Shamus Plays: LOTRO, Part 10

SoldieroFortune

Apr 1, 2009
Wait ... you sold your crops ... back to the vendor?!? :0

You might have made a lot more money if you'd have chosen one of the vegetable crops (pipeweed usually doesn't sell well, unless we're talking about Shire Sweet-leaf, now that's another story) and posted it to the auction house. Cooks (even top tier ones) are always in need of even the most basic vegetables.

Those price-gouging seamstresses would have to think twice when their husbands came home with bushels of your onions!

Also, referring to the poster above me ... I doubt it's cooking ... Think post office quests ... with pie!

randommaster

Sep 10, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Dodgy said:
You must be Sam I suppose? :)
PO-TATE-OES! ;)
You know, boil em', mash em', stick em' in a stew.

I'm sorry, I just couldn't resist.

sooperman said:
You know, I read a thread similar to this feature, except it was entirely text. It was a humorous, insightful romp through the early levels of RuneScape(don't give me that look) that gained a cult following. It had to end, though, as the writer ceased to be new and uninformed.

I have to wonder; at what point will Shamus stop being a "noob" and start, for example, making boat loads of cash? At what level will he stop doing meaningless quests that often do not profit? Personally, I think the series will become more interesting once Luly is a respected hero, decked out head to toe, but who's to say?
He did fifteen for Champions Online, but he's getting paid for this, so it might be longer. Also, Shamus isn't new to LotRO, he's done this a few times before and is just acting surprised for our enjoyment.

I really hope that this series goes on after he gets his new clothes.

matrix3509

Sep 24, 2008
Nice to see Shamus continuing the stereotype of girls having lots of shoes. Christ, thats a bunch of shoes!

camazotz

Jul 23, 2009
Even my wife, a gamer chick who is also a self-professed "anti-girlie" has a secret closet full of boots and shoes. It's quite disturbing. Every woman I've ever known has a hidden closet of shoes.

So yeah, when I saw those open bags full of shoes....now THAT's good RP!!!!

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Sjakie said:
The longer i read this, the more my respect for this game drops. At least you make it funny to read about. What kind of other dumb quests did they put in there i wonder?

Now, go and abuse yourself some more for our fun Shamus.
As Shamus pointed out before, he handpicks the quests that make for an easier write and a funnier read. Also, the Shire is full of this sort of silliness because, well, it's the Shire and that's what Hobbits are like.

Many of quests outside of the Shire, particularly those in the Epic line, are quite devoid of silliness (though it's rare that they totally escape from typical MMO quests game mechanics wise).

By and large LOTRO is actually a fairly serious MMO that gets punctuated with the same sort of humour you find in the books.

AfterAscon

Tilting at WHARRGARBL
Nov 29, 2007
I love the fact you put one of the unhappy faces right on top of Michael Delving to hide the correct spelling. I don't play LoTRO, but I'm tempted from reading these, or know much about the lore so can't comment on the correct spelling.

This is probably one of my favourite things on the escapist at the moment.

sooperman

Partially Awesome at Things
Feb 11, 2009
randommaster said:
He did fifteen for Champions Online, but he's getting paid for this, so it might be longer. Also, Shamus isn't new to LotRO, he's done this a few times before and is just acting surprised for our enjoyment.

That's right; I'd completely forgotten about those. Ah, memories.

Anyway, I should imagine that Luly(Shamus) has only just embarked on her(his) quest, and we will see plenty more of the massive universe presented. One should hope, anyway.

randommaster

Sep 10, 2008
sooperman said:
randommaster said:

That's right; I'd completely forgotten about those. Ah, memories.

Anyway, I should imagine that Luly(Shamus) has only just embarked on her(his) quest, and we will see plenty more of the massive universe presented. One should hope, anyway.
We'll preobably see the area after the Shire just so Lulzy can get matching clothes. Here's hoping for ten more installments.

ucciolord1

Mar 26, 2009
Actually, the resource-gathering professions related to weaponcrafting and armorsmithing generally turn a nice profit. This is funnier, though.

Adventurer2626

Jan 21, 2010
Just a quick disclaimer to ease your minds:

There shouldn't be an emphasis on pipe-weed. It's a common mistake; the good professor said that it's just Shire-talk for tobacco. So no need to worry about your young'uns getting high by letting them play. Just lung cancer. But that's what the 'T' rating is for.

Anyways, the Goose laid another Golden Egg. Keep em coming. I'm thinking about making an omelette recipe with them. Now back to my genocidal persecution of all orc-kind. *trots off skipping and whistling*

jdhays

Oct 28, 2009
I wasn't suggesting that the young lady was doing anything illicit. Quite the contrary. She looks like an ad for Jolly Sailor Pipe Tobacco. In fact, if she was smoking something else, it might take the curse off of it.

Also, in that screenshot, it looks like she has a bit of Captain Morgan in her.

w00tage

Feb 8, 2010
ucciolord1 said:
Actually, the resource-gathering professions related to weaponcrafting and armorsmithing generally turn a nice profit. This is funnier, though.
This is true, you can make a lot of money just running around gathering stuff. One profession (The Forester?) lets you do plants, wood and metals all at the same time, I think.

Frank Pedersen

Mar 24, 2010
A great read as usual.
As fun as the Shire is (both to experience and read about), I am starting to look forward to Lulzy spending more time with the big folk and their silly ways again.

wickedpt

Mar 23, 2009
Great read as usual. Alot of fun to read from someone who's been playing lotro for 3 years now.

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
w00tage said:
ucciolord1 said:
This is true, you can make a lot of money just running around gathering stuff. One profession (The Forester?) lets you do plants, wood and metals all at the same time, I think.
From what I have seen, having only played the game for only two months, prospector and forester are, I feel, the most lucrative .

If I have a not so busy college class week, I usually play at least two hours a day. While running or riding to quests, I will almost always run into a ton of ore nodes, and usually there is a fallen tree branch near each of those nodes as well, so those kinds of journeys are twice as profitable in gathering if you are an explorer profession set, which includes both prospector and forester, along with the tailor profession, which the forester's ability to make leather from the hides of the animals he kills is very helpful.

To point out the profits:
After crafting a hundred ingots of a tier 1 ore, I can sell that hundred for at least 250 to 300 silvers.
Tier 2: 500 silvers for a hundred.
Tier 3: 800 silvers for a hundred.
It just gets higher and higher from there. The forester is the same in selling price, but you have to factor in that you have to buy wax to make the wood into lumber. If you just sell the base ingots and don't make your iron ingots into steel ingots, you won't have to buy anything for crafting, you just have to repair your crafting gear.

It took me a little less then a month to make it to tier 3 prospector. I was a Master Expert Prospector before the first month was over with.
-----------------------------------------

It was another great addition to the series Shamus.

But I think Lulzy needs to pick up a pick-axe and start mining. She'll be rolling in clothes in no time.

It would be funny to see her working at a forge and commenting about it.

Gantoris13

Mar 25, 2010
Sjakie said:
The longer i read this, the more my respect for this game drops. At least you make it funny to read about. What kind of other dumb quests did they put in there i wonder?
Meh, every mmo out there has quests that if you really put yourself in the shoes of your character would be just as silly if not sillier (is that a word?) as some of the quests in this game.

Keep up the good work, I can't wait to see what happens next!