Seven-Year-Old Girl Murdered for Videogame Money

fealubryne

Jan 26, 2011
TimeLord said:
It's very easy to blame the games. But what about the kids parents? His upbringing? His environment he lives in? Or the mental state of the kid himself?

This story would end exactly the same if he was addicted to Skittles and wanted money to buy Skittles.
This exactly. It's not that I'm not sympathetic to the mother of a kid who committed suicide, but she needs to realize that there was definitely something bigger going on beyond the video games. Instead of blaming an outlet, these kids need help with what's really going on inside their heads to do this kind of stuff.

Moosejaw

Oct 11, 2010
Whenever something like this happens, people are very quick to blame anyone, anything but themselves. If this kid didn't kill because of an internet cafe, he'd have killed because of something else. This kid is screwed up, plain and simple.

When tragedy occurs, people want someone to 'do something'. That 'something' is extremely rarely helpful and - more often than not - harmful. The only thing that's going to stop future tragedies like this from occurring is parenting, not laws.

xmbts

Still Approved by Shock
Legacy
May 30, 2010
Country
United States
I don't know, if he's willing to murder a little girl I think he's got more problems then video game obsession.

Geeky Anomaly

Feb 19, 2011
fealubryne said:
TimeLord said:
It's very easy to blame the games. But what about the kids parents? His upbringing? His environment he lives in? Or the mental state of the kid himself?

This story would end exactly the same if he was addicted to Skittles and wanted money to buy Skittles.
This exactly. It's not that I'm not sympathetic to the mother of a kid who committed suicide, but she needs to realize that there was definitely something bigger going on beyond the video games. Instead of blaming an outlet, these kids need help with what's really going on inside their heads to do this kind of stuff.
Yep. Ever notice how when a kid commits suicide, the parents try to find SOMETHING to blame...so they don't look like shitty parents? Bullied at school: suicide, outlaw bullying. Video games: suicide, outlaw video games. Rock music: suicide, outlaw rock music. Hey parents, maybe your kid killed themselves because they WANTED to...ever think about that? "Yes...but such n such MADE them want to!"

Michael Connell

Apr 5, 2010
GhostPhantasm said:
The girls parents should be allowed to make him watch as they destroy his account, then beat him with a rock and take his stuff for funeral money
They take the rock, and all his gaming stuff, melt it all down together and pour the molten mass on his hands so he can never play video games or hurt anyone else again.

Flight

Mar 13, 2010
I don't think there's something wrong with gaming inherently; rather, the people who commit crimes "because" of the games are the ones with the problems. Games shouldn't be blamed for the horrific actions of their players.

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
Video game addiction is not the same as drugs or alcohol. Games are psychologically addictive, not physically addictive. Games will only drive people over the edge like this kid if they already have some serious preconditions. If you don't want things like thins to happen you should work on ways to find out if people have psychological problems more early on, and then treat their problems better. You shouldn't just blame games!

Geeky Anomaly

Feb 19, 2011
JackSparrowSucks said:
See, this is why MMOs should be kept away from stupid people.
And smart people.
You know, just humans in general.

And a few animals...
At least it wasn't World of Warcraft. It was some game not many people have heard of.

On a side note...look at his FACE...he LOOKS like a murderer, not a gamer, that's my opinion of course, no factual basis behind it.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
That's terrible, no normal person would murder an innocent little girl solely to feed an addiction, that boy must have serious issues. I very much hope justice will be served, in my opinion child murderers are among the very worst of humanity.

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
linkvegeta said:
Monthly subscription fees are murder...... literally.
Pal, the joke is a admittedly good... But too soon man. Too soon.

kwydjebo

Sep 1, 2010
We estimate 87.6% of Elizabeth Woolley's facts are not actually facts.
See, my made up percentage has a decimal point to it, so it sounds WAY better than her made up percentage!

Generalzdave

Oct 4, 2010
This is awful. I'd be almost fine if he just punched her in the face and took her earrings, but killing her was way over the line. I can see where the "games made them do this" crowd is coming from, they have a fairly just cause, but they aren't placing the blame in the right place. Why don't we ban earrings in Vietnam? If she wasn't wearing them, she wouldn't have been robbed. Why don't we ban money, because that was how he was going to play Swordsman Online. The little shit needs to be beat to death with a computer, which is slower that a rock. Considering the area he's in, no offense, I wouldn't be surprised if that's how they handle this.

Antidrall

Mar 16, 2010
There's a difference between addiction to video games, and literal mental retardation.

linkvegeta

Dec 18, 2010
Imp Emissary said:
linkvegeta said:
Monthly subscription fees are murder...... literally.
Pal, the joke is a admittedly good... But too soon man. Too soon.
yeah I agree. It was a spur of the moment thing. Hope I didnt offend or make anyone upset.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
This is not the first thing I wanted to read in the morning. Part of me feels sorry for the boy. Granted, it's a very small part, but it's there. That being said, either lock him up for a good 40-50 years, or execute him.

the Dept of Science

Nov 9, 2009
I really don't see why people are complaining that these people are being treated like addicts. Yes, not everyone gets addicted to videogames. On the other hand, there are some people who have SERIOUS problems with excessive gaming and they should be treated like anyone else with a serious problem.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
Considering how many of these stories are coming from China and Vietnam, I have to wonder if it is because gaming IS being regulated. We are talking about two communist countries with a zero-rights infrastructure here.
Has anybody actually gone to China or Vietnam and seen what is required to get to be on the internet to play games there? Probably none of the people that are pulling shit out of their butt saying games are addictive.