheapie-Tuesday material. Dig all the ant action.

Absimilliard

Only you can read this.
Nov 4, 2009
To judge by the comments here, this seems like exactly what the film needed in terms of publicity. I was already planning to see it, as the MCU have had me on a leash for years, but I'm looking forward to it a lot more now.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
blackrave said:
Happyninja42 said:

Why yah askin' me I'mma askin' you! But seriously, I've never read Antman, so I have zero data on him. His comic was mostly about spying/espionage stuff? Was that his thing?

Dec 16, 2009
esserin said:
Yeeeessssss.

This is the trailer I've been waiting for.
None of that ridiculously serious trailer like the first one was.
I'm guessing Marvel went into this movie assuming a lot of the non geek public would go "Antman?! I just don't get it" (which frustrated me to hear, I'm not particularly an Antman fan, but every superhero had to be "not got" by the masses at some point, even Spidey and Bats).
Set the expectations lower with the first trailer, then Jimmy public gets blind sided by the cool train set fight scene in the second. That's my guess anyway.

Anyhoo, Antman was in the Thor category of wait for DVD/streaming for me. Now its in limbo between that and a cinema release. Not as a excited as Cap 2, Guardians or Ultron, but very intrigued.

I said it elsewhere, why's the baddy got a better suit than the hero?

Jake Martinez

Apr 2, 2010
Honestly I'm still not sold on this movie and I probably won't go and see it.

I think for a super hero movie you need at least one of three things:

1) A cool super power idea or theme.
2) An interesting predicament for the hero to be in.
3) Or alternatively something that goes against type, or subverts a super hero/action movie trope.

Antman just isn't ticking any of those boxes for me.

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
Happyninja42 said:
blackrave said:
Why yah askin' me I'mma askin' you! But seriously, I've never read Antman, so I have zero data on him. His comic was mostly about spying/espionage stuff? Was that his thing?
Sorry, don't know, just gave my best uneducated guess on how his powers could be utilized.

Darth Marsden

Sep 12, 2008
Mr Ink 5000 said:
The baddie's running a company. The good guys... aren't.

(Also it looks like the Ant-Man suit's been around for years, since in the trailer that first shot of a guy getting thrown around - the one right before the lightbulb - is supposedly from a flashback in Cuba, so this could be a case of old tech vs new tech)

Dec 16, 2009
Darth Marsden said:
Mr Ink 5000 said:
The baddie's running a company. The good guys... aren't.

(Also it looks like the Ant-Man suit's been around for years, since in the trailer that first shot of a guy getting thrown around - the one right before the lightbulb - is supposedly from a flashback in Cuba, so this could be a case of old tech vs new tech)
I'm with you on the premise, (and lets be honest, it's a nice reversal on Ironman being cutting edge) but I wish they could have made it look old and cool, rather than looking like a variation of surface diving gear lol

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Mr Ink 5000 said:
esserin said:
Yeeeessssss.

This is the trailer I've been waiting for.
None of that ridiculously serious trailer like the first one was.
I'm guessing Marvel went into this movie assuming a lot of the non geek public would go "Antman?! I just don't get it" (which frustrated me to hear, I'm not particularly an Antman fan, but every superhero had to be "not got" by the masses at some point, even Spidey and Bats).
Set the expectations lower with the first trailer, then Jimmy public gets blind sided by the cool train set fight scene in the second. That's my guess anyway.

Anyhoo, Antman was in the Thor category of wait for DVD/streaming for me. Now its in limbo between that and a cinema release. Not as a excited as Cap 2, Guardians or Ultron, but very intrigued.

Actually I found the trainset thing to be kind of dumb. Ok so these guys are still super strong, super dense, and super durable? Why in the hell would they act like being hit a toy train would bother them at all? The bad guy holds up his hands as the train approaches like "Noooooooo!", but it's freaking plastic, it's not going to hurt him. Same for throwing one of the cars from the train at him, it's not dangerous. So, yeah now I just see this movie as a comedy, with little to no actual drama. I prefer the first trailer.