Sexist Ad Lands EB Games Australia In Trouble

RobCoxxy

Feb 22, 2009
Anyone genuinely offended by this type of humour needs to be punched in the ovaries.

ShadowStar42

Sep 26, 2008
SteewpidZombie said:
If you burst out laughing after reading that people were offended...raise you hand *Raises hand*. That was just a HILARIOUSLY bad advertisement, and I'm sure that women would be WAAAAAAAAAY more offended by something like a Axe body spray commercial or the numerous other things out there that ARE being sexist. (Note: My examples aren't for sexism purposes, just proof that THIS commercial of all things is nothing to really scoff at)
So by your logic, if someone comes up to you and kicks you in the face, you shouldn't do anything about because hey, they could have stabbed you?

PlowmanMk

Oct 7, 2010
Half the ads I ever see stereotype men as stupid and women as deceitful. It's silly, but it's just an ad. People need to get over it, and need to stop finding things to complain about.

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
lol it's kinda sexist, but it's not really that bad enough to get worked up over.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
I can't see how this is sexist. A woman is complaining about wasted time and money that goes into games. Man trades in his games and can afford to do something extra for his lady and this pays off. That's how every relationship works. Do something nice and it pays off. It was however not a good ad in any case sexist or not.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Andy Chalk said:
She wasn't the only one unhappy with the spot, as others took to Twitter to complain that the ad is sexist and alienates female customers. But EB defended it as a "light-hearted joke" that was actually written by a woman and said that a "female-oriented companion ad" is on the way.
The "shut up, we know a woman that thinks it's funny" defense never gets old, does it?

FrostyChick

Little Miss Vampire.
Jul 13, 2010
I don't see any sexism.
But what I do see is animation quality that sucks so much ass it smells like a sceptic tank.
And the voices... They're like mini cheese graters to my inner ears. >.<
Lastly the writing quality, I'd commit ritual suicide from shame if that was my work.

Peter Storer

May 30, 2011
The only thing offensive about that ad is the insinuation that you can get a new release top line game by trading in 3 recent releases. Considering that EB Give less than 25% of what they re-sell the game for, I personaly would rather throw my old games in the bin than just give the thieving bastards even more profit.
No, I don't have unrealistic expectations, but when they buy that low, and sell that high, its just insulting.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
the add was to horrible to be offensive, if people should be pissy about anything, should be the animation quality.

but since this is about sexism and not its lack of over all quality :p it doesn't portray ETHER sex as anything other then stereotypes

x-machina

Sep 14, 2010
I'm not even sure what the argument for this being sexist is. Because a man is the "bread winner"? Or that he didn't help her dust? You know, housewives still exist right?

I really have no idea how anyone could possibly be offended by this. And, I would appreciate it, if someone told me how exactly it is sexist.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
Thyunda said:
This isn't sexist...it's a pretty common occurrence. As a man, I sit on my ass and play videogames, while my girlfriend cleans the house and yells at me for wasting my money on videogames and not helping her clean up.

While this obviously doesn't occur in 100% of households, my mother cleaning the house and yelling at my father for sitting on his ass watching TV happened a lot, and it seems to happen to my friends too. So it's clearly a common occurrence, so I don't see the sexism. All it says to me is that women take pride in their home and want money cleverly spent, and appreciate a night out every now and then, while men think of nothing more than Batman and sitting on their ass.

Wait. Who is the ad sexist towards again?
I think you just hit the nail on the head. Anything can be sexist if you look at it from the wrong perspective.

kebab4you

Jan 3, 2010
"A woman wrote it" Can you really use that logic to defend your commercial? Does that mean I can hire a jewish person and tell him to write a joke about the holocaust?

Out over that it was just a shitty commercial that I could with ease do in flash in under an hour.

Sizzle Montyjing

Pronouns - Slam/Slammed/Slammin'
Apr 5, 2011
Ugh, fuck all this apparent 'sexism', that ad was AWFUL.
Unfunny, poorly scripted and badly animated.
Honestly, is it that difficult to say, hire a youtube animator (great ones out there) to do something?

Deathninja19

Dec 7, 2009
CosmicCommander said:
To be offended by this, you have to be an excruciatingly histrionic woman. The spot never insulted women, it just played with the positive gender roles everyone has accepted for as long as we all can recall. It's a light-hearted joke, I don't think any woman who has time and a sense of humour with them would find this insulting.
First off, if you really think like this get rid of your Alexander Armstrong avatar, you no longer deserve to have his greatness grace your post.

Seriously why do game sites bother with all this sexism stuff because the only ones reading are all immature men (or more accurately boys) who simply can't understand the problems of sexism or rasicm simply because it does not affect them. It's like when children think people can't see them because they cover their eyes with their hands.

So Escapist please don't bother posting these news posts anymore, most of the mature people seem to either keep quiet or don't come to these sites and reading posts from ignorant people just make me ashamed of being part of this community.

newwiseman

Aug 27, 2010
That was hilarious. I imagine that the women of Australia are really only upset because shit like that actually happens... not much else to say.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
I'll have you know there are women online... they just keep a low profile to avoid a lot of unwanted attention.

That's what you have to love about the internet, the people who are really controlling these typical White-European-Male-Adult soldiers could be ANYONE. Except their voice may betray them, but not everyone uses voice.
I hear of black people and women much prefer ordering things online so much more as buying things face to face they feel so judged by who they are.

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
AugustFall said:
Sparrow said:
Anyway. Yeah, really not seeing the issue here. If it was the other way around, with a woman buying the game and the bloke moaning, would anyone care? Seems like whining for the sake of whining to me.
Of course it wouldn't because it wouldn't play to established stereotypes. This does, it is sexist, demeaning to women (all he had to do was buy her dinner and she was a domestic housewife waiting on him) and male gamers (layabout with no job).

The fact that you can't see this is disturbing. It's obvious.
It's not sexist. It's a joke. It's clearly poking fun at 50's style commercials which feature exactly the same set-ups. The fact that you can't see this is disturbing. It's obvious.