Sexist Ad Lands EB Games Australia In Trouble

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Heh. Terrible. Could have all been averted if they'd shown her sitting back, enjoying herself, instead of dusting. I can't wait to see the complimentary version for the ladies. Oh, and failed irony, to be sure. It's no where near as bad as that travesty Dr Pepper put out recently.

ElPatron

Jul 18, 2011
Really? You can replace the girl with the man and the ad still makes sense.

And who the hell made that "47%" statistic? First, you have to define "gamer". If you consider "gamer" everyone who touched a videogame in his life, you probably mean everyone who was born in the 60's or later.

MGlBlaze said:
"women don't like 'core' games" idea seriously needs to die in a fire
Any of your girlfriends (implying you are male) bought games every so frequently, they started to buy used games and trading old ones?

aashell13

Jan 31, 2011
Sexist or not, it was a dumb idea.

I haven't bought a game from a bricks&mortar store in years, so I don't much care what they do anymore.

Itsthefuzz

Apr 1, 2010
The Lugz said:
the issue, fail to see it i have

looks like life to me, what's the problem?
I agree, It really didn't seem like "Men can only play games"

More like "If you're a guy and your wife complains about you using cash for games, TRADE OLD ONES IN INSTEAD!"

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
Shoggoth2588 said:
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
It certainly lacks tact, but isn't as bad as that new Dr. Pepper ad.
Why is Dr. Pepper not being slammed by the same criticism and whatnot for their "It's not for Women" ad?! Granted the woman in this ad is doing house work but he offers to help, the guys in the Dr. Pepper ad would have said something about missing a spot before loudly stating how hungry he was starting to feel.
It has more dislikes than likes on Youtube, for what that's worth. It seems like alienating half of your consumer base is the "cool" way to advertise right now.

Lizardon

Robot in Disguise
Mar 22, 2010
I don't think it's offensive or funny, just lame. Are we sure this is legitimate? It seems pretty dodgy quality wise and never really says anything about it being for EBGames, just trading games in generally.

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
This isn't sexist...it's a pretty common occurrence. As a man, I sit on my ass and play videogames, while my girlfriend cleans the house and yells at me for wasting my money on videogames and not helping her clean up.

While this obviously doesn't occur in 100% of households, my mother cleaning the house and yelling at my father for sitting on his ass watching TV happened a lot, and it seems to happen to my friends too. So it's clearly a common occurrence, so I don't see the sexism. All it says to me is that women take pride in their home and want money cleverly spent, and appreciate a night out every now and then, while men think of nothing more than Batman and sitting on their ass.

Wait. Who is the ad sexist towards again?

Davih

May 7, 2011
I'm sorry what? It's sexist because she is cleaning? That's just fucking stupid. Some people are extremely petty.

Hagi

Apr 10, 2011
I don't think it's as much sexist as it's just a bad joke.

Kind of like telling a joke that deal with stereotypes and then having the whole room drop into an uncomfortable silence.
No harm was intended, but because the joke was so bad it was instead interpreted as an insult.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
Giest4life said:
An ad parodying sexist stereotypes is...sexist?
Basically this. The ad was clearly intended as a parody of a 50's ad or information film.People have a tendency to get worked up over so little. Remember that whole racism accusation with ONE black woman in Deus Ex HR? Yet everyone ignored the fact that they stereotyped the Chinese in the original Deus Ex, not just one Chinese person, a whole segment of the game took place IN CHINA.

Kuroneko97

Aug 1, 2010
I fail to see the problem.

And yes, My chromosomes are XX. (Sorry. Just out of school, and my last class is Biology.)

mrblakemiller

Aug 13, 2010
This looks to me like another, "I don't want to clean my boyfriend's house, therefore nothing should ever show any woman cleaning her boyfriend's house" kind of situation.

In other words, these two people in this commercial couldn't possibly be intended to represent all men and women. It doesn't affect you as much as you insist it does.

That's my read, anyway.

Mallefunction

Feb 17, 2011
ElPatron said:
Any of your girlfriends (implying you are male) bought games every so frequently, they started to buy used games and trading old ones?
Not everyone trades in games. I've got at least 40 games myself as a female gamer and have traded two back ONCE. Regretted trading them in less than a year later and had to buy much more expensive copies back because they were hard to find games from the PSX.

Also, there are game rentals. All of the girls I know who game own about 20 games each that they play over and over and then just rent all the new titles rather than shell out $60 for a test play-through.

The guys I know tend to do this too. Not everyone buys shitty games that they are willing to trade in.