Sega: MadWorld and Wii Were a "Mismatch"

SturmDolch

This Title is Ironic
May 17, 2009
Hm... I saw MadWorld for $10 and in bargain bins only a few months after release. So it was good, apparently. Good. It was the only Wii title I would have ever considered playing.

Heart of Darkness

The final days of His Trolliness
Jul 1, 2009
Yes, blame the console and not the marketing strategy. I mean, everyone in the whole world ever knew about MadWorld before it was released. [/snark]

Nothing much else to add here. MadWorld and games like it aren't really my cup of tea.

BloodSquirrel

Jun 23, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
"Critically [MadWorld] got a lot of acclaim, but commercially it wasn't the success we wanted it to be. Clearly that was a mismatch with the Wii audience - particularly in terms of the amount of cross-ownership between Wii and the other home platforms. If you're going to play a mature-rated game, you're going to get your 360, PC or PS3 out to do so," he said.
Not so fast, spanky.

I own a Wii. I did not buy MadWorld. The reason I did not buy MadWorld is because the word on the street was that it was incredibly short and still managed to be repetitive.

The problem isn't that there isn't a market for mature games on the Wii- it's that you keep underestimating our standards. Put out something that would have at least been considered AAA last generation and we'll bite.

Visulth said:
I bought MadWorld; I did my bit. I didn't particularly enjoy the game as much as others, but I really wanted to help further the so-called "Mature Gamer Presence" on the Wii. But do you recall ever seeing an ad for the game? On the tv, anywhere? I don't. These companies forget that not everyone is up-to-date with the game scene and if you want to sell the game, you need to tell people about it.
I think the fact that the people who did buy it did so because they wanted to further the cause of Mature Wii games says a lot about why nobody else did.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
It was actually a fun game, I thought. Got a bit repetitive, but it wasn't bad. Fun little premise, though, of colorfully smashing everything in sight.

BloodSquirrel

Jun 23, 2008
cousinletsgobowling said:
can someone tell me why they dont port to it too ps3 and xbox please?
Because it would fail there too. It was released on the Wii because they figured there wasn't much competition there. They figured that it was an untapped market. Problem was, anyone who cared about that type of game already owns an HD console, so they were actually competing against games that developers had bothered to put some effort into.

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
Mad World was a tech demo they charged $50 for. It made for an awesome trailer but a crappy game. There just weren't enough gameplay elements. The finishing moves should have been button presses and not gestures because the Wii gesture controls were so clunky you ended up just spazzing and doing a random one rather than the one you picked.

You couldn't save except after the boss fight which made starting the game painful (unless I suck and couldn't figure it out).

So yeah, that guy is full of shit. Madworld didn't fail because of the Wii, Madworld failed because the game wasn't good.

Nalgas D. Lemur

Nov 20, 2009
Furburt said:
I enjoyed Madworld. I mean, it wasn't particularly substantial, but it was a good game, and to be honest, its flaws were nothing to do with the console it's residing on. I think SEGA is once again trying to pass the ball rather than accept responsibility and improve on it.
I got it for $8, and it was worth $8. Maybe even $10! It's definitely entertaining, and it has some pretty good moments. It is rather flawed, though, and I agree that they have nothing to do with the Wii. It's really frustrating that you can do so many cool things that hardly get you any points...but it requires that you get lots of points just to finish each level. The problems with the game are mainly basic game design issues like that which would've been really easy to fix. Unfortunately, they didn't, for some reason. Still fun, still glad I got it, but I kind of have a feeling that part of why it didn't sell that well is that it's only ok, not great.

Echolocating

Jul 13, 2006
He said the "natural home" for Platinum Games, the Japanese studio behind MadWorld and the far more popular Bayonetta, is on the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, because those are the platforms of choice for the vast majority of mature gamers.
I'm sure that if MadWorld was a game of actual substance, it would have sold better. I think these types of statements should just remain as memos (excuses) to investors. I've never heard any PS3/360 owners crying about how they couldn't play MadWorld. Good grief.

SnootyEnglishman

May 26, 2009
I didn't play Madworld but i thought the concept of the game was a good idea don't see many other Televised Deathmatch scenarios much anymore. What did it in for me was the black and white mixed with with red to show blood and no other colors my eyes suck and it would have been hard for me to see what the fucks going on. It being on the Wii wasn't it's problem MadWorld is the type of game that could make the Wii rise up to a functional level in Mature gaming SEGA just needs to change it by adding some color is all but obviously their brains can't see that option and have instead gone the Limbertail Troll route and sacked it then bashed the Wii.

DrDeath3191

Mar 11, 2009
Would this game have sold well anywhere? I think not. Far too many people were put off by the look of the game. Plus it's far too short. Brawlers haven't exactly been known as million-sellers either. Add a lack of advertising to appropriate places and you have a fluke waiting to happen. The sales weren't all that bad truth be told: it's at nearly half a million sales according to VGChartz so it probably made money. That said, the title was far too niche to be a winner anywhere.

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
Where's that quote from Platinium saying they wanted to do a MadWorld 2...

The problem with the Wii is that if you aren't prepared to advertise, you aren't going to do well. Hell, I'd credit most of the extra sales Bayonetta got over MadWorld to the fact that they bothered to advertise Bayonetta, with a La Roux remix and everything.

chimmers

Nov 18, 2007
Aww man, Madworld and House of the Dead were great fun. Short, but sweet. Such a shame, probably no more reasons to get the Wii back out now

Mr. Gency

Jan 26, 2010
can someone tell me why they don't port to it too ps3 and xbox please?
It has a better chance of being on the PSP. Anyway, if it were ported to the PS3 or 360, I would love to play it.
Echolocating said:
He said the "natural home" for Platinum Games, the Japanese studio behind MadWorld and the far more popular Bayonetta, is on the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, because those are the platforms of choice for the vast majority of mature gamers.
I'm sure that if MadWorld was a game of actual substance, it would have sold better. I think these types of statements should just remain as memos (excuses) to investors. I've never heard any PS3/360 owners crying about how they couldn't play MadWorld. Good grief.
You never heard it because everyone has a Wii.

I'm not doing a good job of defending the game, am I?

spartan773

Nov 18, 2009
can someone tell me why they dont port to it too ps3 and xbox please?
actually i would like to see that... saves me from forking out 250 bucks to play the game.