self righteousness and the escapist

Godzillarich(aka tf2godz)

Get the point
Legacy
Aug 1, 2011
Cretaceous
Country
USA
so it's starting to become a running joke that these forums have become a little bit let's say arrogant and very loud over the course of a few years and I thought it would be a good time to kind of address why that is. I personally gave my thoughts another thread which I will quote here

tf2godz said:
most forums are echo chambers even though most people don't realize it. Reddit and even 8chan have this problem of separating people into different clicks by giving them each a section you can stay in. The escapists is what happens when you completely remove it. it's kind of fascinating, it kind of shows us how self-righteous and arrogant we really are. I remember when a bunch of 8chan members decided to come into the escapist to "destroyed echo chamber" why they were talking in an echo chamber. Some of them learned the ways of the forums (some of them who are probably talking about this issue here) and others got suspended or banned and nothing really changed.

anyway the point I'm trying to make here is that the reason the escapist is so self-righteous is because a lot of people in there political beliefs don't see the people who they disagree with as people but more strawman they talk to behind their backs. The escapist is what happens when you have to face another reasonable human being with a different political beliefs. We don't like to be wrong and it kind of turned us into Dicks.

I'm sorry if this sounded pretentious or stupid just something on my mind.
I thought it would be an interesting topic to expand on its own thread. So what do you guys think the escapist main problem with people being a little bit to self-righteous is.

p.s I'm not talking about one group of a certain debate of being arrogant I think debates in general on the site on both sides have this problem.

p.s.s sorry for poor grammar.

White Lightning

Feb 9, 2012
I'm not on here enough to notice any of your silly nonsense, so I went and browsed Religion and Politics for a bit and suddenly your nonsense is a lot less silly.

I dunno, you summed it up pretty well. I didn't see a whole lot of bans or anything but a lot of people seemed to ignore what (little) evidence was brought up and continued to whine about how they felt.

I suppose I'll just go back to teetering on the edge of my forum health bar with bare minimum responses and witty insults.

theSovietConnection

Survivor, VDNKh Station
Jan 14, 2009
I don't know, I don't think anything you've mentioned is particularly new, more that it's just moved to more divisive topics (ie: politics, social justice, etc...).

I don't know if it was quite so bad back when you first signed up, but if it was, do you remember the fate of anyone who dared question the supreme and unquestionable glory that was Valve and his most holy GabeN? Or dared have the audacity to not think Half-Life 2 was the be-all end-all that gaming ever has been, could be, or would ever be again?

I've noticed now that people tend to be a little more accepting of dissenting opinions on Valve (and this was before the whole paid mod fiasco), but have taken to their politics, hard and fast.

I guess, in short, I think the site has always had it's own little self-righteousness problem, it's just moved on to something people are less unanimous on.

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
Depends on what forums you frequent. I've been here for 6 years, and barely even touched Religion & Politics, user groups or the recent Game Industry Discussion. Do you think discussing politics or religion is much different elsewhere? They are things that likely won't change because some random person on the internet showed you a bunch of graphs.

The only serious division into clicks I've seen here was the recent GamerGate clusterfuck where people seriously asked "Why aren't you pro-Gamergate?" like the fucking Stasi or CIA in the 50's.

tf2godz said:
so it's starting to become a running joke that these forums have become a little bit let's say arrogant and very loud over the course of a few years
Can you provide an example? I'm not trying to be a dick, I'd just like to see where you draw this conclusion from, aside from gamergate threads or anything Sarkeesian-related. From what I see here, the forums have actually become a bit more level-headed because users like Sung-Hwan, Zeel and EternalNothingness have left.

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
It's probably why I gravitated to this forum rather than any others on the internet, it kinda feels like a small island of decency in a massive sea of feces. It's also just about the only reason I still visit this site sadly enough. I'm pretty sure it all comes down to the heavy moderation, if people act the same way here that they do on most sites they're gone in no time.

Say what you will about openness, freedom of expression, and censorship, in actual practice a laizes-faire system just leads to white noise of meaningless drivel, choking out interesting and worthwhile commentary.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
Yeah... Well, it happens when you do in fact get to see dissenting opinions I guess.

The internet is great at self-selecting people into environments that never challenge their beliefs, or basic thoughts, or anything else. Find your preferred isolated group, start a rant, and watch a bunch of people just agree with you.

It is certainly quite ironic to have this place be called an 'echo chamber' by a bunch of people... Because... Apparently they can't just come in here and get everyone to agree with their point of view at the drop of a hat.
Because, hey, it's not an echo chamber when it is matches your opinion, now is it?

Still, forcing people together does show most people are unwilling to concede a point, no matter what it is.

Sometimes this is understandable. Certain topics are going to involve certain people not being particularly willing to budge just because the nature of the topic. (consider trying to convince a gay person that it's wrong to be gay? That's... Not likely to work out, given that to many of the people on one side of that argument, this is intensely personal, and even just the attitudes involved can have a direct impact on their life, while most of the people on the other side are not likely to be directly affected by it regardless of what they think of it.)

Sometimes, it gets very, very silly though. And people just seem to dig in their heels for absolutely no real reason at all, other than clinging to some silly sense of pride, and not daring to be humble enough to admit you may in fact be wrong.

Then of course, there's jumping to conclusions. The essence of a strawman argument is found in this.

One person says X, the other assumes in saying that they mean all of X,Y,Z,A,1,Q and R, when in reality, the person literally only meant X, and it is completely pointless to argue about any of the rest of those things, because they aren't anything to do with what the person said (or believes), they are just your own mind filling in blanks in the stupidest way possible.

So... You get people entrenching their position... Arguing past eachother, refusing to concede one point for fear of damaging their credibility on another seemingly related point... And so on.

People, are, by and large, arrogant assholes it seems.
You can try and hide that, or you can find an echo chamber and never have to have your beliefs challenged (and thus delude yourself into thinking you are not like that, but all these other random 'idiots' are, and just can't see how awesome and rational and right you are...)
But... Force enough people to actually have to confront varying conflicting beliefs, and watch the sparks and accusations fly!

It's impressive really. In a stupid, mindless kind of way...

Trippy Turtle

Elite Member
May 10, 2010
Most people on here at least glance at the opposing arguments, acknowledge they exist, before ignoring them and sticking to what they think. Myself included.
Whereas on places like Reddit the cool opinion is right, nobody cares about evidence of any kind, and disagreeing with a top comment is immediately downvoted on principle.
Its possibly the worst website for discussion of anything. Perfect for sharing cool screenshots or random ideas for strategies or something. Useless at any form of discussion.

I blame the voting system, and think we would see similar here if there was a like function.
On the other hand, going even further away from being a popularity contest to total anonymity, when people aren't shitposting on 4chan they actually come to agreements sometimes, at least on the less popular boards.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
LITTLE PROBLEM?!

Let's just say I've met some of that little problem.

What I think of it is that people should think before they say what they say.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
The only time I notice that which isn't R&P is a topic that the OP make sometime a statement and is on hell bent to preventing his or her opinion changed despite many other people had put a good counter claim to the OP statement. Example- that one thread on why dub in anime is awful and should all be sub (lol) or that other one were American Football should be banned from playing it at an early age.

Popido

Oct 21, 2010
Dare I say it? I honestly believe Escapist has trolls.

There are certain methods to get people pissed and suspended, if you manage to trigger them. And the "discussions" that we're talking about here, usually only aim to arm ressel the opponent to either leave the discussion or get them suspended.

Atleast its do able.

wAriot

Jan 18, 2013
I browse several forums, and the common thing I've noticed between them is this: they may believe their own users are bad, but they are still better than every other forum. 4chan thinks its the last bastion of common sense, 8chan thinks everyone else has fallen prey to the Social Justice?, Neogaf believes it is the paragon of goodness and good reporting. Let's just not talk about 'that' side of Tumblr.

Since The Escapist is mostly composed by people from those sites, there is obviously a lot of self-righteousness and the belief that everyone else must be wrong. They don't know the things I've read on my site! This creates some pretty heated discussions where no one listens and will never admit they are wrong.
I still think this has a positive side, though. The meeting of these people, who would never go to those other disgusting sites (eugh, am I right), may make some rethink their position and ideas, or at least give a sense of perspective.

I'd just like if people got off their high horse more frequently. Not just here, though, but all over the internet in general.

Basically,
Caramel Frappe said:
Debating isn't about proving whether you're right and they're wrong ... but rather, coming to an understanding on different standpoints and gaining new ideals about the modern world. To be open minded and understand what your debater is actually saying.

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
wAriot said:
Basically,
Caramel Frappe said:
Debating isn't about proving whether you're right and they're wrong ... but rather, coming to an understanding on different standpoints and gaining new ideals about the modern world. To be open minded and understand what your debater is actually saying.
BORING!

No really, the point of debate is to make your opponent look bad in front of an audience. This is what trolls do for laughs.

Compare the point of arguing IRL, which is is to get the other person to DO what you think is right, without using your fists. On the internet, there is no do, only talk, usually with complete strangers.

So if you're not arguing or debating here for your own amusement, you're wasting your time (though you may still be entertaining others).
There is also such a thing as looking for information, but arguing is the wrong way to go about it.

Silence

Living undeath to the fullest
Legacy
Sep 21, 2014
Country
Germany
Oh yes, many people here are self rightous. And while I think I am not it, I definitely did things like "Oh, he disagreed with me, but has a valid point? Let's just ignore him then, why should I post now".

Anyways, all these GG manchildren or perpetually offended SJWs, they really get on my nerves.

Well, this is how easy it is to lump different persons into a big box, close it, and ignore most of their points, no matter if they try to argue in favor or against something. And that's the "honest" self-righteousness.

Trolls exist, and I could write a handbook on some trolling methods, quite a few I have seen here.

Imre Csete

Original Character, Do Not Steal
Jul 8, 2010
I guess it's a matter of perspective, I can't even fathom how can people be so angry about such nonsense issues, because I have problems on my own that factor more into my life than goddamn pixels. This whole Gamer Gate and SJW thing is so alien to me, it's kinda fascinating at best and at worst I just leave gaming sites for months to get away from this madness. I'm sure as hell not going to spend hours having arguments with folks who don't want to entertain the idea of other opinions than their own. :D

I miss the days when DRM, PC piracy and douchebag publisher moves were all the rage. :(

wizzy555

Oct 14, 2010
From my perspective the forums have done a 180, last year they were social justice warrior central. Now they are almost Gamergate central. Both self-righteous to varying degrees.

Although I did hate SJW central more.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
I can only speak for myself, and I'm tremendously self-righteous.

Seriously, though, methinks it has a lot to do with the topics being discussed. There's a reason the Gaming Forum is mostly good-natured.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I've seen other forums and believe it or not I think The Escapist has mostly nice, sensible people in it.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
I don't know about self-righteous...I figure there's just dicks here, or they were here depending on who you may think of when reading that statement but that's ANY forum/site/place/party, there's just less irrational outbursts of people calling eachother assholes for not agreeing with them on opinions with games. There may be a discussion/argument but it's not going to be "UR DUB AND GAY" and that's the response.

I did get quoted in a conversation about sexuality here where someone totally ignorant on the subject was really aggressive, said some blunt rude things...and was suspended or banned. Probably the worst thing that was said to me, had had someone else insist there's no aggression here ...in an aggressive statement in a topic that GOT aggressive and was locked, so maybe a bit of self-righteous...dickery.

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
veloper said:
No really, the point of debate is to make your opponent look bad in front of an audience. This is what trolls do for laughs.
Unfortunately not just trolls - people who genuinely believe they're in the right will apply it as best they can. I was part of a British Politics group on Facebook till very recently, and I learned two very important lessons that caused me to leave.

First off, if you're going against a right-winger, anything you say is spoken from privilege and snobbery. If you say Polish immigrants aren't destroying the country, that's because you're upper middle-class and haven't lived on the streets. Neither have they, mind, they live in a house, but there are Polish people outside and that's scary. Then they'll take a different track and bring up either your employment or your education, or bizarrely, both.

"I bet working at Argos taught you all about our history."
"No, my university course in history did that."
"Books don't teach you everything, you know."

Sample dialogue. The kind of argument that makes you lose your original thread and wind up defending doing minimum-wage work and working on a degree as though either of them are flaws. And it will take all your willpower not to ask how many GCSEs they needed from the 'School of Hard Knocks' to get into the 'University of Life,' as they proudly display on their 'About' tab.
Bizarrely, the same people calling for the en-masse 'repatriation' of migrants and descendants of migrants get really upset if you say 'fuck' near them. I mean, the debate grinds to a halt and they demand an apology. One example was when I got outnumbered by Scottish Nationalists (not SNP supporters but Anglophobes) and one of them called me a retard. I replied, "There's no fuckin' need for insults now is there?" and the Scot rather angrily insisted, "How am I being insulting when you're swearing?"

Doesn't even make any sense, man.

But that doesn't compare to the left-wing. They're not nearly so obvious with the 'trolling,' and this is because I actually think they believe it. You might have noticed the Malaysian government arrested a bunch of tourists for posing naked on a sacred mountain - now my opinion on this is that it's a law based around religion or superstition, and is therefore a bad law. You might disagree, but we're not arguing that here because it's largely irrelevant.
One person defended it as "their country their laws," but I disagreed on the basis that we should all be held to the same standard. Malaysia shouldn't be encouraged to punish people based on blasphemy laws if we'd consider that barbaric elsewhere, because that's the same as saying "Well they're not a civilised race like us so you have to expect that kind of behaviour. Malays will be Malays."
To me, that's fairly simple logic.

Three separate people:
"Oh look, the Little Englanders strike again."
"Typical imperialism."
"Nice to see colonialism is still around."

I will admit, that riled me. Smug bloody left-wingers tutting and throwing out words they barely understand rather than addressing the argument placed. I said as much, and got an admin warning for 'personal attacks,' but the only personal attack (I didn't call them smug or imply they were stupid) I found was that I called someone a fascist for believing in 'arbitrary borders and the absolute authority of government.' They didn't deny believing as such, but they took offence to the term 'fascist.'

So...yeah, a bit long-winded, but my point is that it's not just trolls that believe in embarrassing an 'opponent.' People genuinely think that if you swear, you've lost the argument. If you have to use 'labels,' you've lost the argument. If enough people tut derisively, you've lost the argument.

Or if someone calls you a misogynist, you've lost the argument. However that works.

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
wizzy555 said:
From my perspective the forums have done a 180, last year they were social justice warrior central. Now they are almost Gamergate central. Both self-righteous to varying degrees.

Although I did hate SJW central more.
I think it's interesting how these forums seem to become the embodiment of whatever is rustling the gaming community's collective jimmies of the time. As someone already pointed out, a few years ago, Valve could do no wrong, then there was Mass Effect 3 (we don't talk about that), PC vs console gaming, Nintendo is going downhill, Nintendo is doing just fine, JRPGs are declining, 4chan, Fake gamer girls, feminists, Final Fantasy Versus is vaporware, The Last Guardian is vaporware, the Xbox One., Sony burned Microsoft at E3, Those darn SJWs and their tumblrisms, Gamergate, Trans, LGBT issues and more representation in gaming, Tumblr isn't so bad after all...

Where was I going with this? That's just covering Off-Topic and Gaming Discussion, R&P would take forever.

----------------

OT: Anyway, I come to these forums because I can have a conversation and I know not everyone is going to agree with me, but at the same time they can't just say "Lol fuk u" and run away. There is a certain amount of stubbornness, it's not easy to sway people on some topics [footnote]and we make sure to cover all the hard hitters here[/footnote], but well explained dissenting opinions can be a way to grow, and if I don't change my opinion outright, debating in a calm manner can strengthen my own stance. If a person insists on arguing when the topic has long lost it's point, there's no reason to continue and that's the end of it.

As for the self-righteous reputation? I believe part if it was embraced by the staff, the site was once called "the last bastion of intelligence on the internet", people such as Yahtzee and Jim are/were featured and they're not exactly known for sugar coating. I think also the community likes to make fun of itself[footnote]PC gaming master race[/footnote], in jokes that could be taken as serious to people who aren't familiar. There's also a lot of stuff we say when taken out of context sounds absolutely self righteous. [https://twitter.com/escapist_txt]
(but I don't think The Escapist is the only site that this applies to)