Serious Sam 3 Ready to Tan in Summer

Isalan

Jun 9, 2008
BFE - Before Fad Erodes?

Still, I do like a bit of Serious Sam. The cutting heavy weight political commentary from the last games stays with me to this day.

That, and the shooting people :)

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
I'm curious how they'll design the levels. I played the first Serious Sam on PC, the second I picked up on the PS2 for cheap. The first is obviously considered better than the other, but why?

If people want to take what they've learned from the past two weeks Extra Credit's, how to play like a designer, consider the first Serious Sam. It was fun because it was a throwback to the old school Doom 2 style shooters, walking through narrow corridors and open rooms strafing and blasting enemies with shotgons, miniguns, plasma guns, and rocket launchers. But the most noteworhy feature was the massive open room encounters found as a sort of 'boss encounter' throughout the game. The first memorial experience coming maybe an hour into the game, where you're in a huge columned room and enemies come flying at you from everywhere. For Serious Sam 2 however, the design decision seemed to go something like "those big massive encounters really made the game, lets add way more!" Good idea in theory, but in practice when the game basically became one long sequence of massive encounter to massive encounter... it lost its charm and became rather dull.

So hopefully they learned from that and this next one will be more appropriately paced like the first.

L4Y Duke

Nov 24, 2007
lacktheknack said:
I was seriously not enthused until I saw "Gatling Shotgun".

Want.
Serious Sam 2.

And it wasn't a gatling shotgun per-say in terms of rapid-fire capabilities, moreso the revolving barrel thing.

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
Broken Orange said:
Bulletstorm, Duke Nukem and Serious Sam? I don't think the world can take that amount of seriousness.

I am calling it. 2011 will be the year of the arcade shooter.
You took the words straight from my thought processing center.

adam5396

Feb 12, 2010
I am seriously excited for this. But at the same time I'm kinda pissed. There's no way I can handle 2011 now without at least 1 head explosion. Not counting ones that may happen while playing the game.

Either way, my excited Must remain serious. *Puts on Serious Face*

KDR_11k

Feb 10, 2009
I'm guessing Beyond the Final Encounter, boring as a name but seems likely.

Kinda funny to think that Second Encounter made fun of DNF and now the fourth game comes out in the same year as DNF...

I don't like how Serious Sam spawns more and more monsters in killrooms, I prefer having all of them spawn at the same time so it really feels like I'm reducing their numbers. That's one of the reasons I like Earth Defense Force 2 better.

Serious Samuel

Jan 19, 2009
So, Serious Sam 3, The Elder Scrolls: Skyrim and (probably) Guild Wars 2 all coming this year? My three favourite game series ever?

This is going to be a good year.

Quiet Stranger

Feb 4, 2006
I loved Serious Sam The First Encounter and The Second Encounter, if the third one isn't like those it will suck ass completely. They just went to hell when they turned goofy, fucking stupid Croteam....or whoever made the other SS games that weren't the very first two.

Outlaw Torn

Dec 24, 2008
BFE could be...

Brains Flying Everywhere
Bullets For Everyone
Battle For Earth
Breast Feeding Elephants
Big Fantastic Elastic
Boobs For Earl

mexicola

Feb 10, 2010
Excellent, so far I've played every single Serious Sam game and I don't plan on missing out on the next one.

Also, my guess for BFE = Battle for Earth,