Shall I play Bioshock 2 before play Bioshock Infinity?

Sheo_Dagana

Aug 12, 2009
While the atmosphere and story of Bioshock 1 are far better, Bioshock 2 still manages to be a decent game. It's basically more of Bioshock 1 with a slightly inferior story. It does, however, bring in the ability to use Plasmids AND weapons without switching between the two. That part kind of makes it a lot more fun for me. I would suggest playing it before Bioshock Infinite, but only so you don't miss a step in the game's evolution. Bishock Infinite's plasmids are not as creative, but are still fun. I'd say just play them all, but story-wise, you will literally miss nothing if you don't play it. Bioshock 2 is still a decent game, but it's mostly disregarded in the 'canon' at large.

Parker Layden-Tapp

Mar 4, 2014
Bioshock 2 is one of the games I disagree with Yahtzee on, his point on the main character being a Big Daddy design prior to the ones commonly seen makes sense. He was a more efficient Big Daddy, but at the cost of not following orders 100% of the time, which was crucial to their existence.

Gunplay was ironed out in Bioshock 2, if it hadn't existed I think infinite would have been even worse. As you can hold a gun out and still use plasmids, which was not in Bioshock 1. Gun upgrades where COOL, the shotgun was great, the weapons were awesome Harpoon gun tyvm.

Bioshock 1 had big daddies, bioshock 2 had big daddies and sisters, infinite had handymen. Handymen were annoying, and hard but in the wrong way since they gave him a weakpoint but he moved way too fast, I mean he was bigger than a big daddy, and while more machine than daddies there was little evidence behind the weight.

A lot of what made infinite bad imo was the selling feature of elizabeth.

- shield
- which was because you didn't have health packs
- because elizabeth got you health now an then
- when she felt like it
- dying was less consequential, elizabeth revives you around a corner
- 2 gun limit, so you naturally pick 2 weapons to upgrade and that's all, rapid fire weapons were really weak
- 2 gun limit because elizabeth gets you ammo, when she has time

then theres the vigors, plasmids made sense in bioshock 1/2 as they led to the fall of rapture. Vigors are just there to be plasmids.

SweetShark

Shark Girls are my Waifus
Jan 9, 2012
I just wanted to learn if Bioshock 2 was important for the story of Biosock Infinity, but it seems I learned B2 is fun for its gameplay.
It seems then I will play first B2 then BI.
Thank you for your help my friends :)

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
Honestly, I'd play Bioshock 1 and 2, and then maybe give Infinite a shot.

Infinite wasn't bad, but I thought Bioshock 1 and 2 were way better. The art deco style was way more appealing than the "turn of the century America" look of Infinite, Infinite's choice to revert to the 2 gun system was a mistake, as well as the regenerating health system. I'm also a sucker for any games that involve the ocean. Likewise, I found the original's plots to be WAY better, especially the funky take on objectivism, free markets, communism, ideology, etc. Infinite was essentially just "racism is bad".