Senior GAME Execs Warned of Looming Administration

Baneat

Jul 18, 2008
Gamestop must be pretty damn close to having to file for monopoly in high-street game trading. Smaller games vendors already have a tough time coping with GAME and Gamestation duking it out, now there's just the behemoth Gamestop to contend with.

JasonKaotic said:
JokerboyJordan said:
JasonKaotic said:
As long as we have CEX, I do not care. Because CEX is awesome and cheap and awesome.
You're saying that CEX is cheap?
Huh, down where I am they massively overcharge for everything, all their pre-owned games are the same price it costs to buy them new, or otherwise the price difference is negligible.
Really? In Gloucester most games range £6 - £14 in CEX. Most of them. There are a few more expensive ones. Though I remember Skyrim was £20 there when it first came out, which speaks for itself.
This is what CEX is for:

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Well there goes my Assassins Creed 3 Pre-Order...

Ahh well...Grainger Games will be getting a fuck ton of new customers very soon...And if Gamestation closes, i may just cry :(

Hopefully they will get bought by another company, hell even if it is GameStop, i don't care, the people who work at my local Game are genuinely nice people, it would be sad to see them get out of work =\

Frizzle

Nov 11, 2008
Kumagawa Misogi said:
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/331628/hmv-may-reduce-focus-on-games-as-sales-decline/

Well that's the end of buying physical copies of games from retail stores.

But who cares, Amazon and Play.com are far cheaper and have a wider selection and better customer service?, how the hell have Game and HMV lasted this long anyway?.
I'm totally with you on cheap prices and not being dicked over by businesses, but you also have to remember that if all we ever did was order things online, most of the population would be out of work.. Think about how many people local businesses employ. You may not work in one, but someone does, and it provides them a job.

We should be demanding better local services, rather than trying to cut out businesses where people work.

MadMechanic

Nov 6, 2009
Jodah said:
Ahh, fun times. Ever since the crap they pulled with the Space Marine launch I've been hoping they would go under, even though I live in the US where they don't exist.
Forgive me for asking this (genuine curiosity, I don't want this to sound hostile), but what was the 'crap they pulled' with the launch?

I am in the UK, and bought my copy from GAME - admittedly I bought it a week after release after trading in CoD:BO, so I probably missed any BS they pulled.

Onto topic -
GAME, well, I've been a loyal customer - but I'm not sure why. Guess me and my Dad just decided it was easier to continue with GAME, after they bought Electronics Boutique. That, and they always had a much better stock than HMV (or...used to)
Gamestation, despite being GAME, has always been cheaper for me. but since I've only ever seen 1 brick and mortar store (in my old home town), I rarely buy from them.

Jodah

Aug 2, 2008
MadMechanic said:
Jodah said:
Ahh, fun times. Ever since the crap they pulled with the Space Marine launch I've been hoping they would go under, even though I live in the US where they don't exist.
Forgive me for asking this (genuine curiosity, I don't want this to sound hostile), but what was the 'crap they pulled' with the launch?

I am in the UK, and bought my copy from GAME - admittedly I bought it a week after release after trading in CoD:BO, so I probably missed any BS they pulled.

Onto topic -
GAME, well, I've been a loyal customer - but I'm not sure why. Guess me and my Dad just decided it was easier to continue with GAME, after they bought Electronics Boutique. That, and they always had a much better stock than HMV (or...used to)
Gamestation, despite being GAME, has always been cheaper for me. but since I've only ever seen 1 brick and mortar store (in my old home town), I rarely buy from them.
When Space Marine was released GAME forced THQ to not release it on Steam in the UK. Even though the game used Steamworks you could not purchase it via Steam. Now granted that likely would not have saved THQ from the financial woes they are currently going through or vastly increased the community size for Space Marine but it certainly would have helped in some way. I'm not sure if it's still blocked across the pond or not but the fact it happened at all pissed me off.

Daemonate

Jun 7, 2010
It's a shame, they are the best retail chain in Australia. Maybe different management to overseas?

I hope we keep our stores here down under.

MadMechanic

Nov 6, 2009
Jodah said:
When Space Marine was released GAME forced THQ to not release it on Steam in the UK. Even though the game used Steamworks you could not purchase it via Steam. Now granted that likely would not have saved THQ from the financial woes they are currently going through or vastly increased the community size for Space Marine but it certainly would have helped in some way. I'm not sure if it's still blocked across the pond or not but the fact it happened at all pissed me off.
Ah right, cheers for clearing that up.
Certainly explains why some of my fellow British astartes over on the B&C forums were pissed off at GAME.
Whilst I'm predominantly a 360 gamer, I do have Steam, and AFAIK, Space Marine was still blocked back in December.

Spud of Doom

Feb 24, 2011
We never had those guys here in NZ. I wish this would happen with EBgames though. I'd be able to dominate their firesale and then hope some of the local businesses they've eaten in the past 10 years or so manage to appear again.