Shamus Plays WoW #13: Crime and Punishment

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
littlewisp said:
Worgen said:
I was always confused when people told me that if I just read the quest descriptions then there is a really good plot to wow, even back in the day it was weird stuff that didnt make any sense, glad to see it still doesnt
What they meant was 'if you read this, this, and this quest that you get to by doing a bunch of stupid stuff, there is some emotional attachment and coherence that gets put in there!'

. . .that or they meant 'there is a really good plot to warcraft.'

. . .or they just were never exposed to really good plots.

:/
well to be fair blizzard has never really been good at writing plots or coming up with original plots... or at least they dont do that with the big name games they make, probably the most original one they ever did was the lost vikings

Alar

The Stormbringer
Dec 1, 2009
"I don't want to help these people anymore!"

Poor, poor Norman. I knew him, Horatio.

carpathic

Oct 5, 2009
Nooo...don't end it! (At least not until you have a new series ready to go.) These series is one of the major reasons I come to the escapist.

Criquefreak

Mar 19, 2010
So many wonderful jokes and lines that I'd maim to see as character dialogue in a game.

Too bad you're not writing up the quests for them, the incoherent dribble you're showing in the screenshots and making fun of is shameful to see from a professional game design studio.

Optimystic

Sep 24, 2008
The human area always had the most idiotic quests. But I'm sure the Orcs ended up with some wallbangers too, they just haven't been thrown up on the big screen yet.

TheMadDoctorsCat

Apr 2, 2008
I THINK WE'RE COMING... [*Pregnant pause to don sunglasses, followed by far more awkward pause as possible meanings of what I just said sink in...*] TO THE END OF THE STORYLINE!

I've been saying from the start that Norman is en route to the dark side, but what's he going to do when he gets there? Just stop playing? That'd be lame... Go on a homicidal rampage? That'd be out of character... Knowing Norman, he'd keep up with this stuff but whine more and more about it... but that'd just be going over old ground. So what's going to happen? I can't wait to find out!

Octorok

May 28, 2009
TheMadDoctorsCat said:
I THINK WE'RE COMING... [*Pregnant pause to don sunglasses, followed by far more awkward pause as possible meanings of what I just said sink in...*] TO THE END OF THE STORYLINE!

I've been saying from the start that Norman is en route to the dark side, but what's he going to do when he gets there? Just stop playing? That'd be lame... Go on a homicidal rampage? That'd be out of character... Knowing Norman, he'd keep up with this stuff but whine more and more about it... but that'd just be going over old ground. So what's going to happen? I can't wait to find out!
He'll snap, and either cave into Gobstab, and just becoming an evil-doer, or maybe he'll drop the whole magic idea and just go home to his Mother.

Maybe he'll blame the evil Warlockness of it all, and become a Paladin to go fight the Good Fight.

Or, more likely, Shamus will come up with a satisfying conclusion that we don't see coming, or is at least done in such a way that his talent for writing is used to its potential.

asterismW

May 26, 2009
Come to the dark side, Norman. We don't have nonsensical murder investigations. We have cookies.

InnerRebellion

Mar 6, 2010
asterismW said:
Come to the dark side, Norman. We don't have nonsensical murder investigations. We have cookies.
Haha just kidding, we lied! Are surprised? I mean, we are the dark side you know.

OT: I love this. I always found the human area to be dull.

Chyvern

Nov 15, 2010
I believe Blizzard has catered the different zones to different types of players... Just a shame that there isn't really any way to tell where a zone lies on the silliness/serious business scale until you are invested in using the area for your dosage of loot and levels. Not to mention that one is often locked into a few options for where they wish to level.

My rather slaphappy friend adored this zone and Redridge for the pure ludicrousness of the quests, and for the same reason I have steered clear for other areas. One thing that I can say for certain is that Blizzard has come a long way. When you find the jewels and diamonds in the rough, its worth it. I was struck when I returned to level my neglected lowbie after the Cataclysm launch at how much better Blizzard has gotten over the years at telling a story. A specific example I can cite is Badlands, which, although it is sadly late in the new low area content, solicited more emotion from me at its end than any other instance within the game.
[/babbling]

camazotz

Jul 23, 2009
This episode summarizes...very succinctly....why I stopped playing my new human warrior in Westfall. And then let my subscription lapse last week. I just couldn't take it anymore!!!!

LaughingAtlas

Nov 18, 2009
"Imagine how stale the CSI joke will be six years from now."

Reading this about six years later (I still enjoy re-reading this little adventure every couple of years), I can say that the CSI thing wasn't funny the first time and time has not sweetened it.