Sequels everyone wants but stupid companies won't make

doomgaze3

Nov 29, 2007
Also known as "Metroid Syndrome", this disease plagues a number of illustrious franchises.

For example, SimCity 4 was a fantastic example of what could be done with the franchise. But, after making SC4, EA tried to satiate us with half-assed knockoffs and console versions of the beloved classic. Instead of giving us the real updated sequel that everyone wants, they try to placate us with stupid crap like SimCity Societies, SimCity Creator, etc. Slap a new coat of paint on it, fix the bugs and give us some gameplay tweaks. It'll sell like gangbusters, I guarantee.

This happened yet again with (no, I'm not joking) BattleToads. BattleToads was an excellent take on the beat 'em up genre - especially the seminal arcade version. However, even with today's console focus on more mature games and co-op gameplay, we still have yet to see another 'toads game. What better chance to update one of Rare's original and best IP than to make a great co-op game with violently offensive cartoons than on Xbox360?

Rare also continually ignores the pleas of it's fans when it comes to Killer Instinct 3. Gamers have been clamoring for a sequel to this seminal fighter franchise ever since their N64s became doorstops or fell victim to the pawn shop. Rumors of a sequel persist even to this day as Rare continually denies them, proving the consistent popularity of the series. Are they blind or stupid?

With the recent success of BioShock, you'd think EA would be all over System Shock 3 with a vengeance. However, no information has been forthcoming and, indeed, EA seems to be ignoring the huge pile of money they could make from the 'Shock license. EA. The publisher that invented whoring out their franchises. Won't even think about whoring out a license they've been SITTING ON for years. W. T. F.

Does this kind of crap seriously piss anyone else off? What series would you like to see updated for modern consoles?

ix_tab

Apr 25, 2009
GIMME MY ETERNAL DARKNESS TWO :mad:

It's one of the only games that I genuinely want a sequel for.

The Iron Ninja

Aug 13, 2008
I'm sorry, but did you just put the words "Stupid companies", "Won't make" and "sequels" into the same sentence?

I think the need for original content far outweighs the need for more companies to continue doing nothing but making sequel after sequel.

DoctorNick

Oct 31, 2007
Darkside360 said:
Homeworld 3 PC
This.

I'm also tempted to say another REAL Fallout game (zing!), but that just seems a little petty considering that I did enjoy the hell out of Fallout 3.

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
River City Ransom
Eternal Darkness
Dungeon Keeper
Carnivores

Those are what come to my mind at the moment.

TheMadDoctorsCat

Apr 2, 2008
The Iron Ninja said:
I'm sorry, but did you just put the words "Stupid companies", "Won't make" and "sequels" into the same sentence?

I think the need for original content far outweighs the need for more companies to continue doing nothing but making sequel after sequel.
I agree, as far as it goes for Games That Aren't System Shock Sequels. I know I've ripped up FEAR a lot recently (quite deservedly, it's terrible) but it baffles me that they give THAT a sequel, but won't do a sequel to System Shock 2?

Voltano

Dec 11, 2008
I would love to see a sequel to "Demon's Crest", a platformer Capcom did on the SNES as a sequel to the Gargoyle's Quest series.

"Mega man Legends" would be another cool series to see again. Though I agree with "The Iron Ninja" that original content would be more necessary then releasing the same thing but with updated graphics.

Jul 9, 2008
The Iron Ninja said:

Exactly. I want Psychonauts 2, but I'd prefer that Shaffer do exactly what he is: working on new IPs like Brutal Legend.

dorm41baggins

Feb 24, 2009
BlackJack47 said:
Monkey Island 5 plzzzzzzzzz but not in 3D k thnx lol
What have you got against 3D? MI4 may not have been the strongest of the series, but it wasn't the fault of the engine. As long as the style of humor is faithful and the puzzles are well done, I say bring on the full-immersion VR holodeck-style rendition of Monkey Island. ;-)

But yes, I most heartily agree with your desire for more Monkey Island.