Senior GAME Execs Warned of Looming Administration

Tentaquil

Oct 21, 2011
Well looks like it's off to game to spend some reward points on what i've heard are ridiculously cheap games.

piratejames

Oct 16, 2009
I work in a Gamestation, it's pretty weird times for us. I like my job, so I really hope we don't go under.

Eternal Skies

Mar 2, 2011

Well that sucks... I've been shopping at GAME since I was a kid, They used to open up the store after hours for me when I approached and everything, heheh.

*Le Sigh*

UltraPic

Dec 5, 2011
piratejames said:
I work in a Gamestation, it's pretty weird times for us. I like my job, so I really hope we don't go under.
Whats it like to hear loads of people say they want you to lose your job :D . But i suppose gamestation shops might get lucky since most of the one's i frequent are still the same shops that they were before the game take over, so selling them off as independent game shops is a big option.

Raspien

Aug 9, 2008
I work at a GAME store in Portsmouth and it really will be a bit of a shame to see the company go. I have only worked there for about a year but in that time its been such a cool place to chat to customers about upcoming video games and get them excited about it, dress up for midnight launches and even help old ladies with the puzzles they are stuck on in Prof. Layton!

If we go down then the only places that folks can buy games is online which is fine and all but loses alot of the cool factor of coming in on the first day and chatting to all of us about how awesome the game is etc.

Also about 90% of our customers are usually lost mothers wondering around struggling to find something good for their approaching child's birthday. This happens all the time and so we get to ask them what sort of games they are into etc and then recommend some. Its a really nice feeling to help people out like that, that's the joy of working in a place that sells items solely for entertainment.

When GAME goes then I believe it will be very sad because these awesome customers we get will have to do their game shopping at Tesco or Wall-mart or some other monolithic superstore where they wont be aided by enthusiastic game staff who are all gamers themselves but instead by general Tesco staff.

All in all, customer service costs money. Harsh truth.

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
piratejames said:
I don't think you will lose your job. The company being so close to administration means it isn't going to bought until it does. The administration process means that most of the companies debts will be written off against the sale price of the company, where as buying it now means those debts will still be owed. The senior staff will lose their jobs, but running the numbers that are in the public domain the company would still be making a profit if it wasn't for the debt repayments, so the shop floor should be safeish. Best of luck to you, I hope you keep your job.

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
F said:
If they weren't so overpriced normally they could be doing well.
I doubt it.

BTW, I like your avatar pick. Nice to see someone other than me who has played Silver. I recently saw a petition for a sequel.

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
razer17 said:
Went into GameStation and Game earlier today to check out the firesales, and Game is still more expensive. Anyway, picked up 5 Xbox 360 games for £10.40, so that's a good deal. Might pop up again tomorrow to see what I missed.
Got there earlier today to find I'd missed the main party. I did get 11 games for £17, which is pretty amazing. I was upset they didn't reduce Hotel Dusk for under £7, grrr.

F'Angus

Nov 18, 2009
Terramax said:
F said:
If they weren't so overpriced normally they could be doing well.
I doubt it.

BTW, I like your avatar pick. Nice to see someone other than me who has played Silver. I recently saw a petition for a sequel.
Thanks. I really wish they would make a sequel...or at least re-release the game on steam.. my old copy doesn't work any more, which is a shame because it's such a good game.

JokerboyJordan

Sep 6, 2009
JasonKaotic said:
As long as we have CEX, I do not care. Because CEX is awesome and cheap and awesome.
You're saying that CEX is cheap?
Huh, down where I am they massively overcharge for everything, all their pre-owned games are the same price it costs to buy them new, or otherwise the price difference is negligible.

OriginalLadders

Sep 29, 2011
The majority of the used games they sold could be bought cheaper, brand new, at any supermarket with a games section.

Their failure as a business is unsurprising.

JasonKaotic

Mar 18, 2009
JokerboyJordan said:
JasonKaotic said:
As long as we have CEX, I do not care. Because CEX is awesome and cheap and awesome.
You're saying that CEX is cheap?
Huh, down where I am they massively overcharge for everything, all their pre-owned games are the same price it costs to buy them new, or otherwise the price difference is negligible.
Really? In Gloucester most games range £6 - £14 in CEX. Most of them. There are a few more expensive ones. Though I remember Skyrim was £20 there when it first came out, which speaks for itself.

Wookie 1

Apr 3, 2010
I went into my local game earlier. Must be the only one where prices havent dropped at all. Or if they have only by £5-10 making them still more expensive.

jackanderson

Sep 7, 2008
How on earth has no-one linked this video into the thread, yet?
OT: I don't care what anybody says, I'm sad to see them go. I've been shopping at GAME and Gamestation for most of my life (what with them being the only video game shops in town bar HMV) so this is like Woolworths all over again for me.

I said they wouldn't survive the month and I am super depressed that I was right about that.