Sega to Drop Games and Employees During Extreme Restructuring

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
I really hope this doesn't end up hurting Platinum Games... they're the only ones associated with Sega releasing anything I give a damn about anymore. Anyone losing jobs is unfortunate, and I wish them the best as well.

Sylveria

Nov 15, 2009
Oh yay, more shitty, shoveled out Sonic games on the way.

SupahGamuh said:
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
Wow... it's like people on the Escapist forgot the Sonic Colors and Generations happened. Sonic isn't lost in the desert anymore, and if Sega can make more games like generations, hopefully things will start to pick up for them.

It's a real shame. Sega has become one of my favourite publishers. They seem to be a lot more willing to bank on new IPs, rather thank just sticking to the same old franchises, and they've published some of my all time favourite games. Oh Otogi, how I love you so...
I certainly liked Colors and I really, really loved Generations and I'm in my second playthrough now with a possible third afterwards, it's a seriously awesome game and I just can't get enough from it. I'd love if they added some more levels as DLC, I'd definitively throw my money to Sega.

As for the losses... damn... it's a real shame, they've done a great job as publishers and I hope they don't tank anytime soon.

Also, I hope this doesn't affect the Jet Grind Radio port or the Three Rings studio, I still play Spiral Knights from time to time.
Here's the thing about Sonic.. so few people really care any more. Yes, the past couple Sonics haven't been abortions, but his audience isn't near as big as Sega and the fanboys like to believe. It's certainly not big enough to sustain the company, unless they pump out tons of cheaply made games for that audience to eat up.

RaNDM G

Apr 28, 2009
There goes the Dr. Who game.

You hear something? It sounds like millions of fans burning their perfectly good money.

OneBrokePony

Jul 20, 2011
Kinda sad for me since I supported SEGA in the Console Wars in the 90s. I even have a 32X.
Anyway, this is going to be rough on the employees, and I wouldn't be surprised to see SEGA start selling off its copyrights.

penguindude42

Nov 14, 2010
Kumagawa Misogi said:
How has Sega fallen so far, yet there nearly as large as EA.
Speaking of EA, this is their fault, they took Bioware from Sega, and look what's
happening to them because of that.

Fawxy said:
Sega needs to be, like, bought by someone who actually knows what the hell they're doing.

This is getting depressing.
I.E. Nintendo.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
penguindude42 said:
Kumagawa Misogi said:
How has Sega fallen so far, yet there nearly as large as EA.
Speaking of EA, this is their fault, they took Bioware from Sega, and look what's
happening to them because of that.
Wait, what? Took Bioware from... huh?

Sion_Barzahd

Jul 2, 2008
Fappy said:
as far as I understand their only real areas of profit are in their arcade titles (in Asia mostly) and the Sonic fanbase.
Forgot about the total war fanbase. I'm pretty sure the total war games have been a bigger success than the sonic games.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Sion_Barzahd said:
Fappy said:
as far as I understand their only real areas of profit are in their arcade titles (in Asia mostly) and the Sonic fanbase.
Forgot about the total war fanbase. I'm pretty sure the total war games have been a bigger success than the sonic games.
True. I always forget SEGA made them.

Darth_Dude

Jul 11, 2008
I know they mentioned this already, but

IF THE TOTAL WAR SERIES GETS TOUCHED BECAUSE OF THIS, I WILL BLOW SHIT UP.

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
Egh I wouldn't shelve Sonic, It's really tough to let go of a character who practically catapulted you to success at one point, and Colours and Generations were really ... Well good. Not risk takers by any means but definitely the trims of a new Sonic Team dipping their toes into the water and seeing if what they're doing is safe. And well, yep, it is, as long as they let the Happy Tree friends writers write a little more of that dialogue like in colours, anyone griping about those cut scenes can go sit in the corner with their emo-teddy, I thought they were great change in tone. I've missed Sonic and Tails goofing around. Shadow the Hedgehog through to Sonic and the Black Knight era is over and we now need to move on and forget it happened. Preferably with brain soap.

But this was a long time coming. The same as Blizzard, the fat has needed to be trimmed for some time and restructuring is just a part of this, and I hope once the chaos is over with they'll start rebuilding. Once again as someone unemployed I'm really cheesed off for those that have lost their job, but the same my inner objectivity says: "Well... it was probably necessary." There was a unidentifiable tumor at Sega for a while making bad decision after bad decision and this is probably their chemotherapy. I just hope it gives new blood a chance to make the IP they have and will have shine better.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
"Sega will immediately redirect its focus to a select stable of franchises including Sonic"

How about ditching Sonic and investing in something that hasn't been largely irrelevant since the 90s? They can't be doing that good with the series.

Podunk

Dec 18, 2008
Hopefully we'll still see a sequel to Bayonetta, and HoTD: Overkill(Someday? Maybe? Please? Just for me?), and I'll be sad if I can't get Jet Set Radio for my Xbox; I never did get to play any of those games, not having a Dreamcast or Original Xbox, but they looked like they'd be right up my alley.

Jabberwock xeno

Oct 30, 2009
Tsk tsk...

When will they get it?

All they need to do is one of or all of the following:

A: Make Sonic adventure 3
B: Re-make Sonic adventure 2/battle and/or port it to xbla/psn
C: make a stand alone chao garden game.

Bam! Instant mass sales. Hell, i'd bet if they so much as said "Sonic adventure 2", their market shares would go up.

Humorous non-joking-seriouslywhydontyouguysdoitalready aside, it sucks that people and the stuff they were working on are being let go.

xPixelatedx

Jan 19, 2011
You know what Sega? If you are hurting for money, just cave to the fans already. I know this is strictly against japanese sensibilities but just do it. All anyone wants you to make is a true Sonic squeal. Not a spinoff, not a 3D re-imagining. An actual squeal.

1. Do what Capcom did with Megaman and get the actual instruments and programs you used to make Sonic 3/Knuckles, and on the same engine. Sonic has 100x the fans (which are also 100x the crazy).

2. Release 'FULL GAME' on XBL Live/PSN for $15.

3. ????

4. Profit!

I am not even a sonic fan and I know this. If only you and Square would listen to what your costumers wanted (instead of making small concessions), then both of you would be richer then god right now. RICHER THEN GOD...

idarkphoenixi

May 2, 2011
The only SEGA game I like is the TW series, everything else is just crap that I lost interest in decades ago (sonic). Did they really think they could float on mascots that were around during the Dreamcast? Make some decent games quick SEGA, the Japanese market is already fucked over here in the west.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
Whelp, there goes any chance of Valkyria Chronicles 3 ever making it here to the states. Not like there was much of a chance before, but still.