Shane Black Directing Predator Reboot - Update

MrHide-Patten

Jun 10, 2009
Usually I won't knock something out, because you can make a good movie out of anything. This however, no, just no. Predator doesn't really need a reboot, it just needs another thriller with game hunting alien Jamaicans, like Predators.

Calling it a reboot just puts a bad taste in every bodies mouth.

Update: Mooch better.

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
If it's a musical I could be down with this:

Otherwise, I'm well used to my treasured memories from the 80s being exhumed and desecrated by this point, after giving Robocop a stun gun, what's the worst they can do? Make the predator a misunderstood sympathetic creature that got left alone and is all terrified in a world of scary humans?

XenoScifi

Dec 30, 2013
This, just like the original Robocop, needed no reboot. Go back and watch it. IT'S STILL GOOD! I would literally rather watch a digital super duper delux remaster of the original instead of a reboot!

Hollywood, you're idiots. You will always be idiots, and I hope the movie flops to prove once again reboots are pointless.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Doesnt sound good. Seriously though why dont they ever reboot these movies with passion and originality. Or even look to the comics to get some ideas for a movie and not another crappy remake. Why not have it set in snow (like one of the comics) instead of a remake in a jungle. Atleast if they made it fairly gory and violent and make the Predator more like the original instead of stupid overly large extendo-claws version in AvP. What about doing something completely different and set it in the past being that we know the Predator has visited the Earth tons of times. WW2 or Iraq? Or maybe like The Thing except its a Predator. Alas i fear it will be a charmless remake like all the others.

fozzy360

I endorse Jurassic Park
Oct 20, 2009
Fuck yeah, Shane Black.

Seriously, I'm loving the choice. There isn't a Shane Black movie that I've watched and haven't enjoyed. I'm really curious to see what kind of angle he'll approach this from: either a straight up reboot or a soft boot like Predators. I'm thinking the latter, but I'm excited wither way.

Darks63

Mar 8, 2010
What they haven't told you is that the story will be based on Predator: Concrete Jungle

On a serious note what Arnold actioneer will they remake next Running man? Commando? Twins?

Uriel_Hayabusa

Apr 7, 2014
Sniper Team 4 said:
But...why? I guess Honest Trailers wasn't kidding when they said, "What are they going to reboot next? Die Hard?" Seriously, they've done Robot Cop, working on Terminator, and now Predator. Die Hard is the only one left.

We don't need a Predator reboot. the original film has aged fine. We can still just go watch that. Why is this happening? Sigh...
Well, there's still Rambo, Rocky, Indiana Jones and probably some others I'm forgetting, including more obscure properties. So yeah, this reboot craze can go on for quite some time if the folks in charge feel like staying that course.

ron1n

Jan 28, 2013
Would have preferred they just let Rodriguez make another sequel, only with a better budget.
(Seriously, he made it for $40 million and it grossed $127,234,389)

Thought it he did quite well with Predators honestly, certainly captured the feel of the original much better than the AvP trash that had preceded it.

God I hope the rumors that have persisted since this thing was first rumored aren't true though: John Cena as the lead...*shudder*

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
So how are they going to fuck up the Predator's design? These reboots feel the need to strip everything unique about the original, so I'm guessing the fishnets and bare chest will be gone, and it won't have mandibles.

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
Why do people insist on rebooting things that still hold up perfectly well today? Heck, what would the difference between a reboot and a sequel even be, besides being able to give people the same names?

post update edit: It's nice to see Shane Black agrees. Perhaps the Escapist could save itself some time and make sure it gets the facts strait before getting people worked up over nothing.

Kenbo Slice

Deep In The Willow
Jun 7, 2010
RJ 17 said:
Makabriel said:
But.. But .. GAH no! This'll be the third reboot? If you count Predators as a reboot.
MrBrightside919 said:
Didn't they already remake Predator a few years ago? Why do it again? WHY I ASK YOU! WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!
Actually Predators was indeed a sequel. One of the character's back story was that she was a government agent that knew full well what the Predators were, having knowledge of both Arnold and Danny Glover's encounters with the alien hunter.

More towards the topic, I'll go ahead and display my fanboy card and bring some light to this comment section. Personally it doesn't matter how they do it or what they do with it, I just love me some Predator action. I'm one of the few people that apparently enjoyed Predator 2 as much as the first movie, and I also enjoyed Predators as much as both its predecessors. And yes, I liked BOTH of the AvP movies, damnit! :p

The last movie I saw in theaters was, coincidentally enough, Iron Man 3. Looks like I'll be heading back to catch this one as well. But I've always had weird tastes. For instance: I actually enjoyed Anchorman 2. :p
How anybody can enjoy the Alien Vs Predator: Requiem is beyond me. You can't fucking see anything in that movie! There is absolutely no light at all whatsoever.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
Can't be any worse then Predators, I found that movie freaking boring not to mention kinda pointless, what was Fishburne's character again... aaaw, who cares.

I never really got how this franchise or or Alien's lasted this long. The first films were great with tons of room for expansion and were followed with decent sequels but from then on both franchises were just awful.

Hollywood, where nothing will EVER die.

Kenbo Slice said:
How anybody can enjoy the Alien Vs Predator: Requiem is beyond me. You can't fucking see anything in that movie! There is absolutely no light at all whatsoever.
True facts, someone actually thought it was a good idea to zoom in as close as possible and combine blurry cam with strobe lighting, freaking genius.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Kenbo Slice said:
I don't claim to be a fanboy of much, but I will say that I'm a fanboy of Aliens and Predators. I don't have any Alien or Predator merchandise, really. I just really, really like both franchises. So personally, I loved AvP:R. I mean come on! DOUBLE SHOULDER-CANNONS!!!! :p

Oh, and the whip was pretty sweet too. :3

Ever since the first AvP shooter on PC waaaaaaaaay back in 1999 I've been a completely biased fan. I loved playing as a Predator. I loved playing as an Alien. And I've yet to play a game more that's had me more jumpy and scared than the Marine campaign...except, of course, for the Marine campaign in AvP2 for PC.

Soooooo yeah, any I'll take any chance to see aliens and/or predators up on the big screen.

All that said, however, I do still say that Colonial Marines fucking sucked. :p

Kenbo Slice

Deep In The Willow
Jun 7, 2010
RJ 17 said:
Kenbo Slice said:
I don't claim to be a fanboy of much, but I will say that I'm a fanboy of Aliens and Predators. I don't have any Alien or Predator merchandise, really. I just really, really like both franchises. So personally, I loved AvP:R. I mean come on! DOUBLE SHOULDER-CANNONS!!!! :p

Oh, and the whip was pretty sweet too. :3

Ever since the first AvP shooter on PC waaaaaaaaay back in 1999 I've been a completely biased fan. I loved playing as a Predator. I loved playing as an Alien. And I've yet to play a game more that's had me more jumpy and scared than the Marine campaign...except, of course, for the Marine campaign in AvP2 for PC.

Soooooo yeah, any I'll take any chance to see aliens and/or predators up on the big screen.

All that said, however, I do still say that Colonial Marines fucking sucked. :p
Yeah double laser cannons are cool, BUT YOU CAN'T SEE THEM!

So bad

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Kenbo Slice said:
Yeah double laser cannons are cool, BUT YOU CAN'T SEE THEM!

So bad
To be fair, I will acknowledge that you do have a perfectly valid point. On the other hand, watching that montage just made me want to watch the movie again. :3

Could the lighting be better? Yeah. That's the price of having the movie set at night. Still, I can't really see the action of this movie happening in the middle of the day...as Newt tells us: "They mostly come at night...mostly." Still, the first movie had better lighting and it took place in an ancient pyramid buried beneath the ice. :p

Even so, the predator in AvP:R is just too much of a badass for me to say I didn't thoroughly enjoy that movie.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Grouchy Imp said:
Oh for fuck's sake...

Why not build on a franchise, rather than constantly starting from square one?
The only reason they're rebooting this (or anything) is simple: nostalgia exploitation.
By adding to a franchise, they have to take continuity into account and that requires putting actual effort into the writing; effort that takes time. It's much easier to just throw all the old continuity out the window and start over, which is much easier for the hacks to work with.

Hence, reboot instead of sequel.

I'm certain it's going to be mediocre at best, and absolute shit compared to the iconic original.
Of course, original thought is a cardinal sin in Hollywood these days, so that's just business as usual.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
Makabriel said:
But.. But .. GAH no! This'll be the third reboot? If you count Predators as a reboot.
*sigh*
Now Hollywood is just going crazy..
Yeah, that was my thought as well. >_>

I guess it technically could of been a sequel to Predator, via same the logic as Alien to Aliens.

Since "big alien guy coming down and trying to find worthy prey" is a very easy plot to set up (any special forces group, and I do mean ANY special forces group, kept out of radio contact in any secluded location on Earth could work), I fail to see WHY it needs to be a "reboot."

CriticalMiss said:
zelda2fanboy said:
Just what a Predator movie needs: cutesy self conscious in-jokes and winks to the audience. Oh and it has the Robocop 3 director helping out? This is gonna be gold!
I hope they take it to the next level by putting in a laugh track after all of the repeats of lines from the original.
"If it bleeds, we can kill it."

HUHAHAHA!

"What the fuck was that?"

"IT'S MOCKING US!"

*Starts to the spray the jungle in lead*

HUHAHAHA!

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
AndrewC said:
It's not like the film could be any worse than Iron Man 3 (MY GERSH DERN ERRPERRNYEN) right...? *nervous chuckle* C'mon guys, someone back me up here.
Oh it's possible. It'll be very challenging but I have faith that this movie will continue the general trend of reboots being quite shitty. He's already shown us that he can make a bad movie, now he can role up his sleeves and make an even worse one.

Ratty

Jan 21, 2014
Predators was just 4 years ago, I'm surprised Fox is giving up on the franchise. Because let's face it, these days reboots are usually just one last grab at nostalgia dollars before taking a franchise out behind the shed. If I remember correctly in the extras to the 15th anniversary edition of the film Black said he took the role in the movie[footnote]Which is little more than a cameo, he's the first one to get killed and he's never really mentioned again after Jessie Ventura's character dies shortly after. Betraying the character's tacked-on origin.[/footnote] basically as a loop-hole for the studio to pay him to do on-location rewrites to the script. Since the studio's money men would pay to send an actor to the location but not a script reviser. Should be morbidly interesting to see what he comes up with at least.

Oh well we'll always have the original.

http://www.theonion.com/articles/universal-studios-warner-bros-enter-talks-to-reduc,36250/ Oh Onion, sometimes we wish you were a real news site.