Settlers 7 DRM Problems Still Unresolved

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
Ultimately, it's time to get out the "We Told You So" again. You have to marvel at how increadably stubborn/naive/fucking stupid (delete as appropreate) Ubisoft are over this whole issue.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Come on Ubi...take the hint and just drop it.

Obviously you need to back to the drawing board! Real pain for your customers, y'know?

I wonder how long it's actually gonna take em

GamingAwesome1

May 22, 2009
Uh, hello? Anyone home in the sensible part of Ubisoft? Appaerntly not.

I think it's pretty obvious by now that this DRM doesn't work. It's already been cracked so the pirates are unaffected so the only ones it's hurting are legitimate customers. Many have vowed to stop buying Ubisoft games in general, including myself.

Give it up, Ubisoft. This is only hurting your sales and your fans.

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
Nimbus said:
Ugh, their crappy always-on DRM has already been cracked. Why are they still using it?
Because they are retards and it also took them 18 months to stop using starforce?

Flour

Mar 20, 2008
Nimbus said:
Ugh, their crappy always-on DRM has already been cracked. Why are they still using it?
If you spent millions developing a system and buying (a few) servers to (hopefully) handle (maybe half) the clients connected to it, you wouldn't want to abandon it after a few months.

On a somewhat related note, I just saw on some torrent site that Assassins Creed 2 can be played offline.

geizr

Oct 9, 2008
Looks like I will not be buying games from Ubisoft for a long time to come.

I don't like DRM myself, but I do understand the business need to somehow protect assets. However, at the same time, completely pissing-off your customer base is not a sound business strategy. It seems so many content publishers have to learn the hard, common-sense lesson that without a customer, a business cannot exist(DRM or no DRM).

Anyone have any math(at least some estimates) on how much money is being wasted on this DRM system and how much loss is being incurred from losing customers versus how much is actually still being acquired in revenue, and then comparing that to a situation without the DRM? Just curious.

EDIT: *Corrected some paragraphing. I'm a stickler for using decent grammar, spelling, and composition when I post.*

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
ark123 said:
Ubisoft is like the Kramer of developers. They screw up all the time, they're hilarious and eventually they'll make one final giant mistake that will doom their careers for good.
haha, so this DRM scheme is the video game equivelent of standing up on a stage screaming "ITS A N****R!!" over and over?

I like that.

Galaxy613

Apr 6, 2008
Guys, it doesn't MATTER to Ubisoft if this works or not for the end-user. What matters is whether or not people are able to pirate it, which so far is a victory IIRC.

Gwarr

Mar 24, 2010
Galaxy613 said:
Guys, it doesn't MATTER to Ubisoft if this works or not for the end-user. What matters is whether or not people are able to pirate it, which so far is a victory IIRC.
Well , they just lost a loyal customer over this and ( after Ubisoft forums ) it ain't just me .I cannot play for 13 days ( yes 13 ) . I bought the game 13 days ago and still haven't been able to play one second .

I go to store , ask for refund , they refuse ( saying it's Ubisoft problem ) and send me to call Ubisoft support . Ubisoft support is dead , you get no responses and there are 0 response on the forums with the exception of this mod that deletes all complaint threads.

I had it with Ubisoft . I've been a Settlers fan for years and now they treat me like garbage.I feel like I just wasted my money on nothing but a full Cd . Not a huge lose of money anyway , but I stand on principle .

I wonder if I cannot report them to some EU institution because this is fraud . To release a product and deny access to your legal costumers for 2 weeks is unacceptable.

I am really with the pirates on this ones . At the moment they will become heroes if they crack this and make it most pirated game ever like Spore was ( another DRM "success")

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
Hehe, I was in EBGames the other day, and I saw a guy about to buy Assassin's Creed 2 on PC. I asked him if he knew about the DRM; he didn't know. Convinced him not to buy it. It wasn't that hard.

Common sense: 1
Ubisoft: 0

Twad

Nov 19, 2009
Gwarr said:
Galaxy613 said:
Well , they just lost a loyal customer over this and ( after Ubisoft forums ) it ain't just me .I cannot play for 13 days ( yes 13 ) . I bought the game 13 days ago and still haven't been able to play one second .

I go to store , ask for refund , they refuse ( saying it's Ubisoft problem ) and send me to call Ubisoft support . Ubisoft support is dead , you get no responses and there are 0 response on the forums with the exception of this mod that deletes all complaint threads.

I had it with Ubisoft . I've been a Settlers fan for years and now they treat me like garbage.I feel like I just wasted my money on nothing but a full Cd . Not a huge lose of money anyway , but I stand on principle .

I wonder if I cannot report them to some EU institution because this is fraud . To release a product and deny access to your legal costumers for 2 weeks is unacceptable.

I am really with the pirates on this ones . At the moment they will become heroes if they crack this and make it most pirated game ever like Spore was ( another DRM "success")

Go back to the store and get a refund, if they ask why, say the game doent work and you WANT your refund. THey cant escape the refund by saying its Ubi's fault. Your the client, its your right.

Gwarr

Mar 24, 2010
Twad said:
Go back to the store and get a refund, if they ask why, say the game doent work and you WANT your refund. THey cant escape the refund by saying its Ubi's fault. Your the client, its your right.
I told them but when they asked what's wrong I told them that I cannot connect to their servers even thought my Internet is 100% ok( I was stupid for stating that , could go with technical ...)

You imagine this never happened before as it's a new kinda of DRM and I think it's Ubisoft fault too . They made this shit system . The store gave me a 100% running game , Ubisoft denied me access to it.

I gave up already , just hope they come to senses and delete this DRM or they'll be the only one playing their games soon.

Twad

Nov 19, 2009
Gwarr said:
Twad said:
I told them but when they asked what's wrong I told them that I cannot connect to their servers even thought my Internet is 100% ok( I was stupid for stating that , could go with technical ...)

You imagine this never happened before as it's a new kinda of DRM and I think it's Ubisoft fault too . They made this shit system . The store gave me a 100% running game , Ubisoft denied me access to it.

I gave up already , just hope they come to senses and delete this DRM or they'll be the only one playing their games soon.
Doent change a thing, its the store that sold it to you, its their problem if UBI doesnt do his part of the deal, get your refund if you want it.

DoW Lowen

Exarch
Jan 11, 2009
In all honesty I hope the problem persists, the longer it remains an issue the quicker Ubisfot will decide "hey, they were right. This is a pretty fucking stupid idea."

Sorry Settler players, no hostility intended towards you guys.

Gwarr

Mar 24, 2010
Twad said:
Gwarr said:
Twad said:

Doent change a thing, its the store that sold it to you, its their problem if UBI doesnt do his part of the deal, get your refund if you want it.
Heh , I'll try again tomorrow . But I ain't the only one that got this response as I saw on Ubi forums . The game is technically working but at the moment servers don't work . It may be like WOW , they don't give you a refund if WOW servers don't work for a while.

I'll try again , see what happens :D

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
Gwarr said:
Twad said:
Gwarr said:
Twad said:

Heh , I'll try again tomorrow . But I ain't the only one that got this response as I saw on Ubi forums . The game is technically working but at the moment servers don't work . It may be like WOW , they don't give you a refund if WOW servers don't work for a while.

I'll try again , see what happens :D

Skip that... Say the terms of the EULA are unacceptable to you and you wouldn't have purchased the game had you been able to read them beforehand.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
Erbkaiser said:
Amazing that they are getting away with this. If I owned a copy of Settlers 7 I would demand a refund for unplayable (intentionally broken) software, or maybe even consider suing Ubisoft. I'm pretty sure a case could be made against them.

I'm still not convinced Ubisoft is not deliberately sabotaging themselves, to get an excuse to abandon the PC market. They can't REALLY be this stupid, can they?
Heck, given all the lawsuits I've seen against gaming companies that are based on complete bullshit, I'm surprised I haven't seen a lawsuit in this case where it's actually fairly legit. Ubisoft put-out an intentionally-broken game in the name of a battle that they've probably already lost (though I honestly don't keep-up with the pirating scene to see if their DRM has been cracked).

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Erbkaiser said:
Amazing that they are getting away with this. If I owned a copy of Settlers 7 I would demand a refund for unplayable (intentionally broken) software, or maybe even consider suing Ubisoft. I'm pretty sure a case could be made against them.

I'm still not convinced Ubisoft is not deliberately sabotaging themselves, to get an excuse to abandon the PC market. They can't REALLY be this stupid, can they?
Check failblog, Failbooking, Facebook, and your local news station.

Yes, people CAN be this stupid.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Straying Bullet said:
Ahaa, another Ubisoft blow.
And damn, I was SO interested getting this game for the PC, but appparently, their servers are shit still and always will be. I hope they choke and fail. Plus losing money over this, ALOT OF MONEY so they can drop this crap ALLTOGETHER. Off with your head Ubisoft. And with EA of course.
Why? EA has been keeping out of the limelight on the Runway of Failure recently, and they've NEVER been this ridiculous.