Shane Black Directing Predator Reboot - Update

Esmeralda Portillo

Jun 16, 2014
Shane Black Directing Predator Reboot - Update

The 1987 classic Predator is being rebooted, with Shane Black at the helm.

Update: Looks like the reports that Shane Black and Fred Dekker were working on the Predator reboot neglected to clarify one thing: the new Predator movie is actually an "inventive sequel," not a reboot.

It turns out Black is actually not a fan of reboots, stating, "As far as Fred and I are concerned anyway, why start over, when you've all this rich mythology yet to mine?"

Source: Collider [http://collider.com/predator-reboot-sequel-shane-black/]

Original Story: Hollywood's obsession with reboots continues: 20th Century Fox is rebooting the 1987 classic Predator.

Predator is the action movie that immortalized the phrase "Get to the Chopper!," originally starring Arnold Schwarzenegger going head-to-head with the elusive Predator creature in middle of a Central American jungle. Twenty-seven years later the film is being rebooted, and the person undertaking this momentous task is none other than Shane Black, the director behind Iron Man 3 and screenwriter for Lethal Weapon.

Shane Black is reported to write the project treatment, but Fred Dekker will take on scriptwriting responsibilities. Dekker is the director and writer for RoboCop 3, and he also co-wrote Monster Squad with Black.

Shane Black is attached to direct.

To further ease our worries, John Davis, one of the producers of the 1980 original will also be producing this iteration of the film.

Black has an interesting history with the Predator series: he was approached several times in 1986 during both the pre-production and production phases of the movie to take a look at the script and give his input. He turned the studio down each time. He did eventually accept a small role in the film as radio operator Rick Hawkins.

Source: Hollywood Reporter [http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/fox-rebooting-predator-shane-black-714598]

AndrewC

Jun 24, 2010
It's not like the film could be any worse than Iron Man 3 (MY GERSH DERN ERRPERRNYEN) right...? *nervous chuckle* C'mon guys, someone back me up here.

Raesvelg

Oct 22, 2008
I suppose this will be the film to win the year's award for "Most Unnecessary Remake".

zelda2fanboy

Oct 6, 2009
Just what a Predator movie needs: cutesy self conscious in-jokes and winks to the audience. Oh and it has the Robocop 3 director helping out? This is gonna be gold!

Makabriel

May 13, 2013
But.. But .. GAH no! This'll be the third reboot? If you count Predators as a reboot.
*sigh*
Now Hollywood is just going crazy..

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
zelda2fanboy said:
Just what a Predator movie needs: cutesy self conscious in-jokes and winks to the audience. Oh and it has the Robocop 3 director helping out? This is gonna be gold!
I hope they take it to the next level by putting in a laugh track after all of the repeats of lines from the original.

I'm sort of curious about what they are going to change to justify calling it a reboot instead of a remake. Probably something about a sinister corporation doing twisted experiments to create the ultimate investment banker and instead unleashing a predator on the world. Bent on destroying the economy it starts heading towards the USA to sell people terrible financial products, but the corporation call 'Murica for help. A crack team of commandos are brought out of retirement for one last job and are airlifted in to some foreign place south of the border by a veteran 'choppa' pilot played by Schwarzenegger who will say 'I'll be back!' which everyone will love. The rest can write itself.

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
I would post a GIF of someone banging their head on a desk over and over, but I'm too busy doing it in real life.

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
This is unfortunate, but since it's going to happen, and somebody must be at the helm, I guess Shane Black is the most logical choice, historically speaking.

For the people who love commentary, I highly recommend the ultimate edition of Predator.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
But...why? I guess Honest Trailers wasn't kidding when they said, "What are they going to reboot next? Die Hard?" Seriously, they've done Robot Cop, working on Terminator, and now Predator. Die Hard is the only one left.

We don't need a Predator reboot. the original film has aged fine. We can still just go watch that. Why is this happening? Sigh...

EDIT: Good. Glad to see that it's not a reboot. Someone forgot to do some fact checking it seems, but this makes me extremely happy. :)

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Makabriel said:
But.. But .. GAH no! This'll be the third reboot? If you count Predators as a reboot.
MrBrightside919 said:
Didn't they already remake Predator a few years ago? Why do it again? WHY I ASK YOU! WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!
Actually Predators was indeed a sequel. One of the character's back story was that she was a government agent that knew full well what the Predators were, having knowledge of both Arnold and Danny Glover's encounters with the alien hunter.

More towards the topic, I'll go ahead and display my fanboy card and bring some light to this comment section. Personally it doesn't matter how they do it or what they do with it, I just love me some Predator action. I'm one of the few people that apparently enjoyed Predator 2 as much as the first movie, and I also enjoyed Predators as much as both its predecessors. And yes, I liked BOTH of the AvP movies, damnit! :p

The last movie I saw in theaters was, coincidentally enough, Iron Man 3. Looks like I'll be heading back to catch this one as well. But I've always had weird tastes. For instance: I actually enjoyed Anchorman 2. :p

KaZuYa

Mar 23, 2013
It will not have...

Arnie saying - Get to the choppa! & If it bleeds, we can kill it.

Bill Duke saying - You're ghostin' us, motherfu*ker. I don't care who you are back in the world, you give away our position one more time, I'll bleed ya, real quiet. Leave ya here. Got that?

Jessie Ventura saying - I ain't got time to bleed.

and many more, basically it won't be Predator so why bother.

Makabriel

May 13, 2013
RJ 17 said:
More towards the topic, I'll go ahead and display my fanboy card and bring some light to this comment section. Personally it doesn't matter how they do it or what they do with it, I just love me some Predator action. I'm one of the few people that apparently enjoyed Predator 2 as much as the first movie, and I also enjoyed Predators as much as both its predecessors. And yes, I liked BOTH of the AvP movies, damnit! :p
I agree, I loved pretty much all the movies with the Predator in it. But just continue the franchise. Why reboot it?

tehroc

Jul 6, 2009
Sniper Team 4 said:
But...why? I guess Honest Trailers wasn't kidding when they said, "What are they going to reboot next? Die Hard?" Seriously, they've done Robot Cop, working on Terminator, and now Predator. Die Hard is the only one left.
Lethal Weapon. I don't think we need to worry about a Die Hard reboot until Bruce Willis retires from acting.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Makabriel said:
RJ 17 said:
I agree, I loved pretty much all the movies with the Predator in it. But just continue the franchise. Why reboot it?
Yeah, that's why I prefer to look at it as "Well at least they're rebooting something I'm actually interested in this time." :p

Arslan Aladeen

Oct 9, 2012
tehroc said:
Lethal Weapon. I don't think we need to worry about a Die Hard reboot until Bruce Willis retires from acting.
In which case, we only need to worry about a Die Hard sequel.

Mar 30, 2010
Oh for fuck's sake...

Why not build on a franchise, rather than constantly starting from square one?

EDIT - Ok, just read the update, and now I'm pretty stoked to see where they go with this.

heroicbob

Aug 25, 2010
Makabriel said:
*sigh*
Now Hollywood is just going crazy..
no technically it was a sequel it just didn't have much to do with either of the first two movies iirc they mention the encounter with the first predator in predators