Shane Kim: Natal About "Winning This Generation"

cleverlymadeup

Mar 7, 2008
natal will fall flat, it's too much like the PS3 Eye/Eye Toy but with added voice support, which will not work all that great. if you think it will, just wait till the Glaswegians or other UK accents get a hold of them

for speech recognition to be good they need 1hr+ of training and i don't think they will do that and it always needs to train.

we've seen what the PS3 Eye/Eye Toy can do and that's about what we can expect from natal, if that

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
If Natal can get the "Minority Report experience" to work on the console, I think maybe Kim might not be quite so far off in la-la-land as he appears. That, however, is a big "if" there.

I love the idea of Natal... I just hope that developers can use that idea better than the 3rd-party developers have with the Wiimote.

-- Steve

Pendragon9

Apr 26, 2009
Yeah, I don't see this happening. This guy can dream all he wants, but the most the 360 will ever outsell is probably the PS3, and even then I doubt it will be a very big difference. If he wants to outsell the Wii, he's gonna have to sell his soul to Jack Thompson. (AKA the devil)

Sixties Spidey

Elite Member
Jan 24, 2008
This is what these people don't understand. THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS THE CONSOLE WARS YOU JACKASSES. Never was, never will be. It's just a marketing ploy to enlist you as an unpaying consumer.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
People that feel akward holding a controller probably shouldn't be playing video-games.

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
Crimsane said:
This is about unlocking the potential and breaking down all the barriers that remain that prevent people who are intimidated or feel awkward with a controller in their hand - anything that prevents them from jumping in and having a great time with Xbox 360 and Xbox Live.
How is jumping and waving your arms around like a monkey less intimidating or awkward than using a controller, exactly?
Well if you've ever been in an electronics store that sells video cameras, apparently acting like a doofus in front of them while in plain view of people is natural.

Grampy_bone

Mar 12, 2008
No release date, no games, staged tech demos, and they claim their product will change the face of gaming? Huh? Just like Windows Vista and Microsoft Surface did right?

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
well, according to Shane Satterfield of Gametrailers who played the game behind closed doors at E3, Milo is actually quite underwhelming (the actions and such are very specific), but he also said that Natal itself was very impressive. Based on this statement, I'd say that Milo isn't the game thats going to drive sales for Natal, but it does have the potential to have sweet (and yet unannounced) games to drive it forwards.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
In terms of gaming potential, I think Natal will be great for mini-games, but I can't see it working in other situations.

Of course, there's always the chance that it'll come around to surprise us: look at what happened with the Wii. Everyone thought it would be a flop, and WHAMMO: it became the top-selling console of this generation.

Alphavillain

Jan 19, 2008
It seems like games are becoming more like real life, reminding us of real life, and therefore making us more and more painfully aware that we're not living a real life when playing games. I think I'm just at the age where I see something like this and part of me thinks "wow" whereas the other part thinks "why not just go outside and play some footie?"

Symp4thy

Jan 7, 2009
I am still not convinced of the "potential" that some people see in the Natal. I am almost sure it will not work like they want it to. And Shane Kim can make all the claims he wants, but it won't change the fact that the Natal is totally a gimmick and attempt to capture some of the Nintendo crowd. I can't believe he actually brought up the "console war." How does one win this war? I assume it is by selling the most consoles. Guess what Sony and Microsoft? You could sell twice as many consoles as Nintendo and Nintendo will still have made more money than you in console profits. So who's the real winner?

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
wrecker77 said:
You do not win the console wars. Ever.
You can win by making the opposition discontinue their console. That's the way the PC has defeated the last 6 generations and everybody else has beaten atari and sega.

Sixties Spidey

Elite Member
Jan 24, 2008
UndeadGamerNinja187 said:
buy teh haloz said:
This is what these people don't understand. THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS THE CONSOLE WARS YOU JACKASSES. Never was, never will be. It's just a marketing ploy to enlist you as an unpaying consumer.
Then what is it when fanboys/girls argue about which console is better and refuse to believe otherwise?
Thats the console wars

P.S And if im wrong, which i probally will be IM A NOOB!......so it's not my fault!

P.S.S And IMHO halo 3 sux.

P.S.S.S Farewell
Again, it isn't a console war at all. It's just a war of tastes. That's why people argue over which is best. It's just a matter of taste and personal preferences clashing with others.

And again, you think Halo 3 sucks. That's your personal opinion. I think Halo 3 is a brilliant game. Does that make me wrong because it's my opinion? No. That's why there's no such thing as a console war. It's just a war of personal preference and opinions.

Sewblon

Nov 5, 2008
Anyone else remember the PS2 Eyetoy? It was basically the same thing as how they have described Natal. It was fun while it lasted but it did not revolutionize the industry. Even if they eventually make Natal perfect, using motion control is tiring in action games so you can not use it for them. Milo doesn't sound like it will send the +40 demographic, or anyone else, running to Microsoft. I prefer to feel a physically object when I play.