Sega Cancels Aliens: Colonial Marines on Wii U

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Gearbox President Randy Pitchford claimed in May 2012 that the Wii U release would be the "best-looking" version of the game
And in a way, he was correct.

For all the wrong reasons, but still.

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
worldfest said:
Probably not, but this is not about Gearbox. It's about the publisher. SEGA could not forecast a profit on a supposed major platform (Wii U) with such a mediocre game. So only AAA-grade super quality games will succeed on the Wii U. Goodbye Indie.
Except Colonial Marines WAS a AAA title. AAA does not automatically mean quality, just size.

Honestly, I'd say the opposite is the case. With the bloating budgets of AAA games, the lower-budgeted indie scene might be the only ones who can profit on the WiiU at the moment.

What's more, Nintendo seems to be trying to take advantage of that, getting timed exclusivity deals with Bit.Trip Runner 2 and Toki Tori 2, and being the only console-maker whose getting the game Shovel Knight (most likely due to developer Yacht Club being headed by former workers of WayForward, who have a very solid working relationship with Nintendo).

Hell, Nintendo is lending out their own franchises to smaller publishers. They're collaborating with Namco on Smash Bros and Atlus on a Fire Emblem/Shin Megami Tensei crossover. While those two studios are popular with their audience, one would be hard pressed to call them AAA.

If anything, perhaps Nintendo's best shot is to stay far away from the AAA studios and focus more on building bridges with indies and AA (or some other term to describe Atlus and Namco and such) publishers.

[HEADING=2]Nintendo needs to fire it's President, Satoru Iwata. [http://www.notenoughshaders.com/2013/04/02/satoru-iwata-hubris-versus-western-culture/][/HEADING]
A few years ago I would have agreed with that idea, but ever since the 3DS launch tanked, Nintendo really does seem to be trying to get their shit together. Then again, perhaps it's doing so despite Iwata, not because of him, so maybe you have the right idea...

As for the rest of your postI personally agree with most of this statement (I unfortunately think the rumors are right about the NextBox this time, and despite everything I said, I fully acknowledge the WiiU is doing badly), but history has proven surprises can happen.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
Least surprising news in human history. I am surprised the game hasn't bee taken from store shelves at this point.

Adon Cabre

Jun 14, 2012
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
worldfest said:
Given that Sony have yet to actually show the console itself, give any firm details of what launch titles will be available, and most importantly haven;t announced the effing price yet, you might want to keep that boner in your pants just a little longer.

The issue isn't that Sega couldn't forecast a profit. They've already profited on the Wii U with Sega All Stars Racing Transformed. The issue is that Aliens: Colonial Marines is a turd of a game. Funnily enough, it's pretty damn difficult to make a profit on any platform when your game is a turd.

Also, that Not Enough Shaders article you linked to is a pretty piss-poor piece of writing. It's easy to argue anything when you cherrypick quotes out of context and only quote other people who agree with you.
So how else does an article cover roughly 9 years of a gaming company. And she freaking supplies links if you want further enlightenment in the context. But don't blame you, you probably haven't learned how to source an article yet.

Seeing as how the PS4 will not have always online DRM, will come loaded up with a solid interface, and already has about six games promised upon launch, we can see why it has become the most promising. However, Microsoft has gotten negative reception, and the Wii U has been tanked by nearly every gaming website.

All this while SONY is making a drive toward indie development, making their tech as easy to code as possible, and even revamping an almost 20 year old controller with modern specs. To top it off, they're pushing forward with the PS Vita and Move -- determined not to give up on methods poorly implemented because of the limitations of the PS3.

Yeah, you suck SONY!

*Sarcasm*

Adon Cabre

Jun 14, 2012
Mr. Omega said:
worldfest said:
Probably not, but this is not about Gearbox. It's about the publisher. SEGA could not forecast a profit on a supposed major platform (Wii U) with such a mediocre game. So only AAA-grade super quality games will succeed on the Wii U. Goodbye Indie.
Honestly, I'd say the opposite is the case. With the bloating budgets of AAA games, the lower-budgeted indie scene might be the only ones who can profit on the WiiU at the moment...
There is a reason why I said, "AAA-grade super quality games". The Wii U needs the absolute best or there is no incentive to rush out and buy the console. Nintendo needs these big games ported over. Millions and millions go into promoting a game, and you can't really hype low budget titles. I've seen more Bioshock Infinite commercials then anything for the Wii U -- and that includes the console!

Mr. Omega said:
[HEADING=2]Nintendo needs to fire it's President, Satoru Iwata. [http://www.notenoughshaders.com/2013/04/02/satoru-iwata-hubris-versus-western-culture/][/HEADING]
A few years ago I would have agreed with that idea, but ever since the 3DS launch tanked, Nintendo really does seem to be trying to get their shit together. Then again, perhaps it's doing so despite Iwata, not because of him, so maybe you have the right idea...

As for the rest of your postI personally agree with most of this statement (I unfortunately think the rumors are right about the NextBox this time, and despite everything I said, I fully acknowledge the WiiU is doing badly), but history has proven surprises can happen.
You only get lucky if you're prepared. The Wii U never was. What I'm saying is, you can't make this big a mistake. And you don't just recover in a year or two. This kind of mistake haunts you for the life of the console. And Nintendo knows that every step in the right direction could have been a leap, but they weren't prepared.

If you conform to your competition instead of blazing your own trail in some expandable market (like the Wii) then you cannot last. Nintendo has never been about the hardcore graphic obsessed genre, but the Wii U is saying something different.

[HEADING=2]The Wii U is kinda-sorta-maybe better, but altogether inferior to next Gen.[/HEADING]

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
slash2x said:
Wait? This this was still going to HAPPEN until TODAY? Did no one at Sega look at Metacritic? Or you know the internet?
I like to think that earlier today one of them was like "Metacritic?"

*opens it up*

NEAT! I wonder what people are saying about Colonial Marines!

O.O

HOLY SHIT! JAMES! Get in here! I think we have a problem!

SHUT.

DOWN.

EVERYTHING.

Adon Cabre

Jun 14, 2012
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
worldfest said:
will come loaded up with a solid interface
Believe it or not, but having a solid interface is actually standard practise amongst consoles now. It's certainly nothing unique. The PS3, Wii, Wii U, 3DS and Vita have all got good interfaces. The 360 less so, but it's still not exactly bad.
You should have told Nintendo, what with that major speed update coming next month. And what about those horrible firmware updates that kept pouring out in the months following its launch just to unlock articles on its interface.

j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
worldfest said:
and already has about six games promised upon launch
Which are? They've not actually confirmed anything yet, have they? Thus far it's looking like a new Killzone, Knack, and some multiplatform titles. Maybe that'll change, but it's not exactly the most compelling launch lineup so far.
Then lineup and be amazed, cause you'll be getting Killzone, Knack, Watchdogs, Assassin's Creed 4, Deep Down, Destiny, Beyond Two Souls, Infamous: Second Son, oh yeah, and another Final Fantasy.

Wait a minute: one, two, three... that's Nine -- whoa, I stand corrected!

j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
worldfest said:
making their tech as easy to code as possible, and even revamping an almost 20 year old controller with modern specs.
A controller has specs? All I saw was a touchpad and the same Sixaxis motion control integration Sony launched with last tim(sic), except with a shiny blue light. That's not exactly redefining the nature of controller design, is it.
Those flashy lights do more than look good, and that touchpad, while not so annoyingly massive as the Wii U's pad, certainly helps in player immersion. Look it up.

j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
worldfest said:
To top it off, they're pushing forward with the PS Vita and Move -- determined not to give up on methods poorly implemented because of the limitations of the PS3.
The Vita tanking had nothing to do with the limitations of the PS3, and everything to do with Sony a) refusing to support it with actual software, and b) marketing it as a £200 wireless controller, and c) pricing the memory cards at a truly extortionate level. If they don't drop the price and get games out for it, then remote play on PS4 will be just as laughable as it was for PS3. No-one but the most monied tech-heads are going to spend an extra £200 for a controller that requires £60 for a decent sized memory card.

All three of those things need to happen before Vita becomes a viable handheld.

As for the Move- it was pretty universally terrible on PS3, I see nothing to suggest it's going to be otherwise on PS4.
The Vita is selling better than the Wii U for a reason. And the lineup has become more promising with each passing month. Oh, and the memory cards are Starbucks cheap.

j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
worldfest said:
Yeah, you suck SONY!

*Sarcasm*
Where did I say that Sony suck? I only bring this up because Sony have mucked up the launches of their last two consoles (Vita and PS3), and there's no evidence thus far to suggest they won't cock this one up somehow as well. There's certainly nothing to suggest this is going to be a record breaking launch that re-energises the entire industry. Not when we haven't yet seen the console itself, or know how much it will cost. That last point is crucial. Sony have made the mistake time and again of overpricing their hardware, and it's something they seem incapable of learning. If they overprice the PS4 then they're screwed. Simple as.
I never said that you said Sony sucks, it was an exaggeration for all of the industry doubters. They won't price it too steeply, or come out with multiple versions. Don't expect anything past $500. You're going to have it for ten years or so. I still use my 11 year old PS2, and five year old PS3. They've always sold at a loss, but with the amount of games coming out, they'll make it up rather quickly.

Adon Cabre

Jun 14, 2012
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
worldfest said:
You only get lucky if you're prepared. The Wii U never was. What I'm saying is, you can't make this big a mistake. And you don't just recover in a year or two. This kind of mistake haunts you for the life of the console.
Which is why the PS3 overcame its disastrous launch and ended up outselling the 360... wait, what?
Sony's problems of 2007-2008 are a lite version of Nintendo's dumpster-fire. You can cut prices [http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/technology/2009/08/sony-slashes-price-of-ps3-introduces-thinner-model.html], you can single out one console model to go sell en masse [http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/698455/sonys-ps3-slim-secrecy-revealed-is-a-250gb-model-coming/]-- that is, if you brand yourself on distinction, or the future. SONY's PS3 struggled because of their hardware. Its software was difficult to code; but they get a break. The industry at this point, was making a major leap in code writing in general. Sony's slow launch of titles came from the shortage of new generation code-writer.

The Wii U's problems are so fundamental that I could spell it out in one sentence. It has no identity. [http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/02/07/wii-us-struggle-to-remain-relevant] Columnists have even begun posting articles with ideas for marketing Nintendo [http://www.cubed3.com/news/18440/1/where-is-the-wii-u-marketing-nintendo-confusing-approach.html]. The PS3 branded itself on the future. The Wii U can't handle the future -- those new, flashy engines. It isn't different either, like the Wii. So why should anyone buy it? Nintendo was so obsessed with pleasing everyone, that they forgot the fundamentals of business: distinction & future.

The PS3 recovered [http://www.itworld.com/personal-tech/335129/idc-total-ps3-sales-top-xbox-360] because its mistakes were just a hiccup in the details [http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2008/06/playstation-3-blu-ray/], not fundamental.​

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Ummm...

"This ain't happening, man, it ain't happening"?

But, as mentioned, meh.

chiefohara

Sep 4, 2009
"how could they cut the power man, they're animals"

cutting the game in this case is a mercy i think.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Tank207 said:
Considering the reputation the game and Gearbox have now garnered... yeah this is possibly for the best. It sucks that the WiiU loses yet another game in its library, but I honestly don't think anything of value was lost by this cancellation.

It's kind of funny how Gearbox went from being relatively well liked after Borderlands 2(which is a fantastic game... for me at least) to being one of the most reviled developers in the industry.
As a Wii U owner I'm not sure if I really think it's bad that we're not getting this or not. Rayman getting delayed for almost a year (counting from the first launch date they promised) was a tragedy. Not getting a game no-one really liked seems like a win win for both Wii U owners and Gearbox.

F'Angus

Nov 18, 2009
This sucks since they said the WiiU version of the game was the best and they were making it with WiiU in mind.

TJC

Aug 28, 2011
Mcoffey said:
And thus, Wii U owners were spared even more mediocrity and disappointment.

I wonder how long it will be beforee we see a good Aliens game after this. Wasnt there one on the DS that was supposed to be good?
There was! http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/d9/Aliens_Infestation_Coverart.png

It's actually kinda fun, being an above par Metroidvania style game. Not worth full price, tho (even DS full price)
Then again, it was developed by WayForward and they know their 2D platformer/metroidvanias.

OT:

Yeaaaaaaahhh, nothing of value lost, to be honest. Then again, the WiiU library still is criminally small so maybe even a subpar game would be welcome.

LordLundar

Apr 6, 2004
Adon Cabre said:
Wait wait wait.

Did you just say that a crappy game that is crappy for a multitude of reasons not being put on Nintendo's console because the publisher realizes that it won't sell because it can't pull the same dirty tricks that it did before launch to inflate sales is somehow Nintendo's fault?

What if it had been the PS3 or the 360 that this was occurring to. Would you blame Sony or Microsoft for it?

:looks up post history: Nope, you just have a hate on for Nintendo.

mew4ever23

Mar 21, 2008
Nothing of value lost here. Considering how awful the other versions were, it's probably a good thing.

Sizzle Montyjing

Pronouns - Slam/Slammed/Slammin'
Apr 5, 2011
Tank207 said:
It's kind of funny how Gearbox went from being relatively well liked after Borderlands 2(which is a fantastic game... for me at least) to being one of the most reviled developers in the industry.
Did they? I thought everyone just told them to stick to their own IP's, that's certainly what I did.
Anyway, eh, who really cares? Mediocre game doesn't get onto a console, probably the right thing to do.

Slash2x

Dec 7, 2009
theultimateend said:
slash2x said:
Wait? This this was still going to HAPPEN until TODAY? Did no one at Sega look at Metacritic? Or you know the internet?
I like to think that earlier today one of them was like "Metacritic?"

*opens it up*

NEAT! I wonder what people are saying about Colonial Marines!

O.O

HOLY SHIT! JAMES! Get in here! I think we have a problem!

SHUT.

DOWN.

EVERYTHING.
HAHAHA!!

*Follow up*
DEAR LORD THIS IS TERRIBLE!!
Wait it has to be isolated to this game... Check a staple product, how is Sonic doing?

O.O

OH SHIT! WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED!?!?!?

BURN ALL THE FILES!
SHUT DOWN THE SERVERS! KILL THE DEVELOPMENT TEAMS!
YOU YOU AND YOU!! GO COMMIT SEPPUKU AND HOPE IT CLEARS OUR HONOR!

Seriously I laughed at your post at work and everyone thought I was crazy(er).