Set your own map marker!

Extragorey

Dec 24, 2010
EDIT: The map no longer seems to be allowing new markers, so consider this thread dead. Feel free to look at the markers already there, though. There's over 200 of them.

Just for fun, I decided to mark all sorts of random things on a map. People, places, cultures, obscure media references... You name it.
I decided to make this map this map publicly accessible and editable, so you too can add whatever you want to it!
So here's the gig: Look at the map [http://www.mapservices.org/myguestmap/map/Extragorey], then double-click somewhere to place a marker. You can make it a humourous reference if you want, or you can just mark the location of your favourite pizza. If you're worried about privacy, just place the marker while fully zoomed out, as that will make it fairly inaccurate.

Obviously I will be moderating this, so if any inappropriate markers are placed I'll remove them the next time I check the map.

And to add some more discussion value, I guess you can talk about your additions to the map here or comment on existing markers.

Also note that you can set a URL, which is accessed by clicking on the marker's title. This can be a great way to provide context to seemingly obscure references, or to share an awesome video or article!

Have fun!

UPDATE: To make things more interesting, I've decided to leave out simple "X was here" markers in favour of more entertaining markers. So try to make them interesting for other people to read too. :)
And don't forget to add links to your markers! If nothing else, just link to a larger version of the image you uploaded, or if you didn't upload an image then link to a related Wikipedia page to provide some context.

Extragorey

Dec 24, 2010
SmashLovesTitanQuest said:
No ones said anything about stalkers yet.

...STALKER! *runs away*
Extragorey said:
If you're worried about privacy, just place the marker while fully zoomed out, as that will make it fairly inaccurate.
I, for example, go by the name of Jules, but the marker I put on Australia's east coast is nowhere near where I actually live; it's that general eastern Australian area, but that's about as accurate as it gets.

Extragorey

Dec 24, 2010
SmashLovesTitanQuest said:
Hell, just go look at the map. I marked myself so I'm obviously not worried about stalkers, although I made it a little inaccurate.
Might want to read my edited first post. ;)

Extragorey

Dec 24, 2010
Isaac The Grape said:
So, we high or just tired?
Excuse me?
Bored, obviously, though I probably should be getting some sleep soon.

I still think it's an interesting idea, cos I just found this website a few hours ago.
Trying to get the map as full as possible with awesome jokes and references. I've put up about a dozen myself now.

bobmus

Full Frontal Nerdity
May 25, 2010
I contributed a few of the random skulls around the place, ya know, just because.

Isaac The Grape said:
Can I get a HELL YEAH in this thread tonight!
HELL YEAH

Esotera

May 5, 2011
This thread has the potential to be absolutely awesome, I love these collaborative things. Anyway, I've already done one jokeish one, so I'll add a more serious one perhaps with a photo of the place.

Extragorey

Dec 24, 2010
Esotera said:
This thread has the potential to be absolutely awesome, I love these collaborative things.
Well, let's hope some more activity picks up then. :)
I've also sent the link around to a few friends, so we'll see what they come up with.

yeti585

Apr 1, 2012
I saw the "kilroy was here" engraving on the WWII monument when I was in Washington D.C. People did not seem to notice it even though it is in broad daylight.

TakeyB0y2

A Mistake
Jun 24, 2011
I marked the location of a really emo tree in Calgary. If I'm ever feeling not lazy I'll go down there and take a picture :p

rayen020

May 20, 2009
marked the place i made a snow angel in Kentucky last winter.

Captcha; tastes like chicken... when i'm talking about Kentucky...