Senate Candidate Attacked Over World of Warcraft

Akkiko

Dec 14, 2009
"... she gets away with crude, vicious and violent online comments."

Welcome to the internet. Have a free dickpunch.

CryoSynth

Jun 2, 2011
Mycroft Holmes said:
Couldn't care less that she plays WoW, but she has a weird semi-creepy posting style. Honestly, who says stuff like "oh....and I can kill stuff without going to jail. There are some days when this is more necessary than others"
I don't see how it's creepy. It just seems like she has a dry sense of humour. And that kind of humour is so very very easily taken out of context like has been done.

Arkitext

Mar 25, 2008
Not surprised. "Stab" is a strong word.

Imagine you've never watched a game of WoW being played before, you don't know that the "stab" in question is more like a slapstick poke or prod until the badman-fall-down-go-boom.

So with that frame of context erased, you're reading the word "stab", and you think of a REAL LIFE F***IN ON DA STREET STABBIN, YO. Knife goes in, organs are cut or sliced in half, blood escapes, knife pulled out, internals come with it, spilling out all over the sorry victim, the death isn't quick, they're alive, they feel the pain and they know they're dying, there's no escape from this fate, they wish it was over in a flash, they wish their brain and senses weren't intact, they wish for death, but all they can do is hold their hand to their wound and hope the knife doesn't come around another time. Which it does from the candidates assassin. The knife cuts again, and again, because once is not enough, as the level 68 assassin looks on with a cheeky smile and a sense of vacant glee visible beneath the blood spatter. "Oh god." the victim thinks, unable to speak through the pain, but tears of disbelief in their eyes "What is wrong with this person? Is she finding this fun!?"

I'm not surprised there's a backlash with this in mind. Politics really isn't the place to bring your gamer-speak when you're talking to people who might be the victims of violent and serious crime, and may even have to work around the very real thing from day to day in the Police or in Hospitals.

A good lesson for all of us. I always cringe when I hear todays kids talking about "Killing" NPC's who've really only been arrested, or harmlessly de-spawned according to the game's internal logic. It can turn a family friendly fun filled game like Mario into the straight-up GTA Goomba Genocide, in the minds-eye of the uninitiated...

Xanadu84

Apr 9, 2008
hazabaza1 said:
Dammit, they didn't even get DPS right.
Fuckin' hell this is tragic.
The DPS comment isn't bad. Look at it in context. Lachowicz made that comment, and clearly, she knows what DPS means. She is just calling it deaths per second as an exaggeration of her skills, most likely. It's probably not ignorance, just a bit of harmless trash talking. After all, if she wasn't making a joke, she probably wouldn't have said DPS, and then explained what it meant. Also, technically speaking, you COULD calculate deaths per second. It would be very difficult to do and context dependent, but still relevant.

Xanadu84

Apr 9, 2008
Saltyk said:
Is anyone else curious as to why she mentions being a democrat in one of those quoted posts? I mean, who talks like that? No one. I never hear people walking down the street saying things like:

"As a steel worker, I like your car."
"As a member of the Green Party, I love this song!"
"Who would have thought that a gay man would enjoy this move?"
"I'm an accountant, and I love that restaurant."

It's just not relevant.

Oh, and yes, a sad desperate attempt that isn't particularly clever, and fails to understand the basic concept of gaming culture. But that's blind to political affiliation, guys. After all, Leland Yee is a democrat.
She is a Democrat, and thats a big part of who she is. She believes that as a democrat, she is more rational, tolerant, and less prone to solving problems with violence, generally being more pro-social, especially seeing her work history as, if if I remember correctly, a social worker. So she sees the humor in a Democrat enjoying pretending to stab people in a sneaky, underhanded fashion and generally be very anti-social. For her, there is a very big irony here, ironic enough to be worth sharing with people in a social situation. In your example above, it would be like if the movie the gay man liked was filled almost entirely with scantily clad females. Its hardly crazy, but the irony is at least enough to be worth commenting on.

Though I don't want to get into a political thing, I think that yes, there are ignorant anti-gamers in both parties, but Conservatives are far more well known for pushing heavy handed culture wars that obsess over some imagined decline of "Values" or "Morals". Democrats like that exist, but for Republicans, thats their shtick.

Cobalt180

Jun 15, 2010
Tanis said:
Why would anyone be surprised?

This is the part of 'legitimate rape', Creationist 'science', BIRTHERS, and...lets face it, 99% of Faux News.

While the Dems might not be all that better...at least THEIR members don't seem to be in the closet misogynists who think saying the same lie enough times will turn it into the truth.
Actually, frighteningly enough, the brain works that way. It's been shown in neurological studies that even though we like to think we are rational people who'll make decisions with pure logic, the brain is more inclined to believe something that it's told over and over and over again.

Repetition can sadly win this, and both major parties are trying to exploit this loophole in our cognizance for their own goals. In effect, I suppose, it's already a natural form of mind control.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Lunar Templar said:
can i be your running mate? i can totally kill dragons, and gods, i have 2 titles in Vindictus to back this up :D
At the very least, the GOP will be scared of us.

Falterfire

Jul 9, 2012
CriticKitten said:
Falterfire said:
Hitting it point by point: You've proven my point: The two biggest movements in recent memories, the ones most likely to actually cause real change? Both met the same fate: The idiots were given room to talk, the reasonable voices were for the most part ignored. Letting Reasonable Senator #5 get on the public talk circuit isn't going to lead to anything fun. Letting Redneck McCrazyHead go wild? Oh that'll draw in TONS of viewers.

There may be discussions here and there, but they aren't what dominate the media, and they aren't what the eyes of millions are drawn to. If you and five friends have an enlightened discussion on a forum, that's great for you and five friends. If the AP runs a piece on numbers, but those numbers are never brought up again or covered by a major news network? Not terribly helpful.
And again the core fault in your argument seeps through: you claim that you're a majority, that most people in your party are disillusioned with its direction, and yet you also keep hammering this "appeal to popularity" bit, claiming that you couldn't possibly fix things because there are so many people against you. It can be one or the other, but not both. Either the majority disagrees with the party platform (in which case you CAN fix things) or the majority agrees with the party's direction (in which case you don't get to complain about the stereotypes associated with the party since, for the majority of your party members, they apply perfectly).

And you HAVE to have the mass media helping in order to sway the numbers required to do a party restructuring. After all, you need popular support and like it or not popular support requires you not to become a joke in the media. That's not some crack at how everybody's brainwashed, it's simple logic: The major news and advertising networks have spent years studying how to influence people and draw attention. It stands to reason that they know by now how to influence people effectively.
Again, you're either a majority or you're not. You can't be both.

Second, doesn't the fact that two major political movements have risen up in the last four years (neither of which was fueled by the television/radio media originally, but rather by social media like Facebook), not to mention the existence of folks on both sides of the aisle who correctly point out many flaws in our government, sort of prove that it's entirely possible to fix things in the long term? Of course the media tore these movements apart, they represent the growing influence of the internet and the dying influence of mainstream media sources. But like it or not, those people are going to grow up and take over the jobs currently held by these "status quo" folks. In the long run, they will be replaced by a generation with less of an irrational fear of the internet and social media. So really, they're fighting a losing battle.

As for claiming you're a democrat: I've been arguing with multiple people across quite a few posts now. I have a hunch most of them are democrat given the way they seem to automatically assume the Republican party is really staffed by nothing but gay hating rednecks.
Who is relying on stereotypes now? :p

But if you ARE an independent, that kind of proves my point: Why haven't YOU risen up and formed a party to represent you and overthrow the shackles of this stupid broken two party system? You said so yourself it isn't hard. I'm sure it shouldn't take you more than a week or so.
Oh, that's easy. I don't believe in the party system. See, I'm an advocate of a statement that a wise man once said:

Without looking forward to an extremity of this kind, (which nevertheless ought not to be entirely out of sight,) the common and continual mischiefs of the spirit of party are sufficient to make it the interest and duty of a wise people to discourage and restrain it.

It serves always to distract the Public Councils, and enfeeble the Public Administration. It agitates the Community with ill-founded jealousies and false alarms; kindles the animosity of one part against another, foments occasionally riot and insurrection. It opens the door to foreign influence and corruption, which find a facilitated access to the government itself through the channels of party passions. Thus the policy and the will of one country are subjected to the policy and will of another.

There is an opinion, that parties in free countries are useful checks upon the administration of the Government, and serve to keep alive the spirit of Liberty. This within certain limits is probably true; and in Governments of a Monarchical cast, Patriotism may look with indulgence, if not with favor, upon the spirit of party. But in those of the popular character, in Governments purely elective, it is a spirit not to be encouraged. From their natural tendency, it is certain there will always be enough of that spirit for every salutary purpose. And, there being constant danger of excess, the effort ought to be, by force of public opinion, to mitigate and assuage it. A fire not to be quenched, it demands a uniform vigilance to prevent its bursting into a flame, lest, instead of warming, it should consume.
You get a cookie if you remember who said that. If you don't, educate yourself and Google it. A shame that there are too few people in today's society that remember these wise words.

And I wasn't calling you brainwashed, I was referring to legitimate studies showing that people are always significantly more biased than they thing and our brains are more than happy to let us keep reinforcing those biases. Your brain is more than happy to brainwash itself.
That's because the brain decides very early on what it wants to think, and eventually grows rigid in those beliefs once they've decided. This is why it's much more common for young people to change political affiliations than older folks.

And yes, some politicians occasionally do stupid things. You know what doesn't get reported on? Intelligent politicians doing intelligent things. There's a one sided flow of information where only the stupid things that are, for the most part, ultimately meaningless slips of the tongue or idiocy from people who don't deserve the spotlight in the first place is most of what we see.
You know what else doesn't get reported on very often? Teachers who do a good job teaching. Or police officers who do a good job protecting innocent life. Or firefighters who save lives. Yet we hear plenty of talks about how "useless" these people are whenever there's a contract dispute. Fox News in particular is especially eager to jump on these individuals, claiming they make a bajillion dollars a year and that they're just greedy and corrupt people seeking only their own benefits.

Fact of the matter is, bad news is the easiest kind of news to report. Good news isn't.

Long route through to say: The system is broken. It's not easy to fix. Stop pretending it isn't broken or that it isn't incredibly difficult to fix.
I'm not pretending it isn't broken, I'm saying that it's not incredibly difficult to fix. It's something that the parties could easily do if they wanted to, but they don't. They prefer it this way. People are easier to control when they're less educated on the issues (thanks to poor media coverage), discouraged from voting, and in general discouraged from standing up for their beliefs. The fact that you just roll over and accept that your party has been taken over by a hostile minority is proof positive that what they're doing is working, and your party will never be fixed so long as you throw up your hands and quit. There are outstanding members of your party who realize the problems with it. If you would try to rally behind them, you'd have a better shot. Heck, Ron Paul's been trying to save your party for years, and while he has problems of his own, the fact that most of your party refuses to at least acknowledge the sentiment behind his platform is very indicative of the problems your party faces. :p
At this point I think we're pretty much done here, as there's not a whole lot more either of us can say helpfully to the other, so a few closing comments:

I agree with you and George Washington on the party system being a bad plan. In fact, it seems that I agree with your basic points on quite a few things. Were we arguing in person instead of facelessly through the internet I have a hunch we'd pretty quickly have resolved this instead of quibbling over details. SIDENOTE: If you think you don't agree with my points, I can assure you that given I agree with yours it's probably because I have not articulated my points in the manner which I meant to.

So I guess that's my closing bit: We agree on more things than we don't, and it's time for me to go be angry at other people rather than pushing the few remaining details.

subtlefuge

Lord Cromulent
May 21, 2010
If it were not for the fact that there is a link from the party website to the Colleen's World site, I would definitely think that it was created to discredit the Republican party. I guess I was just hoping that is was sneaky and backhanded manipulation rather than just stupidity.

Robert Ewing

Mar 2, 2011
Is this a tactic to get the elderly population, afraid of video games and high fantasy on their side? Because if so, mission really not accomplished.

Kinguendo

Apr 10, 2009
Another reason people such as myself who are on the outside looking in can laugh at the Republicans and their harmful ideals, must suck to be American and have the constant threat of the Republicans hanging over your head.

Caverat

Jun 11, 2010
Not surprising. Not that it matters though, if you support the republican party you probably also support things like the NRA, which is the legitimate business branch of the KKK. Basically, you and the muslims are competing to see who can ruin the world first.

RvLeshrac

This is a Forum Title.
Oct 2, 2008
Kingpopadopalus said:
Gearhead mk2 said:
Falterfire said:
The reason why there are intelligent people who support the Republican party is usually because of a belief in the economic plans and ideals of the Republican party, not really the social aspect. Plus the other issue with two parties is that once a party takes a position, the other party automatically becomes the place for supporters of the opposite position. So even if we'd like to shift focus to economics, the retards who are still 'lulgayzsuck' will attach to the Republican party because the Democratic party supported gay rights first.

Honestly, I'd like to see gay marriage legalized. That's the only way the issue can resolve anyways. But I'd like much more for us to get something resembling a coherent economic plan going, and if that means having to also draw support from people who oppose gay marriage, then that's what I'm going to have to do. (Feel free to criticize my priorities here. As I am not gay, gay rights obviously rank lower on my personal priority list than they could)

That's really the center of the problem with a two party system obviously: I'm stuck in a position where I have to pick a party even though both of them say a number of things I really really don't agree with. The political system is definitely broken, but that doesn't mean all the people are stupid. It just means we're at a point where there's no easy fix to the increasingly terrible quagmire that is American politics.
Well, there is. Just stop voting in idiots. Keep Obama in for another term or two, he's at least trying to sort stuff out. As far as I can tell, the only reason he hasn't fixed everything allready is because of all the bloody companies and right-wing military types getting in his way.
No offense to you or anything you support but he had 2 years of a democratic senate and a democratic house. There is no reason he could not pass what he wanted to besides the fact that even democrats disagreed with what he was about to do. Especially the "stimulus" plan that actually worsened the economy than what was projected without it. I mean, it's great he killed Osama with what he called "Cheney's private assassination squad" (according to a chain e-mail, that's about all I can find on it). He's done a lot, but a lot of good, that's for the people to decide and I personally disagree with his economic plan. I just don't agree with tripling the deficit withing the first year of your presidency with a stimulus bill that didn't work.

I am a fiscal conservative but yet I'm a social liberal, I believe that gays should have a right to marry like everyone else but I also believe that there is such a thing as the "deserving poor".
This is the kind of two-bit Republican bullshit that the rest of us deride. He had full control for six months, which wasn't actually control since there are quite a few Democratic congressmen in conservative districts who consistently vote with the Republicans on many issues. In that time, he tried to work with the Republicans and Teabaggers toward compromise on various issues, which they absolutely REFUSED. Not only were they refusing to compromise, they were refusing to even bring their own ideas and plans to the table.

You cannot run a government when half of it is outright refusing to even consider the smallest fraction of the ideas of the other half.

I don't have a problem with the Rand Pauls and the Paul Ryans of congress, who are obstructionist because they genuinely believe their bullshit. I have a problem with the rest of the Republicans, who don't actually give a damn about the condition of this country or the people in it. Unless, of course, they make more than $10 million a year.

I care about facts. I care about data. I care about statistics. All of them, over the last fifty years, support the economic policies of the Democrats more than the Republicans. We had no national debt to speak of prior to Reagan's incredibly stupid tax cut for the rich. When Bush 41, at the end of his term, and Clinton worked to reign this in, the main bloc of the Republican party attempted to destroy everything they accomplished, succeeding in SPADES with Bush 43 and his worthless war in Iraq, a war which has cost us dearly.

Now we have a Republican candidate for President who wants to cut the taxes of the rich even more, claiming they "pay too much." The last time the top marginal tax rate was this low was IMMEDIATELY prior to the Great Depression, and the reduction in taxes can be directly tied to the decline of the economy at that time. It took a World War and an increase in the top marginal rate to 90% for us to recover.

Recover we did, for thirty years, until Kennedy decided to cut the rate to 70%. Then the unemployment rate rose dramatically. Cut to 50% by Reagan. Tenfold increase in the national debt. Cut to the 30s by Reagan and Bush 41: Increased debt, increased deficit. Increased to 40% by Clinton: Suddenly, we're running a surplus, with rampant growth in every sector. Then bush reduces the rate to 36%. Massive unemployment. 35%. Increased unemployment. 30%. EXPLOSIVE unemployment.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_QITxTOj_Djg/TVBKivqx-EI/AAAAAAAAAEA/PGH3CWC05qM/s1600/TaxAndGrowChained.png They say a picture is worth a thousand words. Here's a chart of the top marginal rate vs chained-GDP over time.