Security Analyst Explains Why We Love Lulzsec

-Samurai-

Oct 8, 2009
Low Key said:
-Samurai- said:
See, the thing about security is; If people didn't do illegal things and break into places they aren't supposed to be in, to take things that aren't theirs, we wouldn't need security.
You go ahead and tell people who do crimes not to do them anymore and see how that works out.

The world isn't flowers and butterflies. The people who tend to do this sort of stuff are the down and out individuals in third world countries, which, if they can steal your information to buy a product and resell it, means they'll get to eat a decent meal for a week or so or pay rent so they don't have to live in the streets. Same goes for most of the people who commit physical crimes. It is their last option.
And what part of any of that applies to groups like Lulzsec or Anon?

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
Interesting take on this, actually... Lulzsec seem to be basically ad-hoc 'white' hackers, hacking into big databases and informing companies that they're security is flawed so they can fix it.

Oh, also, Lulzsec also recently hacked into the NHS (National Health Service - the British health system) database apparently. Said they "stumbled upon" the admin passwords and stuff, though they didn't steal anything. Just thought I'd point out another example. ;P

Fwee

Sep 23, 2009
zehydra said:
Fwee said:
Patrick Gray was way off on his idea why I'm a fan of Lulzsec, but that's just his guess.
Personally I just like the fact that there's these people out in the information world just wreaking havoc with big companies. How many people get messed with every day by these businesses?
It's almost like the new Robin Hood, except instead of stealing money from the rich and giving to the poor it's just petty revenge and lulz.
I dunno, why don't you tell me how many people get messed with every day by Sony?
I was asking the question, which kind of implies I don't know the answer.
I'm not one of those who asks a question just so they can come up with the prepared answer.

Low Key

May 7, 2009
-Samurai- said:
Low Key said:
-Samurai- said:
See, the thing about security is; If people didn't do illegal things and break into places they aren't supposed to be in, to take things that aren't theirs, we wouldn't need security.
You go ahead and tell people who do crimes not to do them anymore and see how that works out.

The world isn't flowers and butterflies. The people who tend to do this sort of stuff are the down and out individuals in third world countries, which, if they can steal your information to buy a product and resell it, means they'll get to eat a decent meal for a week or so or pay rent so they don't have to live in the streets. Same goes for most of the people who commit physical crimes. It is their last option.
You mean two groups out of the potential tens thousands of malicious hackers out there? Yeah, you better work on another argument.

BoredDragon

Feb 9, 2011
I did a report on cyber security right before the PSN outage. This pisses me off, I could have used LulzSec in my paper :(

Magikarp

Jan 26, 2011
People love them? I hate them. Especially if they put an elephant's trunk in my coffee.

Traun

Jan 31, 2009
Low Key said:
So that's why I am having such a laugh at all of this. I'm in college for IT security. I guess this means I'll have a job open to me when I finish. :)

It sucks to see customers of these business suffer, and I know it doesn't seem like it, but trust me when I say it's for the greater good. Wouldn't you rather know your data is secure rather than trust a company that doesn't even have an operating firewall? I know I would.

Take this with a grain of salt if you must, but there are a few easy ways to protect yourself from hackers even when these companies can't.

Step 1: Always use HTTPS in your browser rather than HTTP. Most sites don't use SSL certificates (which is retarded, sorry Escapist, looking at you), but utilizing the sites that do use them is best.

Step 2: NEVER, I repeat, NEVER use your day to day credit card for online transactions, ever. Go out and get a prepaid credit card if you must purchase something online.

Step 3: I wouldn't trust online banking with my name, let alone my account numbers. Avoid it at all costs. If you must use it, only use it at home (you never know who is running Wireshark over wifi), but don't expect these banks to keep your data safe.

Only YOU can protect YOU. If you think all of these companies give a fuck about anything more than their bottom line, you are delusional.
Dude, awesome post, thanks. Any more tips?
Just out of curiosity, I'm no web developer, what's the difference between HTTPS and HTTP?

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
He gives the public too much credit.
I'm a network security professional by trade; I don't have any particular love for hacker groups, primarily because it introduces more and more legal burden as time goes on.

-Samurai-

Oct 8, 2009
Low Key said:
-Samurai- said:
Low Key said:
-Samurai- said:

You mean two groups out of the potential tens thousands of malicious hackers out there? Yeah, you better work on another argument.
We're not talking about those groups, are we? We're talking about the ones that have a large amount of ignorant supporters. The ones that have a news article about them on this site nearly every day.

You can't justify their actions.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
LoL, security doesn't exist, that is the reference to a security blanket. It feels safe, but it can't protect you from anything.

If someone wants your stuff, they can get it, all that matters is the amount of moral crimes they are willing to commit to get it.

Anyone who thinks you are safe is a ignorant, no matter how many rules or laws exist to keep you that way, you can't stop them if they have the will to make it happen.

He is right though, the smartest thing would be to not put your private information out there. That is the social change that he is surely talking about.

Low Key

May 7, 2009
Traun said:
Low Key said:
So that's why I am having such a laugh at all of this. I'm in college for IT security. I guess this means I'll have a job open to me when I finish. :)

It sucks to see customers of these business suffer, and I know it doesn't seem like it, but trust me when I say it's for the greater good. Wouldn't you rather know your data is secure rather than trust a company that doesn't even have an operating firewall? I know I would.

Take this with a grain of salt if you must, but there are a few easy ways to protect yourself from hackers even when these companies can't.

Step 1: Always use HTTPS in your browser rather than HTTP. Most sites don't use SSL certificates (which is retarded, sorry Escapist, looking at you), but utilizing the sites that do use them is best.

Step 2: NEVER, I repeat, NEVER use your day to day credit card for online transactions, ever. Go out and get a prepaid credit card if you must purchase something online.

Step 3: I wouldn't trust online banking with my name, let alone my account numbers. Avoid it at all costs. If you must use it, only use it at home (you never know who is running Wireshark over wifi), but don't expect these banks to keep your data safe.

Only YOU can protect YOU. If you think all of these companies give a fuck about anything more than their bottom line, you are delusional.
Just out of curiosity, I'm no web developer, what's the difference between HTTPS and HTTP?
HTTPS means that particular site is using SSL (secure socket layer) certificates, just another layer of security.

In laymen terms, it means that the only parties who can see what you are typing in, say for instance on Google, are you and Google. No one else. Essentially, SSL creates an encrypted tunnel between you and the website you are on.

If you are running Firefox, you can install an add-on that automatically uses HTTPS instead of HTTP on sites that have SSL certificates. Here's a link: https://www.eff.org/https-everywhere

Sebenko

Dec 23, 2008
DustyDrB said:
We love LulzSec? No I don't. They can fall in a pit of snakes.
Someone was going to hack these places at some point.

Better someone doing it for a laugh and teaching these companies a lesson than someone out to steal everything you've ever owned and eat your pet puppy.

MetalGenocide

Dec 2, 2009
I wouldn't be surprised if soon news starts spreading, about the "global war on cyber-terrorism", and how most countries in the world will be enforcing legislations, to "protect us" from the dangers of the internet......

...by restricting our access and controlling what we do.

Low Key

May 7, 2009
-Samurai- said:
Low Key said:
-Samurai- said:
Low Key said:
-Samurai- said:

We're not talking about those groups, are we? We're talking about the ones that have a large amount of ignorant supporters. The ones that have a news article about them on this site nearly every day.

You can't justify their actions.
As far as I know, Anonymous has never been in it for personal data nor have the published anything of the sort. I know Sony is saying something different, but their story has changed so many times since this all started. They are just trying to cover their asses so their stock stops plummeting.

LulzSec on the other hand, have published others' personal data, but the majority of their work has been breaking into high profile websites to prove the state of security amongst them is utter shit. While I don't support the theft of personal data, I do in fact support the cracking of websites to send a message that the bottom line of multi-million/billion dollar corporations should include the security of their customers data.

Ultimately, both groups are in better standing with me than say some random hacking group from some random Eastern block nation that does a hit and run on a website purely for profit. Identity theft is the largest crime being committed today. You may not have been affected yet (yet is the keyword), but chances are it WILL happen to you and assure you that neither Anonymous or LulzSec will be behind it when that time comes.

Moon_Called

Mar 21, 2009
puffenstuff said:
Yes Yes Yes. So far Lulzsec has embodied true hacker ethos. They will wreck a company's shit but not to steal or hurt customers.
I think there's some PSN customers who'd disagree with you.

Sabrestar

Apr 13, 2010
*tries to resist*

*tries really hard*

*fails*

Looks like this wasn't a good day to... meet Joe Black.

Traun

Jan 31, 2009
Low Key said:
Traun said:
Low Key said:

HTTPS means that particular site is using SSL (secure socket layer) certificates, just another layer of security.

In laymen terms, it means that the only parties who can see what you are typing in, say for instance on Google, are you and Google. No one else. Essentially, SSL creates an encrypted tunnel between you and the website you are on.

If you are running Firefox, you can install an add-on that automatically uses HTTPS instead of HTTP on sites that have SSL certificates. Here's a link: https://www.eff.org/https-everywhere
Truth be told recent events have made me a little more cautious with my online dealings. Anyway, I'm using Chrome, so that isn't of much help to me, however I did found a similiar extension for Google Chrome - https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/flcpelgcagfhfoegekianiofphddckof . As far as I know it's not as refined as the Firefox one, but at least there is one for users of that browser.

Sep 4, 2009
Sega's dearly missed console division.

Rise from your grave!

When Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft killed their division off they made the mistake of dumping their dreams on an ancient burial ground of ET games.

BONUS SPOILER: LULZSEC SECRET PLAN

[youtube]ypGxYM3MHqY[/youtube]

They're basically going to play Altered Beast with the world. If you think things are bad now, wait til they turn into furries and still bitchslap lax computer security around.

danhere

Apr 5, 2010
Joe Black of Black & Berg Cybersecurity Consulting had this to say about LulzSec via Twitter: ?Black & Berg Cybersecurity Consulting appreciate all the hard work that you're putting in. Your Hacking = Clients for us. Thx.?

In an emailed statement to IBTimes, Black said: ?What can I say? We're good, they're better.?
Underlined for emphasis.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you prove yourself to be inferior to the hackers, why would anyone want to be your client?

Source: http://m.ibtimes.com/lulzsec-hacking-competition-black-berg-cybersecurity-159446.html

cerebus23

May 16, 2010
Well of course security firms are going to love this stuff, sony hired 3 or 4 just to investigate the break ins, add to that the paranoia when all these splinter groups start going after anything they deem worthy of time and effort.

The more groups like this spring up no matter if they are hacking for the lulz or for some greater cause or are out to ruin peoples lives and or bring down corporations, it really does not matter all that much in the grand scheme. More groups attacking more things means that everyone has to sit up get there house in order before they get hacked.

Things were pretty boring with anon for the longest time, they had a fairly focused agenda, they had things they would and would not do, no doubt some of those things were out and out illegal, but they never crossed that line and went after personal customer info unless it was to make a point.

Then the sony thing happened and it is like pandora's box opened. Sony was blaming anon, anon is saying they didnt do it, then anon breaks out in civil war, now anon is many, now all sorts of stuff hits the fan.

So yea if these groups did not exist IT security pros would be obsolete, even if all this stuff chilled at the ebay and google anon levels most everything would be pretty calm, so this current climate means there is ton of ton of money to be made now and in the years to come.

The future will make now days seem like the wild west, i am sure many governments will have much tighter control under the watchful eye of the mpaa, and the music industry, and we will see much stricter systems global filters and making sure forceably that people surf safe and do not pirate.

These people now could end up being the rebels of the future, protecting peoples rights and all that, but hell guys why no action against china? china is like the poster boy for oppressive government, actively censors and monitors each and every one of their users aggressively, and people still vanish out of existence in china when they get too out of line. I mean hell, if there was ever a big juicy target with a bullseye painted on its head and screaming attack us there it is.

And best part noone would have given a rats spit if china whined or protested, you could have been heroes to billions of chinas citizens even if only managed to take a bit of the restrictions loosened one way or another. and in the global view even if your were an hacker group most people would have supported you for a good long while no matter what else you did.