Senate Unanimously Approves Making Daylight Savings Time Permanent

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Just had a friend visit Victoria who has Daylights Savings. Thought it was the worse. Could not agree more

You don't lose anytime. Time does not work like that

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
The bill, known as the Sunshine Protection Act, earned 17 cosponsors from both parties in the upper chamber and was passed by unanimous consent. Senator Marco Rubio, a Republican from Florida, has long been a proponent of making the clock change permanent and led the push to pass the bill.

"The good news is if we can get this passed, we don't have to keep doing this stupidity anymore," Rubio said on the Senate floor. "Hopefully this is the year that this gets done and, pardon the pun, but this is an idea whose time has come."
Fuck Florida. God damn.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
I hav unexpectedly strong feelings about this.

Not that it happened, because it's needed to, but because we aren't A) sticking with Standard Time or B) realizing that the problem is where the hour sits in the first place and we should've just shifted it a half-hour as a compromise

Generals

Elite Member
May 19, 2020
Reactions: Satinavian

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Ah god I hate the clock change. Spring forward, fall back? How about you fuck off instead? Farmers aren't getting up in the dark to claim their fallow-land subsidies!

Well that’s just the thing; it’s trading morning light for evening light. The old “9-5” argument is kind of a joke too as highways are full of cars shortly after 7 AM when I’m going to work. It’ll still be close to setting when I leave at 5 too.

I always thought Ben Franklin started it but that’s not exactly the case. He apparently favored morning light (“early to bed, early to rise”), which is the opposite of DST.

They say it’ll be better for after school stuff with kids but now they’ll just be waiting at dark bus stops in the morning. The sun will still be setting way too early too. I think we’d be better off just sticking to standard time since DST was kinda stupid and pointless in the first place.

The article says, “good”, but illustrates standard time as being more beneficial in terms of reasonable sunrise/sunset times across the U.S. at least.

Last edited:

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Last edited:

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
Glad I don't live wherever that was decided upon.

I'm quite fond of my switcharoos with the clock.

I like being able to see the sun in the morning before going out in the winter.

I also like not getting woken up by the sun at 4AM in the summer and I quite enjoy it still being light out at 9:30pm-10pm.

Reactions: Thaluikhain

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
Glad I don't live wherever that was decided upon.

I'm quite fond of my switcharoos with the clock.

I like being able to see the sun in the morning before going out in the winter.

I also like not getting woken up by the sun at 4AM in the summer and I quite enjoy it still being light out at 9:30pm-10pm.
If they go with permanent daylight savings, the only one of those problems that exists is seeing the sun in the morning before going outside in the winter, which could pretty cleanly be resolved by sleeping in all winter.