Serious Bugs Prompt Japanese RPG Recall

Quaidis

Jun 1, 2008
I can't wait until this game releases on other sections of this planet. It looks all out spiffy. You can never have enough Tales of games.

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
Hmm...well, I'm glad they caught it in Japan before we got it. Especially since I'm planning to get this game if (hell, I'm an optimist, when) it arrives.

That is pretty cool of them, though. Certainly better than an apology and a blind eye, for certain other companies...

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
Tsk tsk. How does something like that slip through playtesting? Or did no one bother to playtest it after its translation?

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
squid5580 said:
Couldn't they patch it? I mean it is really cool that they would do an actual recall and exchange the disc on your porch but damn. This is gonna cost them in the short run. Which they will probably double in profits over it in the long run.
Well they honestly shouldn't have sent out a broken game in the first place, if you think about it.

Crabturtleking

Jun 2, 2009
RJ Dalton said:
Tsk tsk. How does something like that slip through playtesting? Or did no one bother to playtest it after its translation?
I believe most, if not all of the bugs occur in the second playthrough, and Graces has yet to be translated. Tales games are generally long and this was supposed to be the longest yet, so it's somewhat understandable that they missed these bugs. Brilliant idea to deliver them manually though.

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
Amnestic said:
where a delivery person comes to your door and exchanges the disc personally.
That's awesome.

No, really.

This won't really hurt Namco-Bandai (Namdai? NamBan? Bamco?), though it is interesting to see considering how rare they are.
I was about to say "That is gangster."

Screw the bugs, people coming to your house to replace the disk is worthy of an award seriously.

SMOKEMNHALO2001

Sep 10, 2008
squid5580 said:
Couldn't they patch it? I mean it is really cool that they would do an actual recall and exchange the disc on your porch but damn. This is gonna cost them in the short run. Which they will probably double in profits over it in the long run.
It's on the Wii, it would be hell. I know one game in japan was released with bugs and there were no patches planed because the Wii online doesn't work that way. I think a game in the U.S. had the same problem. Companies had a rough time doing DLC for the Wii.

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
Hah, Karma for cutting costs on Tales of Symphonia 2.

...*sits in a corner muttering bitterly to herself*

Awexsome

Were it so easy
Mar 25, 2009
I love the Tales games. I haven't played very many of them (only Symphonia and Vesperia) but so far they're my favorite RPG to date.

They still don't expect too much of a showing outside of Japan though, which is why Vesperia was suprisingly made for the 360 then remade for the PS3 only in Japan with some added features. Shame on them for letting such a massive problem get through but kudos for going this much out of their way to fix it.

New Frontiersman

Feb 2, 2010
This is good for me, it's like Japan is my own personal Quality Control. They test out all the Japanese games for bugs before they ship them here, thus ensuring a better playing experience for me! Thank you Japan! I'm really looking forward to you releasing this game in America!

I do love the Tales Series, Symphonia is high on the list of my all-time favorite games ever. And I've been looking forward to this game for awhile now.

gim73

Jul 17, 2008
And the number 1 bug: oh crap, we made an rpg for the WII? EPIC FAIL! No doubt they will do a remake of it for the ps3, just like they made a remake of symphonia for the ps2 and only released it in japan. The game was good, but I wouldn't waste my money on a nintendo system just for that one game.

Deleted

Jul 25, 2009
Worst bug was that it ran on the Wii and not the Xbox. Zing!

Edit: dammit Jim!

Brad Shepard

Sep 9, 2009
squid5580 said:
what about hte poor gamers that have no online connections?

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
SUPA FRANKY said:
Thats...you party? They just look girlier and girlier every game.
It's quite clear which of the people on the cover are male and which are female. It's not as if they're pulling a Bridget on you.

DoW Lowen

Exarch
Jan 11, 2009
JRPG's always takes months to be released outside of Japan. Damn, must be revenge for keeping some of them prisoner during WW2.

Olrod

Feb 11, 2010
Sneaklemming said:
vampire the masquerade bloodlines released with a game ending bug, that cut you off half-way thru the game... its one of my favourite games, but releasing a game with game-ending bugs is not acceptable, and its nice to see a company do the right thing and recall a game, instead of just releasing a patch and saying though...
It's a shame Lionhead Studios never did anything similar with Fable 2, and instead lost a customer of all future Lionhead Studios games.

the_tramp

May 16, 2008
So does this mean that the game has now just become... valuable? I.E. In 10-20 years time it'll be a collectors item to have the buggy version of the game?