Server Screw Up Kills MMO

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Server Screw Up Kills MMO

Japanese MMO M2 has been shut down after the game was accidentally deleted during server maintenance.

M2 was taken offline at 8PM on the 21st of October due to a "critical issue" one of the game's main servers. Whatever the problem was, it's kind of a moot point now, because the game isn't coming back. Neither current game operators Hangame nor Sankando, the original developer, could restore the game data, and this seems to be another case of developers playing fast and loose when it comes to backups. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/113668-Project-Zomboid-Derailed-By-Burglary]

M2 had a fairly small user base, but it was heavily based around microtransactions and premium items, so chances are there's more than a few angry players lamenting their lost time and money. Hangame is issuing "conditional" refunds to certain players.

The shutdown brings the whole microtransction model into question. If persistent games can disappear so abruptly, and for such an easily avoidable reason, then all of a sudden those fancy in-game items don't seem like such a solid investment. Now if you'll excuse me, I've got some hats to sell.

Source: Igxpro [http://igxpro.net/2011/11/10/hangame-brings-sad-news-mmo-m2-lost-forever-due-to-critical-server-issue/1511503]

Gxas

Sep 4, 2008
Wait... So... They deleted the game off of their servers?

How does this happen, exactly?

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
Grey Carter said:
Now if you'll excuse me, I've got some hats to sell.

I will gladly purchase your hats, good sir, for I am not poor and Irish.

Obligatory: Stout Shako for two refined?!

OT: Just imagine if this happened to WoW. Oh the rage that would be incurred.

ckam

Make America Great For Who?
Oct 8, 2008
I laughed at this when I saw this story on the Complex. It actually looked like a cutesy game.

Slythernite

Jan 25, 2009
Gxas said:
Wait... So... They deleted the game off of their servers?

How does this happen, exactly?
That's exactly what I was thinking. Wow. That's... quite something that happened there...

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
How does a blunder that big happen?
Incompetence, plain and simple. No backups? Idiotic rookie mistake. Having the ability to accidentally delete it ALL so easily? Idiotic rookie mistake #2.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
That's sorta impressive.

Part of me hopes that this is revealed to have been done deliberately to manipulate finances in some way, but that'd require alot of skullduggery with transactions to have been going on beforehand.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
Sleekit said:
no backups for a online MMO isn't so much a mistake as highly, highly suspicious.
Hanlon's Razor. Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

PrinceOfShapeir

Mar 27, 2011
Wo-ooow. Somebody was wearing some serious clown shoes. What a bunch of assclowns, how do you -delete- the entire MMO?

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
Grey Carter said:
The shutdown brings the whole microtransction model into question. If persistent games can disappear so abruptly, and for such an easily avoidable reason, then all of a sudden those fancy in-game items don't seem like such a solid investment. Now if you'll excuse me, I've got some hats to sell.
maybe through THESE brain donors (seriously HOW do you fuck up that bad to begin with, and WHY where there no back ups -.- dumb asses)

but microtransactions, depending on who running them and whats for sale are no more 'better spent' then paying say ... Blizzard $15 a month JUST to play the game, you spent $79.97 (actual pre-tax price for all of it at game stop atm) getting the game + expansions.

JemothSkarii

Thanks!
Nov 9, 2010
They accidentally their entire MMO.

EDIT: Obligatory 'This is not a short post' filler, and you will have read this, which means it caught your eye ^^

midknight129

Apr 1, 2011
Kopikatsu said:
Sleekit said:
no backups for a online MMO isn't so much a mistake as highly, highly suspicious.
Hanlon's Razor. Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.
Heinlein's Razor Revised: Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity, but don't rule out malice.